Case vs UNLV!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarnut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got another acceptance for UNLV. i was gonna go to Case until i got this thing today. god, now im all confused and back to where i started. f**k!!! i could use some feedback from ya'll for some brainstormin. thanks for help!

Case

Pros:
- Small class size...only 70 students!
- Faculty who really cares about its 70 students
- Innovative curriculum
- Strong clinical experience

Cons:
- Cleveland
- Cleveland
- Cleveland weather
- Pretty far from where i live (Los Angeles)

UNLV

Pros:
- Brand new facility
- Faculty that caters to its students, listens to student feedbacks
- Integrated curriculum
- All digital curriculum - no textbooks!
- Las Vegas

Cons
- Unproven since the school is so new
- I think they are graduating their first batch of dentists next year?

Members don't see this ad.

UNLV has more reasonable tuition and the class size is about the same as Case. I would pick UNLV.

polarnut said:
just got another acceptance for UNLV. i was gonna go to Case until i got this thing today. god, now im all confused and back to where i started. f**k!!! i could use some feedback from ya'll for some brainstormin. thanks for help!

Case

Pros:
- Innovative curriculum

Cons:
- Cleveland
- Cleveland
- Cleveland weather

UNLV

Pros:
- Brand new facility
- Integrated curriculum
- Las Vegas

Cons
looks like u listed 4 cons for Case and only 2 for UNLV...maybe u already know....?

Members don't see this ad :)
sumozmom said:
looks like u listed 4 cons for Case and only 2 for UNLV...maybe u already know....?
You also took Case off from your signature.......maybe you already know......?

not to mention UNLV is way more expensive compared to Case :eek:

polarnut said:
not to mention UNLV is way more expensive compared to Case :eek:
The tuition is probably well worth it though, considering the extraordinary and brand new facilities and lack of textbooks. Plus the faculty seems amazing and very involved and receptive. I'm dying here waiting for the next admissions committee meeting when I will be reviewed.

I am not so sure I would have put the digital textbooks in the Pros column. I have them and am not a big fan of them at all. They are insanely expansive, and reading 75 book pages on a computer screen is not fun for the eyes. us tmy 2 cents.

obviously nobody that has commented knows anything about the two schools. I too was accepted to Case and UNLV last year also.

Tuition and fees/books
Case: 40K +10K per yr for fees/books = roughly 200K ouch!!!
UNLV: 30/53K in/out state residency after 1st yr, 4th yr 20k, no other expenses besides a laptop $1600 that you keep. =110K or 133K

Case: clinic in the dungeon, set up well though. Nice preclinic area. Don't like Cleveland, nor did any other student that I spoke to whether it was a 1st or 4th. Cold and snowy at times and dreary at least it was in October when I was there.

UNLV: There is a reason why the Las Vegas area has been among the top growing cities in the country for some time. Great weather for 9 months, I don't particularly like the hot months of the summer though. We will be graduating our first class in April! Clinic is set up ideal, already had tons of clinical experiences as a first year, challenging curriculum, hopefully will pay off next year. We have some really good experienced faculty. It was a no brainer for me

And a side note, I am a computer ******, but I will never go back to lugging aroung huge textbooks and taking scratch notes, getting everything all mixed up, etc. Every ppt is online for us to review before the test, laptop curriculm is the only way to go!

polarnut said:

Case

Pros:
- Innovative curriculum

Cons:
- Cleveland
- Cleveland
- Cleveland weather

UNLV

Pros:
- Brand new facility
- Integrated curriculum
- Las Vegas

Cons

Hey polarnut, congrats on both of those schools. I'm just wondering if you could tell me how and when you received your acceptance from UNLV.

larrybirdfan said:
Hey polarnut, congrats on both of those schools. I'm just wondering if you could tell me how and when you received your acceptance from UNLV.

yesterday via mail! i have to send in the deposit by feb. 18!

polarnut said:
yesterday via mail! i have to send in the deposit by feb. 18!

Is UNLV still interviewing students? I still haven't heard from them since I sent in my secondary like 5 months ago!

DAT: 20/21/17
GPA: 3.3 Sci: 3.2

DUBS said:
Is UNLV still interviewing students? I still haven't heard from them since I sent in my secondary like 5 months ago!

DAT: 20/21/17
GPA: 3.3 Sci: 3.2
yes, they are. Until the end of March only though, they said they dont want to go past March.

