Case discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaryngoSpazz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten a lot out of the case discussions here in the past so here’s my attempt to keep it going.

50s F smoker, h/o MH for cysto, homium laser, stent, ESWL. Normal size, reasonable airway, NPO.

TIVA running, LMA placed, case proceeds uneventfully through cysto, laser, stent portion. Upon repositioning for ESWL portion, pt vomits and bilious output visible in mouth and inside of LMA.

1. What do you do now? I’m particularly curious about sequence of events with suctioning, LMA removal, etc…

2. Lets now assume difficult airway. Does this change your above sequence of events?

3. Do you proceed with ESWL?

More to come…

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tell surgeon to stop for a minute, push paralytic, remove LMA while suctioning, intubate. Probably would suction through tube as well. Continue case.

If known difficult airway, probably would call for help, once help arrived would then intubate through the LMA with a scope or do a glide scope. Would depend on history of difficult airway.

Head down, suction & RSI dose ROC at the same time, LMA out with suction connected to it, intubate, bronch, hope for the best?

Immediate paralytic isn't just to facilitate intubation, but also to kill their respiratory drive to reduce aspiration risk.

I did a case Sunday in an allegedly NPO patient. CRNA goosed the tube, stomach contents came up in ETT. Head down, connected the suction tubing to the ETT and removed it, got a clean tube and put it in the trachea on the next attempt.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by difficult airway? Known difficult airway or MP3 on exam? I don’t think my sequence of events changes much either way.

Usually ESWL tables don’t move much, so can’t do head down? Call for help/glidescope, push 100mg Roc, suction mouth and pharynx before pulling LMA, flexible suction down LMA while pulling. DL if help hasn’t arrived with glidescope yet or proceed straight to glidescope. Have fresh LMA handy in case you can’t intubate. Suction down ETT. Proceed with case if vitals stable.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve gotten a lot out of the case discussions here in the past so here’s my attempt to keep it going.

50s F smoker, h/o MH for cysto, homium laser, stent, ESWL. Normal size, reasonable airway, NPO.

TIVA running, LMA placed, case proceeds uneventfully through cysto, laser, stent portion. Upon repositioning for ESWL portion, pt vomits and bilious output visible in mouth and inside of LMA.

1. What do you do now? I’m particularly curious about sequence of events with suctioning, LMA removal, etc…

2. Lets now assume difficult airway. Does this change your above sequence of events?

More to come…
Seems like we are talking about a significant amount of vomitous.
(If it had been only very minor tinge of bile maybe I would leave it in and ventilate with it after ROC, jugement call)

My feeling is that you cannot adequately suction around an LMA.

LMA comes out.
Suction.
Roc.
Mask Ventilation.
More suction before intubation.
Intubation.
Continue with case.

I would do the same for a difficult intubation. Even if the airway is difficult, Im not going to continue to blow a good amount of vomitous through the oropharynx and airway via the LMA just because Im afraid to remove it. I may call for the glidescope. But im not going to let my fear of unable to intubate this guy (very rare) worsen the known ongoing aspiration.

Reactions: 1 users
One key aspect here is not ventilating before suctioning (i.e. don't make the aspiration worse), if possible. The other is giving high dose roc to abort retching and upper esophageal muscle activity (remember, the first few centimeters have skeletal muscle). Unlike sux, roc can be reversed with suggamadex, in case of a Cannot Intubate Cannot Oxygenate situation.

Also, if I suctioned solid food particles in a patient with hypoxemia, I would take a look with a bronchoscope after intubation. I might be able to remove particulate matter before it ends up being pushed deep into the lung.

This doesn't apply to this case, but, if the patient still has airway reflexes, and maybe I even hear a nice laryngospasm (NOT bronchospasm), that may be their savior. Unless I'm convinced that there is ongoing aspiration, I will not paralyze and intubate that patient, just remove the LMA, suction, turn them on their side, suction more and keep watching. I've seen cases when, during an upper GI endoscopy, a ton of bile came up suddenly (which should have given a royal aspiration pneumonitis), but the patient went into laryngospasm and there was minimal aspiration with no clinical consequences.

Whether one continues the case depends on the severity of the immediate aspiration pneumonitis. If I'm having trouble oxygenating the patient, I abort the case. If it looks like a minor event, I reassure the surgeon and keep going.

There are many judgment calls in these cases, hence they make for excellent oral boards material. Assuming this, assuming that...

