Case vs Colorado vs Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Help me decide

• Case Western Reserve University

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • University of Colorado

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • University of Iowa Carver College

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters

cutejeans

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’d like to get some advice since I am PTE at Case Western and high-priority waitlist at Colorado and Iowa. I’m a reapplicant so I’m honestly so happy to be going to med school this year, and I’m wondering if it is worth it to wait or just commit to Case since it’s already the second week of May.

I am OOS at all 3 schools, most likely no fin aid awards, interested in doing MD/MPH dual degree & focusing on primary care/community service

Case (CWRU)
* OOS Tuition $71k/ year, COA $105K
* Ranking: #71 in Primary Care, #24 in Research

* Grading: Pass/Fail
* MD/MPH program is 5 years (MPH gap year between M2 and M3)
* Strong research focus, required MD thesis during summer semester; new building, everything seems high-tech and fancy
* Assessment weeks at end of each block (2-3 months), essay-based
* Student life: Inquiry (IQ) groups
* Clinicals: M3-M4, choice of 3 tracks (longitudinal or block; choice of hospitals)
* Cleveland’s COL is affordable, but car is required

Colorado
* OOS Tuition $69k/year, COA $107k
* Ranking: #8 in Primary Care, #26 in Research

* Grading: Pass/Fail
* MD/MPH program - apply in M3; alternatively there's a Global Health Track
* Required Mentored Scholarly Activity
* Student life: Lots of mentorship (COMPASS faculty guides, research mentor, student mentor)
* Clinicals: early core clerkships (longitudinal) in M2, return to didactics in M3
* Aurora is closest to home (California), but COL is reportedly pretty high

Iowa (Carver)
* OOS Tuition $58k/year, COA $85k
* Ranking: #19 in Primary Care, #44 in Research

* Grading: Honors/Near Honors/Pass/Fail
* MD/MPH program is 5 years (MPH gap year between M3 and M4); alternatively: Distinction Track in Healthcare Delivery Science, Management and Policy
* Student life: Learning communities
* Clinicals: early core clerkships start middle of M2 - M4
* Iowa City is largely a college town, but COL is affordable I think

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa gives you your exact slot on the WL I believe. Does it seem feasible that you will come off soon?

I would try to save the money and go there, especially since you are interested in primary care.

@chilly_md I am currently <10 on Iowa's waitlist, so it's feasible! I just feel a sense of urgency since Case orientation starts July 7 and a lot of students are already looking for housing, so I don't want to wait too long but I also don't want to sign a lease until I'm 100% committed :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
@chilly_md I am currently <10 on Iowa's waitlist, so it's feasible! I just feel a sense of urgency since Case orientation starts July 7 and a lot of students are already looking for housing, so I don't want to wait too long but I also don't want to sign a lease until I'm 100% committed :unsure:
I don’t know how the housing market is in Cleveland, but you can probably wait a few more weeks since you likely don’t want to be paying rent too far in advance if you can help it. They usually want you to start the lease very soon and don’t like to hold the unit.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I got into Iowa!! + a scholarship that makes Iowa around $100-150k cheaper than Case

Most people are telling me that Case is the better school because of its affiliation to Cleveland Clinic and I'd have more options available if I decide to choose a different specialty. In my mind these two schools are about on-par with each other, maybe Iowa is just lesser known - is this accurate? Would the opportunity to do rotations in Cleveland Clinic be worth the price tag?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Update: I got into Iowa!! + a scholarship that makes Iowa around $100-150k cheaper than Case

Most people are telling me that Case is the better school because of its affiliation to Cleveland Clinic and I'd have more options available if I decide to choose a different specialty. In my mind these two schools are about on-par with each other, maybe Iowa is just lesser known - is this accurate? Would the opportunity to do rotations in Cleveland Clinic be worth the price tag?
Yes, your view of the schools is pretty accurate. Iowa will not close any doors. Better to save the money.

Reactions: 1 users
Iowa is lesser known among lay persons because it is 70 percent instate students. But very high ranking in primary care, central referral place for the whole state and beyond, and very cheap COL. congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Reportedly admin is very supportive and students are happy in spite of it. It’s what I experienced at Pitt and I can’t say it bothered me at all but at the time it was just standard.