CASE rejection letter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tingteenfone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people, I received a letter from Case today saying that I have been rejected. Did anyone else receive the same thing?

I am from California, I went to University of California, San Diego, and have average GPA and decent DAT score.

Here are my stats:

major: neuroscience/animal physiology
cum GPA: 3.33
Sci GPA: 3.38

DAT score 22/23/18
here is the breakdown for my scores:
PAT:18
QR:18
RC:17
G CHEM: 20
BIO: 25
O CHEM:29
TS:23
AA:22

So far I have been rejected by Indiana University and Case, I know Indiana is selective and do not really select students from faraway states, what about CASE? But I thought Case is more generous but I got rejected this early. Any ideas? What r my chances at other schools? I have applied to:

USC
UCSF
UCLA
UoP
Arizona
Temple
UPenn
Columbia
Harvard
Boston U
NYU
Nova (interview Nov/14)
Indiana (rejected w/out sending my DAT score)
Case (rejected today via letter)

Any feedbacks would be appreciated, also if you have any questions about DAT sciences I will be happy to help you since I did pretty well on BIO and Ochem, btw I took my DAT on August 11 2006.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, based on stats alone i just can't see the reason for your rejection. They probably sent you a generic letter so you probably don't even know why they rejected you? There is no way your numbers aren't competitive with the applicant pool at this stage in the game. The only thing I could possibly think of is they want a higher RC score but that is stretching it.

Bummer man and good luck on the rest of your schools.

very strange, man. maybe they werent satisfied with your pre req course grades, or maybe your gpa fluctuated a lot over 4 years. i really cant see why those stats werent good enough for case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how it works with dental schools, but I know sometimes for med schools you can call them program up and say something like "Thank you for considering my application. Although I received a rejection, for future reference, can you please tell me how I could have improved my application?" That's sort of a nice and polite way of saying Tell me why I got a rejection!

I got the same 2 rejections already also. I dunno man. Maybe EC's?

man --- i don't know what to tell you. your DAT scores are slightly higher than mine but my GPA is higher than yours, and i got an interview at case.

thoughts: maybe they wanted a higher GPA, maybe they are looking at EC activities (do you have these?) esp. volunteer work, maybe they wanted to see shadowing hrs., maybe it is based on when you submitted your aadsas app. (if you submitted it "late" they may have just filled up their interview slots - although i would have thought they would have put you on a "hold" basis like some people have gotten if they still wanted to consider you even if their slots were full)

i would call and ask --- i mean you can't improve your app. unless you know why you are getting rejected b/c it obviously ISN'T your DAT scores

If those are your true scores, and I don't believe everything I read on here, then there must be something that is holding you back.

I know that the later you apply, the more competitive your pool of applicants becomes. Maybe everyone that sent their app in at the same time as you has better stats.

I sent everything in to aadsas on may15th. Sure Case didn't get it until june, but I received an invite for an interview on July19th. When I was interviewing there, the students all said "You are in for sure if you are interviewing right now".

I don't have the best stats at my school, but it was sure nice to hear that from the Case students.

When did you apply?

They also could have over 3000 apps already, David Dalsky told me that they were way over 3000 last year and he expects it to be even more competitive this year. Maybe they only want to interview 200 people. I know they are booked from now until mid december pretty much.

That sucks! But in same way its better to know now and not get your hopes up. Its funny because I have an interview at Case but not Nova--what are they looking at?

im surprised you got rejected this early in the cycle; you seem to have decent stats as far as GPA an DAT goes. maybe it was something in your file that the adcoms thought was pretty suspicious. i wouldnt know until i see your whole file. but its only september; and other schools havent even started looking at the applications yet. so keep your hopes up!

Well, to be more specific... a 17 is a "flag" and a GPA < 3.3 apparently finishes you off ("raises red flags") when I called them. But for a lot of schools, the minimum in RC is 18 so I figured in the OP's case, they wanted a higher RC score...

Seriously, none of that makes sense...especially with a 29 in Ochem?!?! It's really weird b/c I got interviews with Indiana and Case and my average scores are very close. When did you apply?

Case's interview spots are filling up really quickly. I just called today for an interview and the earliest I could get in was January 19th!!! So they must have received a ton of aps already and can afford to be selective.

AADSAS sent out my apps on August 9th. Which might be somewhat late? I have decent ECs btw. Those of you who got rejected could you guys please post stats and location? and those who got interviews please post them also?? Thank guys. U guys r really helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
They also could have over 3000 apps already, David Dalsky told me that they were way over 3000 last year and he expects it to be even more competitive this year. Maybe they only want to interview 200 people. I know they are booked from now until mid december pretty much.

