yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Not sure how long I will keep doing case of the week, but anyway, here is another one

This is an autopsy case, a 71 year old man with a 15 year history of a neurologic disorder resembling parkinson's (a movement disorder). He died of an acute coronary thrombosis.

First: MRI

postcontrastT1b.jpg

postcontrastcoronal.jpg

The MRI (and CT, which we don't have) shows an abnormal signal intensity, the same with and without contrast, in all of the basal ganglia, cerebellar dentate, and periventricular white matter. THought to represent mineralization with or without ischemic damage.

About the Ads

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Photo of an area of white matter towards occipital lobe (representative, a lot of the white matter was similar) shows some chalky gritty areas with small cystic like areas (kind of like ischemia).

15-1.jpg

The white matter of the cerebellum and dentate were similar.

Gray matter of the cortex and the white matter just beneath it were normal. Brain stem was normal. Substantia nigra had normal pigment.

Histology images later. :)

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Is this that idiopathic diffuse calcinosis entity that I think has a familial subcategory?

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's not just calcinosis though. It's ferrocalcinosis. As I said, Iron stain is also positive. And as google as now changed all of our lives as pathologists, if you put ferrocalcinosis in, voila, it comes up.

This is a case of Fahr's disease. Idiopathic cerebrovascular ferrocalcinosis. The usual site of most disease is the basal ganglia, and in this case as we see it also involves some white matter and the cerebellum, which is common. Supposedly there are familial forms, I don't know this patient's family history and neither did anyone else apparently. Dementia + Spasticity + rigidity/paralysis. Keys are that the mineralization is mostly centered on small vessels.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.