CASE rejection letter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejected today and i'm sad. not that i care about case, but bc i went through all of this last year...no interviews/acceptances. i don't want the same fate.
this is honestly really hard to go through again.

btw, my stats:

22/24/21
cgpa-3.27 sgpa-3.08
tons of dental volunteering work
resident of maine

Members don't see this ad.

rejected today and i'm sad. not that i care about case, but bc i went through all of this last year...no interviews/acceptances. i don't want the same fate.
this is honestly really hard to go through again.

btw, my stats:

22/24/21
cgpa-3.27 sgpa-3.08
tons of dental volunteering work
resident of maine

oh my god, you have exceptional dat scores that definitely overshadow your gpa which is just slightly below their avg.

If you don't mind me asking how were your DAT scores last yr?

Case really makes me sad. They rejected me without receiving my DAT scores and one of my letters of rec. Plus, I received my rejection letter 2 days after they cashed in my check. :(

What are your stats like?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh my god, you have exceptional dat scores that definitely overshadow your gpa which is just slightly below their avg.

If you don't mind me asking how were your DAT scores last yr?

last year i had: 19/19/18.

wow, that is pretty shocking, esp. since i read somewhere on here that case was increasing the # of interviewees per day to interview more applicants.

you didn't get any interviews last year??!!

i am really sorry, that sucks :(

Well this sux balls, you can now add me to this list of Case rejections. =( Just got the letter today from case. Did things really get that much harder this year? My friends with lower stats than me got interviews last year. I sent in my app in late June and took my DATs Aug. Can Case be really considered a backup anymore? This cycle is becoming really stresful

Here are my stats:
UC Berkeley GPA is 3.3, sGPA: 3.19
DATs 20/21/23
100s of hrs of dental office volunteering/shadowing

Sent them my check a few days ago. If I had known I would have saved the money.

Hello people, I received a letter from Case today saying that I have been rejected. Did anyone else receive the same thing?

I am from California, I went to University of California, San Diego, and have average GPA and decent DAT score.

Here are my stats:

major: neuroscience/animal physiology
cum GPA: 3.33
Sci GPA: 3.38

DAT score 22/23/18
here is the breakdown for my scores:
PAT:18
QR:18
RC:17
G CHEM: 20
BIO: 25
O CHEM:29
TS:23
AA:22

So far I have been rejected by Indiana University and Case, I know Indiana is selective and do not really select students from faraway states, what about CASE? But I thought Case is more generous but I got rejected this early. Any ideas? What r my chances at other schools? I have applied to:

USC
UCSF
UCLA
UoP
Arizona
Temple
UPenn
Columbia
Harvard
Boston U
NYU
Nova (interview Nov/14)
Indiana (rejected w/out sending my DAT score)
Case (rejected today via letter)

Any feedbacks would be appreciated, also if you have any questions about DAT sciences I will be happy to help you since I did pretty well on BIO and Ochem, btw I took my DAT on August 11 2006.

I've also got rejected from Case & Indiana (and Loma Linda as well).

I've also got rejected from Case & Indiana (and Loma Linda as well). My stats are:

PAT: 18
QR: 18
RC: 16
BIO: 22
GC: 18
OC: 20
TS: 20
AC: 19

GPA: 3.26
Science GPA: 3.14

With these stats and rejection letters, I'm really beginning to doubt that I can even get any interviews at all.

your dat is slightly above average. Your grades are below average. what do some people expect? You know its bad when "just in Case Western" decides to give you the screw.:scared:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sorry I don't mean to laugh but....:laugh: :laugh: you don't have a chance

You have no class. Why would you even say that to somebody?
I totally agree with you! I dare this guy/girl to even say half these things in an interview... as he/she seems to think pretty highly of him/herself:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i also got rejected today from Case Western.... My stats:

GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.35

DAT:
AA-20
TS- 22
PAT-18

But the good thing is that out of all the schools I applied to (9), this is the one I LEAST cared about. Shouldn't have wasted the money.

think about what you guys are saying...

