Carving Scores for American Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hibernate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a Canadian student and wrote the Candian DAT in February for the first time. This will be my first time applying to dental school and I'm hoping to get my applications submitted in the next few days. My DAT scores are as follows:
RC 24
Bio 20
Chem 21
Science total 20
AA 22
Perception 20
Carving 6

Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.45

Basically I freaked out during the carving portion and really bombed it. Til now I didn't think it would matter since the American DAT does not have a carving section but recently I've been told this will definitely hurt my chances. Please let me know your honest opinions on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

those are good scores, but ur carving is definitely gonna raise a flag. i got an 11 in carving and i called all the schools i was going to apply to. most said they will look at it but won't be too 'concerned' about it. but i'm going to be honest with you. a 6 really looks bad. nyu also rejected me (my aa was 20, total science 21) because they said my carving was only 11. u may want to look into re-writing...just my honest opinion.

those are good scores, but ur carving is definitely gonna raise a flag. i got an 11 in carving and i called all the schools i was going to apply to. most said they will look at it but won't be too 'concerned' about it. but i'm going to be honest with you. a 6 really looks bad. nyu also rejected me (my aa was 20, total science 21) because they said my carving was only 11. u may want to look into re-writing...just my honest opinion.

this is true. although carving is not on American DAT, they actually do have a cut off (whatever that may be).. Just write the american test! You can schedule is pretty much whenevr.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have another question regarding the flip side to the situation,
oGPA/sGPA: 3.3/3.42
CDAT: AA/TS/PAT/Carving: 19/19/19/23

Do you think that having a descent score helps considering my other scores are barely average?

I've already decided to retake the Canadian DAT in November. My only question is whether or not this will affect my chance at getting interviewed and accepted before the December deadline since they won't have my new scores to consider in their decision.

although the american DAT doesn't have carving, it does have the organic chemistry section which the canadian DAT does not

Heh heh, funny thing about that. All they do is look at how you did in orgo1 and 2. Seems to be a pretty good indicator of how much organic chem you understood since you can't really take easier organic chem classes in Canada.