Case vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobLoblawDDS

Lost and confused
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked up some past threads on this and am really at a loss as to where I should attend. I know both have great clinical programs (maybe NYU has a slight edge just because it's NYC), and both are good schools. I don't want to say anything else as I don't want to colour anyone's answer toward me.

I literally want this to be just a free-for-all say-whatever-you-want-and-think sort of thing, and want to garner everyone's honest and open opinions, particularly those who interviewed at or are attending one of the two schools.

I only ask that people give their opinions on EVERYTHING (ie. I hope this doesn't degenerate into an argument over one particular aspect of attending like curriculum, location, cost, chance of specialization, etc... I want to hear about anything and everything people could possibly say).

So please, tell me what you think!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've looked up some past threads on this and am really at a loss as to where I should attend. I know both have great clinical programs (maybe NYU has a slight edge just because it's NYC), and both are good schools. I don't want to say anything else as I don't want to colour anyone's answer toward me.

I literally want this to be just a free-for-all say-whatever-you-want-and-think sort of thing, and want to garner everyone's honest and open opinions, particularly those who interviewed at or are attending one of the two schools.

I only ask that people give their opinions on EVERYTHING (ie. I hope this doesn't degenerate into an argument over one particular aspect of attending like curriculum, location, cost, chance of specialization, etc... I want to hear about anything and everything people could possibly say).

Thanks!

Both schools are good. But I think NYU is better for many reasons:

1. Biggest clinic out there with the most amount of patients
2. School is located in a much nicer area
3. Experience living in NYC is a lot more fun than Cleveland (even if you dont intend on going out much.)
4. Identical cost but better overall experience.
5. NYU has lectures on Itunes which makes it easy to skip some sections that aren't as useful and being able to stream them later (my friends did this in med school and it worked out well when you're low on time you'll have to prioritize)

I cant comment on specializing because I know nothing about that (esp since I dont want to specialize) but overall I think NYU is going to be a better experience. Case is an amazing school for sure, but its location, city, and weather make it a less interesting place to spend 4 years. Esp since the cost is the same, I dont see how Case would be a better choice over NYU.

Either way you're going to go to an awesome school. Both Case and NYU are much better schools than of U of Minn.

I interviewed at both. Case and NYU are both fantastic schools but I would choose Case for 2 main reasons:

1. Case is (slightly) cheaper
2. Case has a much smaller class size

NYC >>>>> Cleveland but both schools had some pretty happy students (albiet I only met 2 students at my case interview :rolleyes:)

Edit: A couple other things..

-Case seemed to have their act more together as far as the clinic went (they had someone schedule it for you, you had your own space, etc, etc)
-It all comes down to where you will be happiest. All these small things that other people tell you won't be too meaningful if you're unhappy during your dental school experience.

GL in your decision and congrats!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Both schools are good. But I think NYU is better for many reasons:

1. Biggest clinic out there with the most amount of patients
2. School is located in a much nicer area
3. Experience living in NYC is a lot more fun than Cleveland (even if you dont intend on going out much.)
4. Identical cost but better overall experience.
5. NYU has lectures on Itunes which makes it easy to skip some sections that aren't as useful and being able to stream them later (my friends did this in med school and it worked out well when you're low on time you'll have to prioritize)

I cant comment on specializing because I know nothing about that (esp since I dont want to specialize) but overall I think NYU is going to be a better experience. Case is an amazing school for sure, but its location, city, and weather make it a less interesting place to spend 4 years. Esp since the cost is the same, I dont see how Case would be a better choice over NYU.

Either way you're going to go to an awesome school. Both Case and NYU are much better schools than of U of Minn.

I agree with wired's overall response. NYU > Case, in my opinion.

Wired, I realize Minnesota is the other place he was looking, but as it was not mentioned here I'm not sure the shot at Minnesota is really necessary.

Wired, I realize Minnesota is the other place he was looking, but as it was not mentioned here I'm not sure the shot at Minnesota is really necessary.
Just like omnipoDent said, NYU >>>>>>> Case.

