Case reports for Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJM46030

Reaction score
I am preparing a case report for submission. Its a peds icu+peds surgery managed patient. Do any of you have recommendations regarding which journals actually accept case reports now, and free of submission charges of course (trainees have no money!)??

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the case. And even if no submission fees there will presumably be a publication fee.

Do you not have a faculty senior author mentor who can help advise you on target journals? Faculty also often have a fund of discretionary money for things like publication fees

No unfortunately since its a case report, no one wants to fund me on this. I found a few online like Annals of pediatric surgery , but its not indexed on pubmed. And I really do not care if it is open access. I find that most traditional subscription based journals(which are generally free) stopped taking case reports.
I have only read about article processing fees or submission fees. I am just learning now that there might be another publication fee.
I was hoping someone would know more options...

Case reports aren't really worth paying for publication--they're not terribly novel especially if they're not for a super rare process. You could submit to a conference--the AAP NCE takes case reports from trainees each year, and most specialty societies also take at least some for poster presentations. But then you run into issues with funding to attend the conference itself.

Peds in Review can do some case reports through their index of suspicion column, but they have *very* strict requirements and really want cases that aren't that weird that teach something related to general pediatrics. All the other journals I know of require a fee for publication.

Annals of Pediatric Surgery actually says they aren't accepting further submissions as of October 2023.

If there isn't a faculty member who thinks that this case is reportable, then it likely is not worth your time. I do agree that submitting to a conference is more likely to be successful, and your school may have some funding to send you if you're presenting. Even if they don't have money to send you, the cost of flying in and out just for the poster session could be cheaper than some journals' publication fees and it definitely requires a lot less work.