An aspiration can be a stressful event, so I try to stay calm, keep doing the right things and remember that the pulse oximeter is showing the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
If oxygenating and ventilating well, stop ventilation briefly and suction aggressively first. It's possible that the LMA seal prevented anything particulate from going distally. I don't think positioning will make any dramatic impact but sure try head down (unlikely to be possible if this is a standard ESWL OR table). Once you feel like you have removed everything from the oropharynx, quickly intubate then bronch with suction. Holding ventilation is usually not feasible. Try to remove any large particulate matter if seen.

If difficult airway, get the bronch/video laryngoscope in the room quickly, but wouldn't change my sequence of events.

If airway was established uneventfully and oxygenating/ventilating without issue, proceed with this case since it's a short procedure. The damage (if any) has already been done. It would suck for the patient if it was all for naught.

Ok lots of good responses so far. So let’s continue. The patient coughs and I notice some aspirate exiting the mouth and a little in the breathing circuit. I immediately suctioned around LMA and took it out while suctioning behind. I then drew up roc, paralyzed and intubated relatively swiftly, all without any real desaturation. Given that the patient was halfway down a large ESWL table when it happened there was no head down option but that is a good thought. In my practice I do not routinely have a syringe of roc drawn up or a blade or tube out to intubate so there was a lot to do quickly and a was thankful the patient had an easy airway.

If it had been a more difficult airway I would have needed more time and extra hands to accomplish this. I think in that case I would do my best to suction around and inside of LMA but leave it in and wait to paralyze until help arrived as I was still exchanging air well at that point despite aspiration having occurred.

Patient was doing well after all this so I proceeded with 20 min ESWL. After about 10 minutes I notice airway pressures are rising to the point that tidal volumes delivered are inadequate. Now what?

Ok lots of good responses so far. So let’s continue. The patient coughs and I notice some aspirate exiting the mouth and a little in the breathing circuit. I immediately suctioned around LMA and took it out while suctioning behind. I then drew up roc, paralyzed and intubated relatively swiftly, all without any real desaturation. Given that the patient was halfway down a large ESWL table when it happened there was no head down option but that is a good thought. In my practice I do not routinely have a syringe of roc drawn up or a blade or tube out to intubate so there was a lot to do quickly and a was thankful the patient had an easy airway.

If it had been a more difficult airway I would have needed more time and extra hands to accomplish this. I think in that case I would do my best to suction around and inside of LMA but leave it in and wait to paralyze until help arrived as I was still exchanging air well at that point despite aspiration having occurred.

Patient was doing well after all this so I proceeded with 20 min ESWL. After about 10 minutes I notice airway pressures are rising to the point that tidal volumes delivered are inadequate. Now what?
I do a pretty bare bones setup but after getting burned a couple times like this, I always have sux and a tube easily accessible. Not having to scramble for equipment in that moment makes a difference

Reactions: 3 users

Sounds like you did the right things. The damage was done and you did what you could not to let things get worse.

What was the nature of the vomitus? Burrito chunks or liquid bile? Either way, a FOB washout and bronchodilators seem in order. I hope this cysto/ESWL was at a hospital and the patient did not have new onset DOE of unexplained etiology before you started.

• Haha
Sounds like you did the right things. The damage was done and you did what you could not to let things get worse.

What was the nature of the vomitus? Burrito chunks or liquid bile? Either way, a FOB washout and bronchodilators seem in order. I hope this cysto/ESWL was at a hospital and the patient did not have new onset DOE of unexplained etiology before you started.

He’s the implanting physician of the endotracheal tube so new onset DOE doesn’t really matter as long as it’s not pneumonia.

• Haha
I do a pretty bare bones setup but after getting burned a couple times like this, I always have sux and a tube easily accessible. Not having to scramble for equipment in that moment makes a difference

Yep I almost always have the tube, blade and paralytic easily accessible. Don't open it but make it easy for me or someone else to open right away if I need it.

Question since reversal of roc was mentioned. How long does it take to reverse an intubating dose of roc with 16mg/kg sugammadex? I haven’t had this come up in my practice YET. Faster than an intubating dose of sux wearing off?

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't care if you're the King Stud 'ologist of all of SDN...tube, blade, and paralytic should be within an arm's reach if you're doing anything more than true mild sedation.

Question since reversal of roc was mentioned. How long does it take to reverse an intubating dose of roc with 16mg/kg sugammadex? I haven’t had this come up in my practice YET. Faster than an intubating dose of sux wearing off?
I would assume as fast as you can give it + 30-60 seconds.