Cost aside, being from a big busy city like toronto, I think you would really enjoy NYU atmosphere!

Not a shot, just being honest. I think U of Minn is on the lower end of the quality scale. My friend owns a business in St. Paul so I traveled there and took a tour of the school. I think it's a good school, but not a great one. The amount you spend is a tad high for such a low patient turn-out. I think the clinic is superior at places like Case and NYU. That's all.

But I dont want change the subject of the thread.

Not a shot, just being honest. I think U of Minn is on the lower end of the quality scale. My friend owns a business in St. Paul so I traveled there and took a tour of the school. I think it's a good school, but not a great one. The amount you spend is a tad high for such a low patient turn-out. I think the clinic is superior at places like Case and NYU. That's all.

But I dont want change the subject of the thread.

Again, as I said Minnesota wasn't mentioned and is off subject, so it seemed unnecessary.

Again, as I said Minnesota wasn't mentioned and is off subject, so it seemed unnecessary.

listen its my opinion, you dont have to comment on it if it bothers you. And now back to the point about Case Vs. NYU.

Reactions: 1 user
listen its my opinion, you dont have to comment on it if it bothers you. And now back to the point about Case Vs. NYU.

It wasn't the opinion. It was that you unnecessarily gave it. Nevermind, though.

NYU > Case.

It wasn't the opinion. It was that you unnecessarily gave it. Nevermind, though.

NYU > Case.

Ill repeat myself for the last time if you dont like it then dont comment on it. I can voice my opinion and I will. The end.

NYU > Case

because I'm also from Toronto and going to NYU :D

wired202808 = America's expert on dental schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard good things about both of their clinical programs. I think overall though that NYU will be more of a fun experience. Plus NYU has all the specialties and their Perio and Oral Surgery floors are really nice (though I've heard their OS program has some inbreeding going on...)

I was always thinking of how to specialize when I was going through D School, so had I been in your shoes NYU would have been the winner.

Thanks!

Just some thoughts..
-How often do you plan on going out and having fun? NYC is better for this than Cleveland. -Seeing as you're from a huge city, NYC will be a better environment.
-I interviewed at NYU but not Case, so I obviously can't do comparisons. I really liked NYU though. The class size is a little intimidating but it's never gotten in the way of getting patients.
-I'm a huge fan of public transportation. Not completely sure how Cleveland works with this (might need a car at Case) but NYC subways run 24/7 and it's pretty efficient.

Everything else I had was already said by some posters so I'll stop here. Good luck :)

Ill repeat myself for the last time if you dont like it then dont comment on it. I can voice my opinion and I will. The end.

Unfortunately, he can post here like any other member, it's just up to the rest of us to ignore him :shrug:

Just some thoughts..
-How often do you plan on going out and having fun? NYC is better for this than Cleveland. -Seeing as you're from a huge city, NYC will be a better environment.
-I interviewed at NYU but not Case, so I obviously can't do comparisons. I really liked NYU though. The class size is a little intimidating but it's never gotten in the way of getting patients.
-I'm a huge fan of public transportation. Not completely sure how Cleveland works with this (might need a car at Case) but NYC subways run 24/7 and it's pretty efficient.

Everything else I had was already said by some posters so I'll stop here. Good luck :)

Unfortunately, he can post here like any other member, it's just up to the rest of us to ignore him :shrug:

Yup! Just like I ignore you.

Yep, totally :rolleyes:

lol.

Also, +1 to the person who said Wired is America's expert on dental schools :)

To Omnipotent - I'm not sure if you've worked at all after school, but having worked for years in a corporate environment after graduating undergrad, all I can say is: the world is full of different people. You can't let people like Wired get you down. Like other people have already said, just ignore him :laugh: Probably the most important life skill I've picked up since working is to say "Ok ok ok. You're right you're right you're right" to people like wired lol

Finally, to respond to people who are saying NYU is similar in price to Case.... Is this true? I thought Case was cheaper. Like 60~70K after four years? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I have friends at boths schools, neither were too ecstatic to tell me about how their school is good at this or that. NY city can be explored in like three good days so I wouldnt really look at that as an advantage. I personally dont like PBL style of learning even if it is only first year, nor do I think it is an effective strategy for teaching, but with a difference of $75K I would take Case. I dont see why anyone would take a $75K gamble, that kind of money can buy you a lot of happiness.

