CARS timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roxasblade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm been working on TPR and EK Verbal timed and get like 60% correct. However, I've started to do passages un-timed and feel that I can comprehend the passage more and be able to analyze and dissect the questions, thus getting more correct. I know this is common sense, because more time on CARS = probably a better % correct. But how would I increase my speed in CARS, while maintaining my accuracy?

Is there any strategies, or does it just take more time and practice (such as starting my CARS passage 16 minute per passage and limit my timing as my test date approaches)?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to practice timed, starting now. Aim for:

11 minutes for 7 questions
10 minutes for 6 questions
9 minutes for 5 questions

Reading the passage should take about 3-4 minutes, and each question should take about 1 minute.

Reactions: 1 users
Just get as many right as you can, honestly if you rush you WILL get a lot of ones incorrect that you should get correct. Im not saying take 90 mins on one passage, but I found that limiting yourself to time frames each passage is very detrimental. Im saying do as many as you can accurately, then with 10 mins left speed through and finish the last couple passages. With practice reading the months leading up to the mcat the timing will take care of itself and come to you.

GL

Hi guys,
I'm been working on TPR and EK Verbal timed and get like 60% correct. However, I've started to do passages un-timed and feel that I can comprehend the passage more and be able to analyze and dissect the questions, thus getting more correct. I know this is common sense, because more time on CARS = probably a better % correct. But how would I increase my speed in CARS, while maintaining my accuracy?

Is there any strategies, or does it just take more time and practice (such as starting my CARS passage 16 minute per passage and limit my timing as my test date approaches)?
Those are great tips from above posters. Timing is key to CARS. Instead of using a regimented amount of time per passage based on question amount, I found it helpful to give myself 10 minutes per passage at most. Sometimes you'll get a passage with a lot of questions, but the passage was enjoyable to read and comprehend, and the questions aren't too bad. In that case, don't force yourself to sit there for 10 minutes. Move on, and used that saved time on more difficult questions that are going to show up sooner or later!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I agree with several of these posts that suggest accuracy over regimented time frames. It makes a lot of sense in the following way; some passages are relatively straight-forward (requires less time) while others are way more difficult (requires more time). If you approach each passage in a focused way your overall accuracy shouldn't be a problem (based on your comment about un-timed passages), and your speed will most definitely improve.

I'm using the TPR 5-minute drill for the 2 hardest passages in the section. I usually only have ~12 mins for the last 2 passages.

Has anyone used the 5-min drill and have opinions about it?

I usually use a stopwatch to see how long I'm taking on each passage and aim for around 11-12 min per passage. Somehow with the actual timer counting down on the question packs and the full length made me speed up since you have a better grasp of the time.

As far as accuracy, I spent more time reading (~5 min) so I understand the passage. That makes answering the questions a lot easier if you know what the passage is saying. Use KoalaT's strategy to guide you!

Hi guys,

Hi guys,

I agree with westbill's comment, but I would add/ask one thing: can you determine if the type of questions you get wrong under duress? It might be that there's a patterning to the wrong responses that you might try to improve upon.

I agree with westbill's comment, but I would add/ask one thing: can you determine if the type of questions you get wrong under duress? It might be that there's a patterning to the wrong responses that you might try to improve upon.

To clarify, do you mean if I can determine which questions I get wrong when I'm under timed conditions?

If so then yes. Especially, for difficult passages, where I do NOT understand the main point, and try to take an educated guess through the what I feel might be the main idea of the entire passage.

To clarify, do you mean if I can determine which questions I get wrong when I'm under timed conditions?

If so then yes. Especially, for difficult passages, where I do NOT understand the main point, and try to take an educated guess through the what I feel might be the main idea of the entire passage.

Based on your response to rmalia, here's something you could do: go back, look at the passages that you thought were difficult and you answered incorrectly (and I'm assuming wrong answers were of the type that asked for the central theme of the passage), and see if you can now find those phrases or sentences that suggested the central theme (which you should be able to do now that you know the right answer). Then, look at new practice passages, and without worrying at all about your timing, see if you can find clues (similar to the phraseology in previously used passages) to help you make a stronger decision. Obviously, the wordings will be utterly dissimilar, but you may deduce some patterns applicable to the new passages. This could be time consuming, but you might find it to be immensely helpful.

There's an interesting strategy that was presented to us during my recent TPR course. I personally didn't follow it, but now I wish I would have given it a shot since I can't get above ~70-75% consistently. Might work for you.
Short story: TPR recommends you ranking and ordering the passages first, clicking through each one, reading a sentence or two and giving them a "Now", "Later" or "Killer" rating. Obviously, the "Now" passages are done first, the "Later" second and the "Killer" only if you have time. The assumption behind that is that spending more time on your easier passages = more correct answers that will balance out the guesses on your "Killer" passages.
I do think a good strategy is to pick only one passage as you come to it (for me, I hate economics), fill in answers with "Letter of the Day" and then spend that time on the remainder of your passages. I didn't feel comfortable leaving multiple (or any) passages blank, and then having to rush back through, figure out timing for each one on the fly, etc.