JohnUNLV said:
yes, they are. Until the end of March only though, they said they dont want to go past March.

don't wanna sound like one of those "do i have a chances thread", but since you go to UNLV you know a lot about them. do u think i have a shot at getting an interview anytime soon? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnUNLV said:
The tuition is probably well worth it though, considering the extraordinary and brand new facilities and lack of textbooks. Plus the faculty seems amazing and very involved and receptive. I'm dying here waiting for the next admissions committee meeting when I will be reviewed.

I'm in the same boat with you man. I'm in at Tufts, and I'll go there unless UNLV calls. When did you interview there?

my two cents may not be worth much, but probably about as much as anybody else. my boyfriend is at case dental, and i applied this year and interviewed at both case and unlv. yeah cleveland isn't the best, but ask pretty much anybody there and its for sure not as bad as what they thought when they first got there. any of the first years will tell you they are so glad they ended up choosing case. the clinical experience is really top notch....after one semester, they are already doing sealants on patients, as well as being in the clinic and getting experience with cleanings, etc. on prophy day. students love case...i really haven't talked to one person who goes there that wishes they had chosen differently, tuition and all. however, i have met a few dental students that wish that unlv had some of their kinks worked out before they went there. anyway, that may not help, but don't let cleveland be that huge of a factor, there are really nice places outside of cleveland to live that aren't far away, and the school itself is in a really nice part. the nasty part of cleveland can be totally avoided. my two cents! good luck!

I would choose Las Vegas of course! The idea of living in Las Vegas for 4 yrs is very appealing :cool: :cool: :cool:

HuyetKiem said:
I would choose Las Vegas of course! The idea of living in Las Vegas for 4 yrs is very appealing :cool: :cool: :cool:

well it's not all glitz and glamour as you might think. better than cleveland, of course...

donkeywhisperer said:
I'm in the same boat with you man. I'm in at Tufts, and I'll go there unless UNLV calls. When did you interview there?
I interviewed on Feb 2nd. The admissions committee meets again on the 23rd, and I am so anxious that I am having trouble studying for my current classes haha. If you get the call from UNLV, you have to go, it is an amazing school. There isn't one bad thing about UNLVSDM. They used to have a bunch of kinks, but almost everything has been worked out, at least for the most part. They actually listen to student feedback though, how many other schools actually do that? Not many.

DUBS - Your DAT is really good, I'm surprised they havent called you for an interview already, but your gpa is kinda low. What was your RC? They weigh that very heavily. Also, maybe you can call the admissions office and ask them your status and if there is anything you can do to get an interview, you know, like wash cars, shine shoes hehe.

Coming from someone that was accepted to both, I would choose UNLV. Cost and living area both favor UNLV heavily. Case has a nice school and some nice facilites, but only UNLV and Arizona had the nicest (given, they are both less than 5 years old so you would expect that). The first batch of UNLV dentists graduate this year and they have been implementing a lot of student feedback and their board scores continue to rise. The last batch of scores was looking to be really really good.

My vote goes to UNLV on this one.

according to current student ive talked to, UNLV also has one of the most difficult curriculum. 4-5 students fail out after every semester.

case, on the other hand, rarely have one of its student fail out. the curriculum is more laid back.

then again, UNLV is so much closer to home...digital curriculum....then again...UNLV feels like a commuter school....everybody lives at least more than a mile away.....it's completely separated from the main university....cleveland still sucks...

damn, i cant make up my mind!

Come to Case. All cool people, no nerds allowed

I got accepted in December. So i start Aug 7th

Lidopaine82 said:
I got accepted in December. So i start Aug 7th

are you cool and suave like sean connery

You're the "Anti-mormon" one, aren't you?? I seem to remember that a while back you were complaining about Case because there were so many mormons there. Well, I can assure you that there will be just as many or more mormons at UNLV. I'm from a small school in Utah and there are at least 5 of us dead set on UNLV and there will probably be more. There will probably be a dozen or more from BYU and who knows how many from the other Universities up here. Maybe you're just meant to be at a school with a bunch of us mormons. Reguardless of where you choose to go, I am confident that you will soon realize that we are not as bad as you might think. Who knows; maybe you will even be converted??? Best of luck in your big decision! :luck:

UtahDDS said:
You're the "Anti-mormon" one, aren't you?? I seem to remember that a while back you were complaining about Case because there were so many mormons there. Well, I can assure you that there will be just as many or more mormons at UNLV. I'm from a small school in Utah and there are at least 5 of us dead set on UNLV and there will probably be more. There will probably be a dozen or more from BYU and who knows how many from the other Universities up here. Maybe you're just meant to be at a school with a bunch of us mormons. Reguardless of where you choose to go, I am confident that you will soon realize that we are not as bad as you might think. Who knows; maybe you will even be converted??? Best of luck in your big decision! :luck:

whoa there cowboy, i never said anything bad about mormons. just because i started a thread asking why there are so many mormons in dental school doesnt mean you get to slap me with hater sticker. one of my best friend is mormon (or was), so lets not jump to conclusions here.why cant you let me love you man. god!