Plus when your spending all your free time studying, would you want to study in a closet that is has a rent of $1200 in NY or in a decent placein Cleveland. The dollar goes a long way in ohio, I cant say the same about NY.

I have friends at boths schools, neither were too ecstatic to tell me about how their school is good at this or that. NY city can be explored in like three good days so I wouldnt really look at that as an advantage. I personally dont like PBL style of learning even if it is only first year, nor do I think it is an effective strategy for teaching, but with a difference of $75K I would take Case. I dont see why anyone would take a $75K gamble, that kind of money can buy you a lot of happiness.

Plus when your spending all your free time studying, would you want to study in a closet that is has a rent of $1200 in NY or in a decent placein Cleveland. The dollar goes a long way in ohio, I cant say the same about NY.

Hopefully you're not spending ALL of your free time studying, yikes.

If you want to live in Manhattan, then most likely you'll have to spend a ton of money. However, cheaper options are available outside of Manhattan if that's a concern. Since the OP is from Toronto, paying a lot of money for a nice place in the city may not be something new for him.

As someone who used to live in Ohio, I hate it. Cleveland itself is not a decent city. It's cheaper and may give you more opportunities to study since there is little to do but "being happy in Cleveland," esp when you're from Toronto? Hmmm... That's a decision for the OP to make obviously but just pointing it out.

Hopefully you're not spending ALL of your free time studying, yikes.

If you want to live in Manhattan, then most likely you'll have to spend a ton of money. However, cheaper options are available outside of Manhattan if that's a concern. Since the OP is from Toronto, paying a lot of money for a nice place in the city may not be something new for him.

As someone who used to live in Ohio, I hate it. Cleveland itself is not a decent city. It's cheaper and may give you more opportunities to study since there is little to do but "being happy in Cleveland," esp when you're from Toronto? Hmmm... That's a decision for the OP to make obviously but just pointing it out.

I can say there will be at least one year (1st or 2nd depending on your school) where you will lol, and it is that year wr you will question yourself: what the f did I get myself into. I can pretty much guarantee every d-students has asked themselves that many times.

I can say there will be at least one year (1st or 2nd depending on your school) where you will lol, and it is that year wr you will question yourself: what the f did I get myself into. I can pretty much guarantee every d-students has asked themselves that many times.

Haha, I'm sure. I'm dreading the likelihood already. I know there are going to be plenty of tough periods. But to go into dental school with the expectation that you will be breathing and living dental school 24/7 for four years doesn't seem right. Everyone needs down time. NYC seems like a better city for downtime (even if you're a night owl).

To be honest, after reading everything, I'm still sort of split between the two.

Can anyone comment on what a previous poster mentioned about Case's clinic being more "put together"? I admit to not being the first person to ask about dental curriculum or education; I am woefully unprepared to pass any judgement on which curriculum is "better."

And I don't want to see people taking stabs at each other. Wired, I think we can all have our opinions, and I turned down Minnesota because it was even more expensive than NYU (tuition-wise) and I was not that impressed with the school overall, though I like Minneapolis. Afterward I had some regret over turning it down. So take that for what it's worth.

I'm still welcoming some more opinions and I am hesitant to reveal my own thoughts at the moment because once again, I don't want to colour people's responses. I have some friends studying at Case right now so I'm going to be asking them soon. I don't know anyone at NYU unfortunately.

Thanks everyone. It's been super helpful so far. :) Any other takers?

To be honest, after reading everything, I'm still sort of split between the two.

Can anyone comment on what a previous poster mentioned about Case's clinic being more "put together"? I admit to not being the first person to ask about dental curriculum or education; I am woefully unprepared to pass any judgement on which curriculum is "better."

