CASE rejection letter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Calm down....as second year you still have the hybrid program. I know that at least General Path is identicial in format as when I had it last year. No one said 2nd year will be easy, and you will need to fight through it.

Yes, there maybe some courses that needs to be modified (even Dr. Weinberg mentioned it to me today), but all schools have this problem. I know you are just frustrated now, but let me tell you, 3rd year will be a lot better.

i realize that this program is relatively new but how long is it taking the admin to make changes to the cirriculum when they notice short-comings? how is this being handled by the school?

when will the first class that has gone through this hybrid PBL program take Part I and II of their boards?

AND, sorry but you are obviously VERY knowledgeable about case (seeing as you are attending ;) ) how do you feel about the program? do you feel you are being well trained/educated?

thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

They don't know... The test results are forwarded directly to the students so the school does not have a record of who passed or who failed. But Case prepares the students pretty well for the boards as tuition covers the Kaplan NBDE courses.

so, when you hear of schools telling people they have a ___ % passage rate, where are they getting those numbers? or that x number of students scored in the 90% and above? :confused:

how do schools have any idea how they are preparing their students if they don't know what the passage rate or scoring range is of their students??:confused:

sorry if this is totally naive :oops:

anybody else receieve anything from case?

did anybody with a low RC score get an interview at Case?

Members don't see this ad :)
The transition to the PBL program actually began with the class of 2009. What they have currently is the hybrid PBL curriculum (where most of their classes are traditional ones and only a few PBL courses). The full PBL style curriculum didn't take into effect until this year for the class of 2010. One of the reason that they made this change is because the new Part I boards will be more of the case-based questions and instead of having 4 separate sections, starting Jan 07 they will just one section, where questions of different subjects will be asked randomly.

Case felt because of this, and also the philosophy that you treat a patient as a whole, rather than discrete problems, caused them to make this change. They have began their planning in 2004 and have been slowly incorporating different aspects. I know they got into the full swing in 2005-06 and also utilized several upper year students to partake in case-based simulation studies (I was involved) to troubleshoot problems. I believe they have prepare themselves the best they could. As with all new creations, there will always be a period of teething troubles, but I am sure once they fine-tune the curriculum, it will be very good.

i realize that this program is relatively new but how long is it taking the admin to make changes to the cirriculum when they notice short-comings? how is this being handled by the school?

when will the first class that has gone through this hybrid PBL program take Part I and II of their boards?

AND, sorry but you are obviously VERY knowledgeable about case (seeing as you are attending ;) ) how do you feel about the program? do you feel you are being well trained/educated?

thanks!!! :)

anybody else receive anything from case?

anybody else receive anything from case?

yeah I got a letter that said "your trash...we used your application to wipe our asses, please do not reapply here. Thanks for your money, you dumb b#@ch."

There was also a picture of a middle finger, next to a burning pile of poo in the letter... I could have sworn my application was in the fire. three days later they cashed my check.

yeah I got a letter that said "your trash...we used your application to wipe our asses, please do not reapply here. Thanks for your money, you dumb b#@ch."

There was also a picture of a middle finger, next to a burning pile of poo in the letter... I could have sworn my application was in the fire. three days later they cashed my check.

It's too bad you didn't notice the check earlier. I would have canceled that thing as soon as the rejection letter was in my hands. Regardless of whether there's a cancelation fee or not, better the bank make a profit off of you than a school that rejected you. Mwa hahahahahaha!

I sent my check and deducted it out of the account the same day because I knew it would get cashed eventually. It sucks that they cash it after sending the rejection letter and we can't even call them and be like "hey, can you send my check back?" they'll just say we sent you a rejection because we looked at your application..it's a great money making tool for school these days and there isn't much we can do about it.

What sucks the most is if one has to do it all over again the next cycle...:scared:

who wants to live in ohio anyways?

jb!

i'd like to amend that to say: who wants to live in Cleveland?

Ohio is rather nice... but why would you want to live in the poorest city in USA?

i'd like to amend that to say: who wants to live in Cleveland?

