Case specific: planning to be successful non-traditional candidate. Advices needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sounds like a plan!
I know I want to be a physician, and am working toward that goal. I plan to resign from my position by this summer (2015) to re-take prerequisite courses (DIY) at the local state school, to do volunteer work, to shadow physicians from as many field as possible, and to prepare for the MCAT. I plan to re-take all science prerequisite courses since most of my undergraduate classwork are 10 year-old, and some grades are not high either.

I think a two year time-line is more realistic.
This process should take 1.5 year, and should aid in my preparation for the MCAT. If I don’t get into medical schools in my first round, I will then attend a SMP, and keep re-applying.

If you excel in your post-bac studies, then the failing out of grad school won't be an issue. Expect to be asked why you simply didn't withdraw or take a leave of absence.
I wish to have a better understanding of how receptive medical schools (both MD and DO) are toward an applicant like me who had a failure semester in the past.

That's about it. You'll find that these forums are a good resource for info, and there are many helpful people here.
Aside from trying my best for post-bac and MCAT and extracurricular activities, is there anything else I could do to strengthen my profile further?