Apparently it takes less than 2 minutes:

Yes, it’s faster than sux. For some absurd reason some hospital pharmacies are still restricting access to the drug because of cost, so it’s often not close at hand when you might need it. That is often the rate-limiting step with using it. We have zero issue taking a laryngoscope and using it for 6 seconds and then throwing it into the trash, but we can’t have easy access to a drug that is far superior to alternatives in almost every imaginable way. But I digress…

Thanks, yes thankfully my institution broke down and we have it in room carts now. I use it on virtually every patient that needs reversal for the past 4 years, just haven’t needed a 16mg/kg dose yet.

Apparently someone did a study too.

Thanks, yes thankfully my institution broke down and we have it in room carts now. I use it on virtually every patient that needs reversal for the past 4 years, just haven’t needed a 16mg/kg dose yet.

Apparently someone did a study too.

I have never needed it either.

I was also editing my post with the same study as you were posting. :D

I would have done the same -

Except when pulling the LMA, I would have called for help because why not? Best case scenario - they show up after the tube is placed - but probably they will get there to help you set up the glide scope, draw the roc, stylet the tube - or whatever.

I'd call for a brunch to make sure there is no particulate matter in the airway. Also did you switch out the circuit?

I'd call for a brunch to make sure there is no particulate matter in the airway. Also did you switch out the circuit?

Brunch after a case like that is key. What are you going for? I’m thinking a tall stack of pancakes, eggs over easy, and some nice bacon.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

More to come…

Pull out LMA, suction out mouth, intubate and fiberoptic to exam airway and suction out aspirated especially if particulates. Hard to say how much patient could have aspirated in this particular scenario. I would watch sats for a while, it usually declares itself in 2 hours or so. If pt seems reasonable then consider extubation. If unstable then ICU. I would not proceed with an elective case.

I don't care if you're the King Stud 'ologist of all of SDN...tube, blade, and paralytic should be within an arm's reach if you're doing anything more than true mild sedation.

I agree sort of. Certainly if you are a trainee or if you are in a new or unfamiliar location or if you think there is a high risk of needing to intubate all of these things should be out and within arms reach. I know exactly where they are in my location and they are within arms reach. However I think it’s a bit extreme to have a tube and blade out with the wrapper open and paralytic drawn up in a run of the mill LMA case. These things would get thrown away at my place of work and I see it as wasteful.

I would have done the same -

Except when pulling the LMA, I would have called for help because why not? Best case scenario - they show up after the tube is placed - but probably they will get there to help you set up the glide scope, draw the roc, stylet the tube - or whatever.
I agree - I did call for help but it was over by the time help arrived.

Aspirate was a greenish liquid, no solids. For those that wanted a bronch, I did one once it arrived a few minutes after intubation. There was evidence of aspiration as I could see trace bilious liquid present but there was really nothing to wash out.

More importantly, I now have a relatively normal bronch and case is proceeding but a few minutes go by and I am having trouble delivering adequate tidal volumes due to increased airway pressures. Sats are slowly trending down at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what’s going on?

Aspirate was a greenish liquid, no solids. For those that wanted a bronch, I did one once it arrived a few minutes after intubation. There was evidence of aspiration as I could see trace bilious liquid present but there was really nothing to wash out.

More importantly, I now have a relatively normal bronch and case is proceeding but a few minutes go by and I am having trouble delivering adequate tidal volumes due to increased airway pressures. Sats are slowly trending down at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what’s going on?
Differential diagnosis:
1. Surgery-related: Something pressing on patient's belly or chest. Pneumothorax from a blown-up bulla from ESWL.
2. Anesthesia-related: Patient light and breathing spontaneously. Muscle relaxant wearing off. Anaphylaxis. Anesthesia-machine problem (e.g. stuck expiratory valve).
3. Airway-related: Tube dislodged. Patient biting. Mucus or food plug. Bronchial intubation. Bronchospasm. Pneumonitis from massive aspiration.

I'm sure I forgot a lot of them.

With a normal bronch, I’m suspecting reactive airways and bronchospasm, maybe developing pneumonitis, pneumothorax is still possible. Would ventilate by hand, listen to both lungs, deepen and maybe albuterol to start.

What airway pressures and volumes are we talking?