I got rejected with a 21/23/20 from case with a 3.5.

THERE HAS TO BE A FLAW!

break it down...ohhh you got a 12 in ochem and a 26 in bio. Maybe thats why!?

I don't know.

Another reason is that some people just don't get chosen.
ADCOMS has 3000 files. They come across two identical 22's, 3.5 GPa's and 200 shadow hours. They pick a number, throw a dart, find out who is ugly, whatever...and one of those apps goes in the garbage. it is simple. Let the dice fall where they may.

This is just my opinion...I'm just answering their question. and my answer is good luck next year

As I have said all along on this forum, If you don't apply early, you get screwed!

I have nine interviews now, with average stats. It is all due to submitting aadsas the first day on May 15th!!

You guys that are late, that is the only reason. You are late.

With Case, I was invited in july, went in august, and will be accepted on Dec 1. That all happened because I was punctual with aadsas.

People tell me to be honest, or ask for an opinion...I just give it. sorry if it offends.

It is not your fault...
hmmm... becuz of rolling admission system...

What DSMACK says is partially right...
Applying early is important than good stats...
as stated by DMACK that his average score got him interview?....
not even a 23....wow...lol

How many Credit hours have you taken?

There are several guide lines... e.g. # of credit hours in college, min of DAT (or a part), GPA, and so on.
Ya, it depends on individual school..

After reading all the posts on here about holds and rejections at Case, it seems to me that they have so many applicants with great DATs and GPAs, that they can afford to be really selective this year. I've been looking at the posts and it seems that majority of those with interviews have at least a 20 on the DAT and a 3.5+ GPA (science and cumulative). My application was placed on hold for a retake on the DAT. I don't really think I am going to do that because I already have 4 other interviews. It's a shame to see people who have 22s on the DAT and get rejected. I wish I knew why because test scores like that put you in the 90+ percentile. I guess they figure it's easier to bring up a test score or certain sections of the DAT than it is to bring up a GPA. My feeling is, don't worry about it. Wherever you get interviews and wherever you get in, you will be happy, even if it's not your dream school. No matter where you go, you will still get to be a dentist (DMD or DDS).

This is just my opinion...I'm just answering their question. and my answer is good luck next year

there is a BIG difference in giving your opinion and being a total AS$! my opinion... learn the difference ;)

laf. that dood had it coming. he wasn't trying to be helpful at all, just a jerk.

i got my rejection letter to day

Last edited:
numro ono-> if you look at the average dat and pat for case they are 18 and 17, for you guys with 20+ stat they know you wont go to their school, so they reject you before "you" reject them! :D something like "oh yeah we rejected you first!":laugh:
numro dos-> I think cali schools are doing the right thing, take ucla and ucsf, they havent even look at the applications yet, when they do, they have alot of applicants with good stats and dont have to peak those with below average stats.
or.......... the admission office at those schools who call you for interview in july (!), dont have anything better to do, like some of us who check aadsas 100000 times a day, these people check their schools applicant status 100000 a day starting june 1 to see if any one has applied!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

i was rejected by case, but have interviews from other schools which i would much rather attend! So, in general take it with a grain of salt because they have an odd selection process.

I am a second year at CASE. Consider yourself lucky to not be coming here. It is overpriced and underqualified as a dental school. The curriculum has changed from typical lectures from non-English speaking teachers, to no teachers at all with PBL. Everyone hates it, and those same people will be failing boards because fellow students do not, surprisingly, have Ph.D's and cannot teach what needs to be taught. And all this, for 45K a year. P.S. there is lots more shady stuff. And that doesn't even include East Cleveland.

Why does skibum's profile state that he is pre-dental?? :confused: :confused:

I recieved a letter today from case asking for my DAT scores .

for those who submitted the application before taking the DATs, did you get that letter too?