That's probably the reason. Schools don't have the time or resources to interview everybody. Sometimes some good applicants probably slip through the cracks. That's the admissions game.

AADSAS sent out my apps on August 9th. Which might be somewhat late? I have decent ECs btw. Those of you who got rejected could you guys please post stats and location? and those who got interviews please post them also?? Thank guys. U guys r really helpful.

You should check out predents.com for an idea of stats that warrant an interview.

im surprised you got rejected this early in the cycle; you seem to have decent stats as far as GPA an DAT goes. maybe it was something in your file that the adcoms thought was pretty suspicious. i wouldnt know until i see your whole file. but its only september; and other schools havent even started looking at the applications yet. so keep your hopes up!

polarnut actually got rejected this early in the cycle also, but he cried and cried and finally they just wanted to stop hearing him complain so they let him in.

polarnut actually got rejected this early in the cycle also, but he cried and cried and finally they just wanted to stop hearing him complain so they let him in.

thats far better than how you got in....nasty

I am not sure how it works but I have gotten interviews from Case, Nova and UNC and my RC is only 16!!!(AA 21/TS 23/PA20) My applications were mailed out Aug 1
Can anyone explain this?

Sorry to hear about your rejection. I'm applying to case as well. My AADSAS sent out on July 18th, but my school health committee is very slow in the game. They still haven't sent out my letter yet, trust me i've been pushing them to send out my letter in every possible way =( My DAT is sort of the same as yours 21/21/17PAT, i guess i'm hopeless for case

Case's interview spots are filling up really quickly. I just called today for an interview and the earliest I could get in was January 19th!!! So they must have received a ton of aps already and can afford to be selective.

Jewels, when was your application mailed out? When did you receive the interview invite?

I had been pretty set on Case, but it looks like the chances are slim for those of us who submitted "late" (I didn't realize July would be considered late!). I can't believe their interview spots are filled into January. I hope to already be accepted somewhere by then!!

I GOT THE ANSWER
last year many students who had 24s in the dat got rejected by dental schools that had average accepting stats of 18s
its because your stats are high. you will get accepted to many dental schools, so they know case isn't one of your top choices.

Jewels, when was your application mailed out? When did you receive the interview invite?

I had been pretty set on Case, but it looks like the chances are slim for those of us who submitted "late" (I didn't realize July would be considered late!). I can't believe their interview spots are filled into January. I hope to already be accepted somewhere by then!!

My AADSAS mailed out August 9th. I received a package last week and then the invite yesterday. And my interview is in 5 months!!!

That's probably the reason. Schools don't have the time or resources to interview everybody. Sometimes some good applicants probably slip through the cracks. That's the admissions game.

That's exactly why I'm applying to 16 different schools...

You will be! Best of luck:thumbup:

You should seriously call up Case. Someone posted they got an interview with a higher gpa and lower dat score, and i got an interview with a higher dat score and lower gpa. To me, there's no reason why you would not get an interview, much less be rejected. Maybe there was a mix-up?

Not everyone is gonna get interviews cause they meet the "stats"...There may be some other factors that are considered or that Case looks for. Otherwise, they'd be interviewing many more students.

this is crazy i feel like this whole process is a mess and i am to the point where i am not sleeping at night because of it. i am sorry about your rejection man because i have worse stats then you and i got an interview i probably dont have much chance of getting in. this whole thing is driving me crazy.

I GOT THE ANSWER
last year many students who had 24s in the dat got rejected by dental schools that had average accepting stats of 18s
its because your stats are high. you will get accepted to many dental schools, so they know case isn't one of your top choices.
stewie totally agrees with this guy

I am not sure how it works but I have got interviews from Case, Nova and UNC and my RC is only 16!!!(AA 21/TS 23/PA20) My applications were mailed out Aug 1
Can anyone explain this?

What is your GPA?

I have a 15 in my RCT, but I got interview from Upenn and Columbia.

this is crazy i feel like this whole process is a mess and i am to the point where i am not sleeping at night because of it.