Bronchospasm was my working theory at the time. Breath sounds equal but diminished, no audible wheeze. I started with albuterol down ETT, things getting worse at this point so I drew up some dilute epi and gave that too. By this point my end tidal co2 had pretty much disappeared. Hand bagging at this point becoming difficult as lot of pressure needed to make chest rise at all. Bronched again to check tube patent and placement, still basically normal appearing. Sats slowly but steadily dropping, now around 90. Thoughts?

Bronchospasm was my working theory at the time. Breath sounds equal but diminished, no audible wheeze. I started with albuterol down ETT, things getting worse at this point so I drew up some dilute epi and gave that too. By this point my end tidal co2 had pretty much disappeared. Hand bagging at this point becoming difficult as lot of pressure needed to make chest rise at all. Bronched again to check tube patent and placement, still basically normal appearing. Sats slowly but steadily dropping, now around 90. Thoughts?

Your tube is in the right spot and have bilat breath sounds which gets rid of main stem and makes PTX much less likely (though still in the back of my mind). No audible wheezing makes mild-mod B-spasm less likely. Could still be severe B-spasm as they often don’t have any wheezing because they’re so tight and air entry is so bad. Patient is also probably shunting on top of that from a combination of de-recruitment when airway got pulled out and alveoli being full of bilious fluid. I’d keep going with Epi, albuterol, add steroids and Benadryl in case it is anaphylaxis (any rash or hypotension?). Would increase fiO2, provide some recruitment breaths and go up on PEEP.

If patient was also getting hypotensive (which I don’t recall being told), my concern for PTX, PE, anaphylaxis goes up.

• Love
This description is very concerning for either autopeep in someone with bad COPD or asthma, or else pneumothorax. I would escalate the epinephrine, call for help, maybe call for an ultrasound, and would probably consider a percutaneous needle decompression.

This description is very concerning for either autopeep in someone with bad COPD or asthma, or else pneumothorax. I would escalate the epinephrine, call for help, maybe call for an ultrasound, and would probably consider a percutaneous needle decompression.
If you think AutoPEEP, then the first thing to do is disconnect the tube from the circuit. That usually fixes it. If it's AutoPEEP.

Also, regardless of the cause, one of the first things to do (if vitals are stable except for hypoxia) is to deepen anesthesia (i.e. propofol) which I haven't seen mentioned by OP, and, once one gets to the point described by the OP, switch to an ambubag, because that isolates the problem to the ETT and the patient. Also, pass a suction catheter through the ETT, because that rules out the ETT being kinked or bitten. Now one can think systematically about what's wrong distal to the ETT.

OP's description sounds like either a bad bronchospasm (e.g. anaphylaxis), a massive pneumo or big time ventilatory dyssynchrony (e.g. patient breath-holding). Or a mechanically-obstructed ETT. If it's not the machine. Stop the surgery, get help, get a fiberoptic bronchoscope while the sats are still good.

Screenshot_20221102_201015.jpg

Also, someone needs to get a C-arm and/or ultrasound to the room if bronchspasm treatment, deepening anesthetic, checking ETT patency, and bronch are insufficient to explain what's going on.

Reactions: 4 users
If you think AutoPEEP, then the first thing to do is disconnect the tube from the circuit. That usually fixes it. If it's AutoPEEP.

Also, regardless of the cause, one of the first things to do (if vitals are stable except for hypoxia) is to deepen anesthesia (i.e. propofol) which I haven't seen mentioned by OP, and, once one gets to the point described by the OP, switch to an ambubag, because that isolates the problem to the ETT and the patient. Also, pass a suction catheter through the ETT, because that rules out the ETT being kinked or bitten. Now one can think systematically about what's wrong distal to the ETT.

OP's description sounds like either a bad bronchospasm (e.g. anaphylaxis), a massive pneumo or big time ventilatory dyssynchrony (e.g. patient breath-holding). Or a mechanically-obstructed ETT. If it's not the machine. Stop the surgery, get help, get a fiberoptic bronchoscope while the sats are still good.
Agreed.

OP describes passing a bronch several times through a patent tube, so presumably there is no mucous plug or linking or biting. This makes me very concerned if you can’t ventilate by hand. And lack of etCO2 is ominous. Ambu is definitely a good idea, eliminates machine as a problem.

Ok nice comments everyone. Sorry for the delay in finishing this case up.

