ENT Program-specific information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmkk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a current ENT applicant that has been fortunate enough to receive a number of interviews from what I believe are great programs. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to rotate and/or will not have the time to attend the social events to get to learn more about these programs and get a feel of whether I would be a good fit.

Some particular program-specific information I am interested in are:

1. Time split between clinic vs. OR vs. research; relative amount of time available outside of clinical obligations

2. Culture - resident to resident; resident to faculty; ENT residents to rest of hospital services (e.g. neurosurgery, plastics, etc.); happiness of residents (overall, and if there are some unsatisfactions, what and why?)

3. Financial reality - when speaking to residents about their salaries, the automated response always seems to be "yes, it is enough to make it through". Since many of the posts in the past regarding this seem to be fairly outdated, I thought this would be interesting to discuss. I can imagine it isn't uncommon to residents to be scraping by, paycheck to paycheck, especially in cities like NYC or LA on top of accumulating student loans.

4. Commuting - What is the most common mode? How long is the typical commute? Is a car needed?

Programs I'm personally interested in hearing about are:
Jefferson
NYP
NEEI, Mt. Sinai
Ohio
Cleveland Clinic
Mass Eye and Ear
Cincinnati
UTSW
Baylor
UC-Davis

While it would be nice to hear from current residents or attendings, it would also be interesting to hear from home students/away students that have gotten a good feel for what these programs have to offer. Otomatch seems to have started this type of sheet, however, most of the information comes anonymous and it is not clear whether the information is accurate/credible.

Thanks for reading this long post!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to interview at these programs, just ask the residents and faculty in person!

You should also make every possible effort to attend the social events- you know when they are, so plan your travel logistics around them.