CARS Vocab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAVNY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a resource I can look at in order to improve my vocabulary for the CARS section? I have a good background with difficult words, but I've noticed a few that keep coming up that I don't know and I'm wondering if there is a list I should memorize.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're ESL I don't recommend this method. You should be focused on honing your contextual skills to derive the meanings of words bc no matter how much "memorization" you do, there will be a word on your CaRs section that you still don't know. Or a few.

Just use a dictionary app to look stuff up when reviewing your passages if you must

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Vocab words will most of the time fit the tone of the passage, hence why i recommend the EK methods. On the MCAT, you dont even have to know what they words means, as long as it fits the author tone, it;s probably the best AC. So, you should get these questions right just by knowing the main idea.

DavNY:

Vocabulary words may not be the highest yield method in your CARS study. However, I read on here, one guy who studied 1000 vocabulary words over a two months period, it apparently helped him score well.

How much time do you have before your exam? If say you have over six months, then it could help improve your comprehension. I would suggest that you go to the following website and sign up for their word of the day:

Word of the Day: Flack

Again if you only have 3-4 months before your exam I would not exactly recommend that method. On the other hand, if you have six months or more I would say first get a note book. Each time you see a word in your CARS practice that you don't know write it down in your note book with it's meaning. This may help with your comprehension. However, I do not recommend you do so with less than 4 months before your test. Best of luck.