So to recap we have an intubated patient who’s now hypoxic and difficult to ventilate with extremely high airway pressures after a previous aspiration with an LMA. Bronch is normal, tube is in trachea, patient is not responding to deepening of anesthesia/albuterol/epinephrine. As some have mentioned a next good step would be to bypass the machine and ventilate with an ambu. We were just about to do this when we noticed the HME filter had a bit of a yellowish tinge to it. Basically the filter had absorbed some aspirate from before and it went unnoticed as it was a small amount. Nothing happened at the time but over a 15 minute period it had some sort of reaction with the filter and slowly dissolved or clogged it in some way to the point that it restricted airflow through the circuit. This manifested in what appeared to be a patient having bronchospasm as airway pressures rose steadily without any obvious cause. The ETCO2 was difficult to interpret as the sampling line airflow was restricted as well and it ultimately stopped giving a reading. As soon as the filter was removed from the circuit everything corrected. Luckily it was a young healthy patient and the hypoxia never got that bad so nothing came of it. Patient had no issues post op, was monitored for a bit longer than usual but ended up going home same day.

I’d never read about that one in the textbooks or heard about it from a colleague so thought it would be an interesting case to discuss so anyone who reads this can recognize it in the future. You’d think it would have been fairly obvious to see visually the aspirate in the circuit but I’ll tell you it wasn’t.

Reactions: 8 users

So to recap we have an intubated patient who’s now hypoxic and difficult to ventilate with extremely high airway pressures after a previous aspiration with an LMA. Bronch is normal, tube is in trachea, patient is not responding to deepening of anesthesia/albuterol/epinephrine. As some have mentioned a next good step would be to bypass the machine and ventilate with an ambu. We were just about to do this when we noticed the HME filter had a bit of a yellowish tinge to it. Basically the filter had absorbed some aspirate from before and it went unnoticed as it was a small amount. Nothing happened at the time but over a 15 minute period it had some sort of reaction with the filter and slowly dissolved or clogged it in some way to the point that it restricted airflow through the circuit. This manifested in what appeared to be a patient having bronchospasm as airway pressures rose steadily without any obvious cause. The ETCO2 was difficult to interpret as the sampling line airflow was restricted as well and it ultimately stopped giving a reading. As soon as the filter was removed from the circuit everything corrected. Luckily it was a young healthy patient and the hypoxia never got that bad so nothing came of it. Patient had no issues post op, was monitored for a bit longer than usual but ended up going home same day.

I’d never read about that one in the textbooks or heard about it from a colleague so thought it would be an interesting case to discuss so anyone who reads this can recognize it in the future. You’d think it would have been fairly obvious to see visually the aspirate in the circuit but I’ll tell you it wasn’t.
Good case. Had a machine malfunction on an internal piece of the anesthesia machine that caused a similar issue, piece got sent back to draeger.

That’s a nice case report for APSF.

Reactions: 4 users
I've seen the HME filter do this in a colleagues case. Also got a practice board exam station that went something like this:

You attend an assist call for a colleague who is struggling to ventilate a kid with an URTI. They aspirate/bronchospasmed on induction, colleague rammed a tube down and then the kid went into a bad bronchospasm. You arrive just as the colleague cancels the alarm as everything suddenly improved with a big cough by the patient. You end up hanging around and things deteriorate again.

Goes down a similar route to the case described above and you end up finding a tooth caught in the HME.

Apparently a real case also.

What did the EtCO2 and flow waveforms look like?

Re: the sugammadex reversal in a CICO --> I don't think that's usually described as a feasible strategy given the existing studies showing it takes 6+ minutes to source and give even in a well-drilled study environment.

Normally it's described as a rescue only when you are able to oxygenate, but cannot instrument. I.e. "green zone" in the vortex model. I.e. if you can just barely ventilate the patient with a 2-hand BVM --> then it's a good option. If you can't, and you've exhausted alternatives/optimisation --> your should be thinking FONA over sugammadex... even if the sats are still 100% and you think you got time.

At least that's what I've always understood.

Agreed. Also laryngospasm, as well as a poorly seated/obstructedLMA is a definite possibility.

Side discussion -

16 mg/kg is what the manufacturer says.

But ... I would bet real money that you could reverse an RSI dose of roc in less than a minute with two 200 mg vials.

1.2 mg/kg of roc in an adult is somewhere around 100 mg for non-morbidly-obese people.

How many times have you seen 200 mg of sugammadex completely reverse 50 mg of roc? I see it aaaaaaall the time when supervising. People get real generous with roc, even toward the end of surgeries, now that sugammadex exists. It works and it's fast.