Last edited:
allegedly it says i am pre-dental b/c i only found out about this site yesterday from a girl in my class and i don't know/care enough about it to change whatever says that. yes, believe me, i am a second year - i just about failed a path test yesterday and may fail a micro tomorrow to prove it.

is this b/c you had to teach yourself the material?

btw, i thought case was more of a hybrid PBL program so some of your courses were lecture. :confused:

Last edited:
no, this was due to teachers who can't speak english and/or tell you to study on thing but test on another. as far as hybrid PBL, they aren't lectures, they are student presentations with a "facilitator". Ask any first year, its awful. I'd be mad too if I paid 45K a year to learn from a DVD.

id like to get a tuition break since we are teaching ourselves. but for the most part i like the hybrid PBL. The hybrid part refers to the fact that we still get some regular lectures. today i had biochem, and right now im sitting in an Oral Exam lecture. one thing i don't like is we had like two histology lectures and then nothing more. im wondering what happened to this class? lol i'll ask tmw.

so is asking in the interview if they think that the new curr. prepares students well for dental boards a bad idea?

id like to get a tuition break since we are teaching ourselves. but for the most part i like the hybrid PBL. The hybrid part refers to the fact that we still get some regular lectures. today i had biochem, and right now im sitting in an Oral Exam lecture. one thing i don't like is we had like two histology lectures and then nothing more. im wondering what happened to this class? lol i'll ask tmw.

so what is the board passage rate on parts I and II at case?

I got an informal rejection today. I called because I recieved a letter to send in my DAT scores. I told the guy my DAT scores and he said we pretty will send you a letter next week to retake them to be considered for this cycle or reapply next year if you can't take them soon.:( :mad:

my dat scores:
AA 20
bio 23
gc 21
oc 25
TS 23
QR 18
PA 18
RC 15

This is the first year for this. we haven't taken the boards yet.

busdent- i think that is ridiculous, your DAT scores are awesome.

They don't know... The test results are forwarded directly to the students so the school does not have a record of who passed or who failed. But Case prepares the students pretty well for the boards as tuition covers the Kaplan NBDE courses.

Because of your RC... it may be.

They may have a min score for each part of DAT (e.g. 16).
If so, your RC is pretty low.

However, you still have good score!!
You may get in other schools.

I got an informal rejection today. I called because I recieved a letter to send in my DAT scores. I told the guy my DAT scores and he said we pretty will send you a letter next week to retake them to be considered for this cycle or reapply next year if you can't take them soon.:( :mad:

my dat scores:
AA 20
bio 23
gc 21
oc 25
TS 23
QR 18
PA 18
RC 15

Calm down....as second year you still have the hybrid program. I know that at least General Path is identicial in format as when I had it last year. No one said 2nd year will be easy, and you will need to fight through it.

Yes, there maybe some courses that needs to be modified (even Dr. Weinberg mentioned it to me today), but all schools have this problem. I know you are just frustrated now, but let me tell you, 3rd year will be a lot better.

no, this was due to teachers who can't speak english and/or tell you to study on thing but test on another. as far as hybrid PBL, they aren't lectures, they are student presentations with a "facilitator". Ask any first year, its awful. I'd be mad too if I paid 45K a year to learn from a DVD.

Histology (general or dental) is not an important aspect for a dentist to know very well...unless you are a researcher. The only time you will need it is for Part I.

Because of your RC... it may be.

They may have a min score for each part of DAT (e.g. 16).
If so, your RC is pretty low.

However, you still have good score!!
You may get in other schools.

Yea, the guy said they want to see 18's all across and since I don't have that in RC, it will cost me the interview.

To the OP,
How many hours of shadowing/dental experience do you have? Many people forget that this is a major selection factor for many schools!

Don't even sweat it! I assume you applied to many other schools, and with your scores & GPA, you're bound to get in somewhere!!
Don't worry, be happy!!! :)