The process is very harrowing indeed. You aren't alone in your feelings. Don't lose sleep over it now becuase there isn't anything you can do. Your DAT is done, your GPA is complete--your application is what YOU have made it out to be.

i appreciate what you have said and it does comfort me we all have to go through something like this to become what we all want to be!

this is crazy i feel like this whole process is a mess and i am to the point where i am not sleeping at night because of it. i am sorry about your rejection man because i have worse stats then you and i got an interview i probably dont have much chance of getting in. this whole thing is driving me crazy.

i feel your pain/worry :scared:

this is definitely one of the most hair-raising and worry inducing scenerios i have EVER been in. all i talk about to family and friends concerns this process; i think they are all about to kill me and want it to be over just as much as i do :p

get an aromatherapy candle and play soothing music :D

I GOT THE ANSWER

Like, Master of Puppets, I too agree with ISSA. Likley goes something like this. "This kid is from the west coast and has great stats. He/she will almost surely get interview invites from the schools out that way and the ones in the New York/Philly/Boston area. In the past, how many of the folks that fit his/her profile do we actually get after extending interviews and acceptances. History suggests that they tend to not want to end up in the midwest if they have west coast or northeast options."

i was rejected by indiana and case, but got an intertview at upenn and vcu, which are both higher in stats. So you figure it out

i also got rejected by case. strange since i got the interview last year with a much worse gpa and less research and shadowing experience.

rejected too by case. it was hard but oh well....wasn't mean to be :)

Do schools frown on uneven scores? I heard that they prefer someone who scores consistently across all sections. In this person's case...a 29 on O Chem and a 17 on RC might be a "red flag" because of the huge gap...???

i was rejected by indiana and case, but got an intertview at upenn and vcu, which are both higher in stats. So you figure it out

case and indiana are on PBL curriculum. as such, they will be looking for candidates with high degree of self motivation, not just high individual stats on DAT and GPA.

I can see you getting rejected from case,

they are considered full now. They have enough students lined up for interviews to give them a great class and a great alternate list.

Its too late for Case! If you haven't heard anything yet, don't hold your breath. Case is as good as full.

Everybody says they apply to Case "Just in Case" that is not the case anymore. It is as competitive as any other school because they start the process the earliest and get good students to commit. They will have as many applicants this year as any other school.

If you have a 22 and a 3.5 and you submit it now, they aren't going to let you in, why? they already gave out the spot!

Case really makes me sad. They rejected me without receiving my DAT scores and one of my letters of rec. Plus, I received my rejection letter 2 days after they cashed in my check. :(

-----------------------------------------

edit: Oh apparently they did get my DAT scores. They just got it at an earlier time as other schools. Sorry, Case. I still love you.

case was a tease. first, they sent me the packet with all their brochures. two days later, i get the rejection letter. so disheartening. meanies.

Case really makes me sad. They rejected me without receiving my DAT scores and one of my letters of rec. Plus, I received my rejection letter 2 days after they cashed in my check. :(

when did u submit your application? I also apply case but haven't heard back anything from them yet (expect a letter saying my committe letter was missing back in July). My AADSAS application was completed in June but my undergrad school was slow in the game, they just sent out my rec letter this week. I thought I didnt' hear back from case b/c they hadn't reviewed my application. But it doesn't seem like that's the case. Well, i'll still keep my finger cross. Btw, what are your stats?

Do schools frown on uneven scores? I heard that they prefer someone who scores consistently across all sections. In this person's case...a 29 on O Chem and a 17 on RC might be a "red flag" because of the huge gap...???
That's unfair if that's the "case" :laugh:... but seriously I think a 25/25/17 is way better than a 18/18/18 although I can understand why in an interview stuff like this will be brought up.

when did u submit your application? I also apply case but haven't heard back anything from them yet (expect a letter saying my committe letter was missing back in July). My AADSAS application was completed in June but my undergrad school was slow in the game, they just sent out my rec letter this week. I thought I didnt' hear back from case b/c they hadn't reviewed my application. But it doesn't seem like that's the case. Well, i'll still keep my finger cross. Btw, what are your stats?

I submitted my app on June 4th. I had all my letters of rec in except for one.

Eh, my stats suck. GPA: 3.42. sGPA: 3.0. 21/20/17.

I was more upset at the fact that they had written the rejection letter before my check was cashed. It's kinda mean and shady.

I was more upset at the fact that they had written the rejection letter before my check was cashed. It's kinda mean and shady.

first off, your stats dont suck. second, i don't know why they rejected you but they still "deserve" their fee for reviewing your application.

first off, your stats dont suck. second, i don't know why they rejected you but they still "deserve" their fee for reviewing your application.

I know that they should still get paid... and they did.

But it would have made me feel much better to get my rejection way after they had cashed in my check. It just made me feel like they didn't even bother looking at my application.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think your stats is bad at all. My DATs is very similar to yours 21/21/17 =) So i want to think that your DATs is good =P Our cGPA are similar too 3.45 but my sGPA is a little higher 3.4 Oh well, like i said i would keep my finger cross. Good luck with other schools!!