And I don't want to see people taking stabs at each other. Wired, I think we can all have our opinions, and I turned down Minnesota because it was even more expensive than NYU (tuition-wise) and I was not that impressed with the school overall, though I like Minneapolis. Afterward I had some regret over turning it down. So take that for what it's worth.

I'm still welcoming some more opinions and I am hesitant to reveal my own thoughts at the moment because once again, I don't want to colour people's responses. I have some friends studying at Case right now so I'm going to be asking them soon. I don't know anyone at NYU unfortunately.

I think you need to find some D3s and D4s from Case and NYU and speak with them (at worse find some D1s.) Even if its via SDN. It would make sense to ind out what they think of their respective schools and programs. That might give you a bit more clarity.

I had questions regarding NYU as well. I pm'ed a D1 on SDN and she gave some helpful comments. She seemed open to answering questions and talking about her experiences. If you want, I can give you her username, just PM me.

I had questions regarding NYU as well. I pm'ed a D1 on SDN and she gave some helpful comments. She seemed open to answering questions and talking about her experiences. If you want, I can give you her username, just PM me.

seriously you're like an echo.... but thanks for using my idea :)

seriously you're like an echo.... but thanks for using my idea :)

Way to go off topic..... :slap:

I was talking about my personal experience and was offering advice that could potentially help the OP. Go take a look at your "no thread hijacking" or "let's get back to the point" posts on this thread before changing the topic, ok? :)

I interviewed at both NYU and Case and I can say that I was thoroughly impressed with both schools, although I was slightly overwhelmed initially by the vast size of NYU's clinics during the student-led tours. I think the major selling point for me was the fact that Case seemed to place more emphasis on being more tech-savvy; I haven't seen a DentSim lab like that at Case with any other school I visited (I don't remember if NYU had one, so please correct me if I'm wrong). Additionally, the smaller class sizes are a bonus, and the clinics are akin to a mini-practice type setting, which I feel is an unique touch. I think in other areas like patient size, clinical experience, research opportunities, community outreach programs, etc, I'd rate both schools equally at two thumbs up. In my case, it just boiled down to the nitty-gritty but it was a close call between these two titans.

I interviewed at both NYU and Case and I can say that I was thoroughly impressed with both schools, although I was slightly overwhelmed initially by the vast size of NYU's clinics during the student-led tours. I think the major selling point for me was the fact that Case seemed to place more emphasis on being more tech-savvy; I haven't seen a DentSim lab like that at Case with any other school I visited (I don't remember if NYU had one, so please correct me if I'm wrong). Additionally, the smaller class sizes are a bonus, and the clinics are akin to a mini-practice type setting, which I feel is an unique touch. I think in other areas like patient size, clinical experience, research opportunities, community outreach programs, etc, I'd rate both schools equally at two thumbs up. In my case, it just boiled down to the nitty-gritty but it was a close call between these two titans.

NYU has a sim lab as well.

Good info :thumbup:

If you are younger, single, looking for adventure, and willing to spend a little bit more money on your education, I would go to NYU. Their program is really strong and NYU is the place to be. If you are a non-trad student, perhaps the glamor of the city won't matter as much.

Way to go off topic..... :slap:

I was talking about my personal experience and was offering advice that could potentially help the OP. Go take a look at your "no thread hijacking" or "let's get back to the point" posts on this thread before changing the topic, ok? :)

echooooooo....... go slap someone else and grow up.

I don't know if the difficulty of finding patients for boards is a concern for you, but definitely consider that.

echooooooo....... go slap someone else and grow up.

Didn't realize an emoticon was gong to hurt your feelings lol. Poor wired needs a waaamulance because "someone copied you". Go look at your own post #17 or be a hypocrite again :rolleyes:

Go ahead and respond to this. I know how much you crave having the last word :laugh:

Didn't realize an emoticon was gong to hurt your feelings lol. Poor wired needs a waaamulance because "someone copied you". Go look at your own post #17 or be a hypocrite again :rolleyes:

Go ahead and respond to this. I know how much you crave having the last word :laugh:

:thumbup: :laugh:

yup i want the last cookie too!!!

