Case specific anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayssy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year student at the beginning of my first ENT away. Is there any consensus on where to review case-specific anatomy? I have been going over netters, and reading a little on iowa protocols (thanks to a very helpful chief) but wondering if there's a somewhat comprehensive resource out there because currently I'm wasting a lot of precious time finding where the information is, which could be better spent reading and memorizing before the case.

Recently, an attending recommended cummings or one of the other big texts, and said it would also cover relevant anatomy. But, for example, tomorrow there's a facial dermabrasion and lesion excision case and (maybe because I'm new to this still) I could not find a relevant section on this in cummings.

If there's already a thread on this, please link me, I just couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a fourth year student at the beginning of my first ENT away. Is there any consensus on where to review case-specific anatomy? I have been going over netters, and reading a little on iowa protocols (thanks to a very helpful chief) but wondering if there's a somewhat comprehensive resource out there because currently I'm wasting a lot of precious time finding where the information is, which could be better spent reading and memorizing before the case.

Recently, an attending recommended cummings or one of the other big texts, and said it would also cover relevant anatomy. But, for example, tomorrow there's a facial dermabrasion and lesion excision case and (maybe because I'm new to this still) I could not find a relevant section on this in cummings.

If there's already a thread on this, please link me, I just couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance.

Cummings or an operative atlas like Myers, recent Cohen H&N atlas, Lore & Medina if you can find a copy.

Dermabrasion/skin lesion excision is more about skin anatomy. I'm sure Cummings has a good chapter. If it's a local flap, Shan Baker's text is awesome.

You won't be expected to know the step-by-step of cases. Having a good idea of the general anatomy is great. Your reading should focus on stuff like ENT Secrets. Know the pathophys, indications, complications of procedures. Anatomy should focus on stuff like "how are the levels of a neck defined" and "what structures are at risk in a neck dissection" rather than "how do you do a modified radical neck dissection" (you should know what a MRND is, though).

Reactions: 1 user
E-medicine is excellent to make sure you don't miss the forest in the trees. They have sections on almost all our procedures, and there's always a short and helpful "relevant anatomy" and "procedure details" section that will give you all the highlights. Here's an example for a radial forearm free flap: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/880531-overview#a11

From there, expand your reading as time allows. Iowa or Meyers operative are probably going to be a lot more helpful for you than Cummings unless you have tons of free time the day before the case.

Reactions: 1 user