carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shook33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does everyone here think about carribean schools? Is your title still an MD? more or less prestige than DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Caribbean should be your absolute last resort. If your GPA, MCAT, and ECs are all in the gutter, start looking at it.

ACtually carib schools are getting quite competitive, at least the better ones that are gaining recognition by states such as california.

I would say carib MD > DO.

Still, try getting into a US school first. You might want to check out Puerto Rico schools. PR is a US colony so your not considered a foreign student and their MD = US MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
These schools are a last resort for those who cannot get into a US MD or DO school. They confer the MD degree at most institutions outside of the UK and India where the degree is an MBBS. Costs for some of these institutions are very high and there is a very large range in quality of instruction and preparation for US liscensing exams. Rather than paint with a broad brush, let me say that one can obtain a good education outside the United States at a wide variety of institutions in the Carribean, Mexico, Poland, etc. but you will face additional issues regarding obtaining a liscense and getting into some competitive specialties. None of these issues are deal breakers but require additional work should you take this path. I studied the subject extensively and applied internationally as well as domestically. If you would like to discuss the topic and get some references PM me.

shook33 said:
What does everyone here think about carribean schools? Is your title still an MD? more or less prestige than DO?

super_doc said:
I would say carib MD > DO.
That's a stretch. FMGs cannot practice in all 50 states and have fewer residency options. No so for DOs.

hermit said:
That's a stretch. FMGs cannot practice in all 50 states and have fewer residency options. No so for DOs.
Really? I thought FMGs can practice in all the states if they pass their boards...may I ask which states?

hermit said:

I thought that was more than a stretch

hermit said:

SGU grads can practice in all fifty states. That being said, I am applying D.O. (with no shot at U.S. M.D.'s due to a couple of poor semesters from a while back). I flirted with the idea of going SGU, but after weighing the pro's and the con's I believe D.O. is better. I think most people in my shoes feel the same way, but that is up to you.

Remember carib grads get the left overs as far as residency training goes. If you want to go carib, you can kiss some of the more competitive residencies good bye. D.O. schools have osteopathic only residencies in ALL specialties, albeit not in the numbers most students would like, the opportunity does exist.

Not for the Top 3 Carribean schools, one being Ross. You can practice in all 50 states. No problem.

I met up with a doctor from Ross at a local hospital of mine. He is doing very well as is another graduate from Ross who is the head of the opthomology department. You don't get to department head by going to a poor school.

Jezzielin said:
Not for the Top 3 Carribean schools, one being Ross. You can practice in all 50 states. No problem.

I met up with a doctor from Ross at a local hospital of mine. He is doing very well as is another graduate from Ross who is the head of the opthomology department. You don't get to department head by going to a poor school.

Interesting, he is an exception if he is doing ophthalmology. Then again, something like 10% of all SGU students transfer to allo schools after their first two years (I am sure they all have really good board scores and grades). I would be interested to see how these students do in the match, hmm?

BILAL said:
Really? I thought FMGs can practice in all the states if they pass their boards...may I ask which states?
I've read this in several places. One was a SDN parnter site linked off of the home page.

- - - -

No one is going to agree on this topic. I bet we can get a consensus that noone ever picked a caribbean school acceptance over a US school acceptance. Draw your own conclusions from there.

if you want the MD....carribbean should be ur last resort...they are mildly competitive and very expensive. In terms of quality, these schools are better than med schools in poland, china etc.

A long time friend of mine quit a carib school b/c his prof took him to go buy coke.

...feel free to draw conclusions

Zymogen said:
A long time friend of mine quit a carib school b/c his prof took him to go buy coke.

I guess your friend was a fan of Pepsi.

hermit said:
I've read this in several places. One was a SDN parnter site linked off of the home page.

- - - -

No one is going to agree on this topic. I bet we can get a consensus that noone ever picked a caribbean school acceptance over a US school acceptance. Draw your own conclusions from there.

Ross, SGU and AUC grads can practice in all 50 states. That is a fact. Ignorance is not an excuse to spread false information.

As for DO vs. MD, it depends on the person so there is no correct answer for all people.

Zymogen said:

your friend was prolly from a low tier carib school....prolly the school must have opened up a couple of years ago...and hired anyone they could find.....

People who go to caribbbean.....make sure the school is reputable and has a long history to back it!

My brother went to SGU, he had a 3.5 gpa in med school and did semi well on his USMLE's (218,188,210) respectively, he and his friends from SGU easily got residencies in NY and now my brother is a fellow for GI at his hospital which is very competitive to get into.

A MD is an MD, once u graduate regardless if ur from the carribeans, there is nothing that can distinguish that you went to the carribeans to anybody that isn't looking at your transcript/profile etc.

I'm applying to SGU and Ross as a backup for next fall =)