Anyway. I bet two little vials of sugammadex, not eight, would rapidly reverse a 100ish mg RSI dose of roc. Give what you've got. By the time someone fetches more vials from another room I bet you won't need it.

Side discussion -

But ... I would bet real money that you could reverse an RSI dose of roc in less than a minute with two 200 mg vials.

1.2 mg/kg of roc in an adult is somewhere around 100 mg for non-morbidly-obese people.

How many times have you seen 200 mg of sugammadex completely reverse 50 mg of roc? I see it aaaaaaall the time when supervising. People get real generous with roc, even toward the end of surgeries, now that sugammadex exists. It works and it's fast.

Anyway. I bet two little vials of sugammadex, not eight, would rapidly reverse a 100ish mg RSI dose of roc. Give what you've got. By the time someone fetches more vials from another room I bet you won't need it.

I agree with this. Based on experience with suga, a little seems to go a long way.

OP, cool case. Thanks for posting.

What did the EtCO2 and flow waveforms look like?
It progressed from a normal waveform to one that looks like spontaneous ventilation in a mac case with shallow breaths to no etco2 at all.

Side discussion -

I've had two people with pretty good tidal volumes prior to and after extubation report report subjective dyspnea in pacu about fifteen minutes later that resolved with additional sugammadex.

On topic, nice case. I've had a similar issue running low flows on a super long prone spine case and my filter was drenched due to all the humidity. I was about to bronch the patient when I realized that the filter was dripping and just changed it out.

I've had two people with pretty good tidal volumes prior to and after extubation report report subjective dyspnea in pacu about fifteen minutes later that resolved with additional sugammadex.
I've seen that also - people in PACU who look like they came out of the old days of neostigmine reversal, just a little weak or floppy. Perk right up with some extra sugammadex.

I've never quite understood the rationale behind weight-based dosing of sugammadex. (I know that's how they did the trials.) It's a drug that works on the rocuronium molecules in circulation, not on receptors or tissues, the quantity of which varies with weight. It ought to take the same number of sugammadex molecules to chelate 50 mg of rocuronium in a 50 kg person as in a 100 kg person. I'd expect the onset time to be a little different, but it's a 1:1 irreversible bond and then the drugs are consumed/gone.

And there are good reasons to minimize the sugammadex dose. Aside from cost, the side effects are definitely dose-related. It'd suck to reverse your RSI roc dose with a massive avalanche of sugammadex, only to find yourself dealing with bradycardia and bronchospasm ...

Side discussion -

Recently had an LMA on spont vent/sevo go south after a TURBT. Must be said I do keep two capped vials of sug, roc 50mg predrawn and a tube ready at hand for any and all cases involving urologists. This pt had pretty decent hyperkalemia(5.5), so doc didn't want sux anywhere near. Pt had poor dentition, big tongue, huge head, thick neck, but mallampati 2. 125kg, BMI of 40.

1) after induction with my doctor (pt was ASA3,whole host of issues, but no pulmonary ones), became apparent that controlled PP ventilation with the LMA wasn't going to happen. Mask ventilation with bilateral Larson's maneuver, two oropharyngeal airways and the doc on the bag was possible, but difficult.
After two minutes of fiddling with the LMA, though, got the patient to draw breath, used PSV at something like 2cmH2O, which was enough to stay away from hypercarbic country, but not so much that the LMA started leaking. At the start of surgery, got enough drive from the patient to turn off the PS completely, just had 3cmH2O of PEEP.

2) Surgery went well, as did the anesthetic, until the second the urologist decided she was done, and withdrew the scope. Patient at this point was at MAC 0.8,had received 50 mcg of fent a few minutes earlier(total of 150mcg, 65minutes). FiO2 at 0.5.

3) Laryngospasm, oh joy. Remember this pt responding badly to PPvent on the LMA? Sats dropped from 95 to 73 in a short minute. Called for help, pushed roc and intubated, had to bag with 30cmH2O to recruit for a minute.Sats up to 92. When doc arrived,we pushed 400mg sugammadex, back to 100% TOF after a total of 4 minutes since induction dose of roc. Woke the pt, extubated, no issues either at emergence or postop.

Lessons learned: LMAs are evil. Urologists are more often than others just suddenly done. It's better to have an anesthesiologist a max of three minutes away than further.

I believe we'd be fine with just one vial of sugammadex, but erred on the side of caution.

Apologies for a further derailing of this thread.