If you are younger, single, looking for adventure, and willing to spend a little bit more money on your education, I would go to NYU. Their program is really strong and NYU is the place to be. If you are a non-trad student, perhaps the glamor of the city won't matter as much.

That's a really interesting way of looking at it and I agree with it.

New York is a great place to be when you're young and willing to soak up the life of a fast paced city. Cleveland (and almost any city that isn't huge) is a good place if you want to be somewhere quiet and down to earth.

These are some random points btw:

Something that struck me with NYU is that they utilize Invisialign in their curriculum. It struck me because they were the only schools to mention it out of all of my interviews. They mentioned other technological stuff as well, but I can't remember them atm. They seem to be really up to date as to what new technology is coming out in the dental world.

If you're into traveling to underserved areas (in the U.S or international), NYU is HUGE about that.

That's a really interesting way of looking at it and I agree with it.

New York is a great place to be when you're young and willing to soak up the life of a fast paced city. Cleveland (and almost any city that isn't huge) is a good place if you want to be somewhere quiet and down to earth.

These are some random points btw:

Something that struck me with NYU is that they utilize Invisialign in their curriculum. It struck me because they were the only schools to mention it out of all of my interviews. They mentioned other technological stuff as well, but I can't remember them atm. They seem to be really up to date as to what new technology is coming out in the dental world.

If you're into traveling to underserved areas (in the U.S or international), NYU is HUGE about that.

Yes, NYU does offer a lot whether it be research, community outreach, etc. That is not to say Case has a bad program, I have heard it is a great dental program. I would say the biggest difference between the two schools is location and price (and a little PBL at Case).

So since I hold seats at both schools currently, I'm forced to choose come April 1st, is that right?

So since I hold seats at both schools currently, I'm forced to choose come April 1st, is that right?

Yup, otherwise they get to drop you. A month should be enough time to decide, no?

Idk about Case but NYU requires the second deposit to be postmarked by April 2nd. So if you really need that extra time, you have until the mailman comes to your place on April 2nd ;)

Hope you can make a decision soon :)

Hopefully!

I've heard from a young dentist here in Toronto (though I believe he graduated from a Canadian school) that NYU overaccepts applicants for first year matriculation, then weeds people out by flunking a lot of them in first year. If I recall correctly there were rumblings of this on the forums beforehand, and even at my NYU interview I recall someone asking about it.

Does any of this have merit, or am I being paranoid? The dental students at NYU obviously told us that only 1 or 2 people withdrew from the class, and for personal, not academic, reasons.

Hopefully!

I've heard from a young dentist here in Toronto (though I believe he graduated from a Canadian school) that NYU overaccepts applicants for first year matriculation, then weeds people out by flunking a lot of them in first year. If I recall correctly there were rumblings of this on the forums beforehand, and even at my NYU interview I recall someone asking about it.

Does any of this have merit, or am I being paranoid? The dental students at NYU obviously told us that only 1 or 2 people withdrew from the class, and for personal, not academic, reasons.

People have mentioned that a few NYU students drop out after the first year. Someone even brought it up during my interview as well. They answered saying that people left for personal reasons (like you mentioned), something like realizing dentistry wasn't for them or maybe family issues that call for them to move.

This is the first time I've heard that NYU admissions may over-admit to see who can make it. With over 200+ students, it doesn't surprise me that a few may drop out. But is their drop out rate any different from other schools based on percentages? Four or five people dropping out of NYU doesn't seem as eye brow raising as four or five people dropping out of Harvard (class of thirty something).

But if you are confident with your stats and believe you will succeed in dental school, I don't think you should be worried.

Case. NYU class size is enormous once the international students get added in

this thread needs some matriculated students' opinions

:thumbup:

OP: Maybe consider posting in the dental forum? After all, most of us here are pre dents who will have opinions on what we have heard or saw at a few interviews.