Ohio is rather nice... but why would you want to live in the poorest city in USA?

okay, obviously you don't like cleveland, i can't blame you there, but do you like case western?? are you happy with your decision thusfar?

lidocaine cries himself to sleep every night, this is a fact.

as for case school, this place is great. compare to what other dental students are going through in other dental schools, we're all having a blast here. i personally love the pace of the curriculum. i'm getting through the didactic portion of dental school with as little stress as possible! and honestly, i'm learning a lot more and retaining information a lot more when im reading and studying for the sake of knowing, not just for taking an exam the next day.

as for case school, this place is great. compare to what other dental students are going through in other dental schools, we're all having a blast here. i personally love the pace of the curriculum. i'm getting through the didactic portion of dental school with as little stress as possible! and honestly, i'm learning a lot more and retaining information a lot more when im reading and studying for the sake of knowing, not just for taking an exam the next day.

i agree with what the asian sensation said. ...especially the crying part.:p

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks that makes me feel better :) my interview is coming up at case in the next couple of weeks!!

Oh man I feel really guilty now because I am much below you in every section of the DAT and I got interviews to both case and Indy. I am so sorry but tell you what: based on ur stats if I were on the board of admissions of Harvard or UCLA I would take you in a heart beat. The thing with "lower" tiered univesities is that they cannot afford to give acceptance to people like you because you are not gonna go since you will be accepted into better places and they want those seats reserved for people like me whose DAT scores are about 20

i am interviewing at case soon and i was wondering if you get to talk to any students one on one

The only time where you would be able to talk to a Case student is during the tour after your interviews. Unless you will be staying at the Delt house where we have 10 dental students who are happy to give you their opinions.

i am interviewing at case soon and i was wondering if you get to talk to any students one on one

The only time where you would be able to talk to a Case student is during the tour after your interviews. Unless you will be staying at the Delt house where we have 10 dental students who are happy to give you their opinions.

or hang out in the clinic or student lounge after lunch. :D :D

okay, obviously you don't like cleveland, i can't blame you there, but do you like case western?? are you happy with your decision thusfar?

It's not that bad here in Cleveland. Low cost of living and tons of other fun activities around town if you have car. Cleveland has 3 major sport venues. Whatta shame ! LA has no football team :) :)

Here is a sneak preview about Cleveland and Case Western:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5082525381886987553

Although private, does case tend to favor students living in Cleveland and who want to practice in Cleveland? (I live 30 min. away from Case)

anybody else receieve anything from case?

did anybody with a low RC score get an interview at Case?

My Rc is 16!!! :oops: But I got an interview from case.
BTW my Apps were mailed out Aug. 1st.:)

wow that is exciting. Congratulations. My RC is 1 pt lower and I don't have any post bacc. experience and Your GPA is much stronger than mine...When did you take your DAT? My app was mailed out aug 31st and took the DAT on sept 16th. I was told by Case that I would hear something back by the end of this month. But I was also told (informally) that most likely they would ask me to take the DAT again.

Congrats. I just got a interview invite from case for the alternate list position. i called the school and they said they've issued all primary interviews for this cycle. im not sure if i wanna fly to ohio for an alternate spot, but for now, im scheduling an appointment.

Congrats. I just got a interview invite from case for the alternate list position. i called the school and they said they've issued all primary interviews for this cycle. im not sure if i wanna fly to ohio for an alternate spot, but for now, im scheduling an appointment.

Congrats. That sucks they have already invited enough people for primary interviews. When is your interview for the alternate position? What does that mean anyways? Like if you did everything perfect at the alternate interview, what are your chances of getting in?

Congrats. That sucks they have already invited enough people for primary interviews. When is your interview for the alternate position? What does that mean anyways? Like if you did everything perfect at the alternate interview, what are your chances of getting in?

It means they don't have space for me...but they havent completely ruled me out. the woman told me they only issue out about 300 interview invites (including alternate list invites), a relatively small number of invites compared to the number of applicants. she told me i was competitive, i was just to slow :D. If i ace the interview, i guess i would take priority in the wait list, but i still wouldnt have a shot unless someone from the primary list gave up their seat.