I think it comes down to location here. If you want the nicer place to live choose UNLV but if you want the better school go to CASE. I've been to both and i found case to be one if not the best school out of many i've interviewed at, it seemed to be the most solid program with the best clinicals. Noone knows much about UNLV since it's brand new, and the students there seemed to be so stressed out compared to the other schools I went to.

UtahDDS said:

How many of your friends that are dead set on UNLV have been accepted?

so far i'm leaning 65% towards Case...........

Go Case!

I'm also from the western part of the US, and while I'd love to go to a school in CA or AZ, when it comes down to it Case is the best school for me. I spent my undergrad in the midwest, so I figure it's not that bad spending another 4 years there.

Hey, glad to see another Case student. See you in the fall!

larrybirdfan said:

3 of them. None were from BYU though.

larrybirdfan said:
I know of 5 of us being accepted from my school, 3 of us will for sure attend, and a few more are still hoping for the good news. I am sure there are more that I don't know about...

UtahDDS said:
I know of 5 of us being accepted from my school, 3 of us will for sure attend, and a few more are still hoping for the good news. I am sure there are more that I don't know about...

wow i wish i had couple friends from my school going to same dental school. that'd be so awesome!

I just found out that I was accepted to UNLV and I am super stoked. I think they have really gotten their act together in the past couple of years evidenced by the start up of their specialty programs. Fellow UNLV class of 2010 holla back!

I'm gonna have to say go to UNLV! :D Only because Case is my number 1 choice and I'm currently on hold. I need people to withdraw their offer from Case so I'll get the call up! :p

I know it must be hard for ya. Case is top notch in clinical aspects and they seem to be proactive in their didactic approach. UNLV is fairly new, which has its goods and bads. For me, it comes down to where I feel I will get the best clinical training. After all, we will be clinicians. I don't want to feel like I have to do a residency after 4 years of dental school. I don't know too much about UNLV, but Case's clincial training is top notch.

Generallee said:
I'm gonna have to say go to UNLV! :D Only because Case is my number 1 choice and I'm currently on hold. I need people to withdraw their offer from Case so I'll get the call up! :p

I know it must be hard for ya. Case is top notch in clinical aspects and they seem to be proactive in their didactic approach. UNLV is fairly new, which has its goods and bads. For me, it comes down to where I feel I will get the best clinical training. After all, we will be clinicians. I don't want to feel like I have to do a residency after 4 years of dental school. I don't know too much about UNLV, but Case's clincial training is top notch.

Every school has good clinical training as long as you put time and effort in it. Some schools like Temple and Case have exceptional reputation because they have broad patient pool.

Right now, I'm 65% going to Case because even though I hate the location, I had the best first-impression of the school and faculty when I interviewed there. Students seemed pretty happy about the school, even though they all said they cant wait to get out of Cleveland. The only thing good about Cleveland is that it has lower cost of living compared to Las Vegas.

Still, UNLV has its own merits which I cannot possibly ignore, including the fact that faculty and students are very much integrated, facility is top-notch, and well...it's closer to Los Angeles, my home.

I almost wish I got accepted to only one school so I wouldn't have a choice. I'm counting my blessings though. Not 2 months ago I was telling myself I'd go to middle of Alaskan tundra if a dental school there accepted me. :oops:

polarnut said:
Every school has good clinical training as long as you put time and effort in it. Some schools like Temple and Case have exceptional reputation because they have broad patient pool.

Right now, I'm 65% going to Case because even though I hate the location, I had the best first-impression of the school and faculty when I interviewed there. Students seemed pretty happy about the school, even though they all said they cant wait to get out of Cleveland. The only thing good about Cleveland is that it has lower cost of living compared to Las Vegas.

Still, UNLV has its own merits which I cannot possibly ignore, including the fact that faculty and students are very much integrated, facility is top-notch, and well...it's closer to Los Angeles, my home.

I almost wish I got accepted to only one school so I wouldn't have a choice. I'm counting my blessings though. Not 2 months ago I was telling myself I'd go to middle of Alaskan tundra if a dental school there accepted me. :oops:

Well, good luck to ya. If you do choose Case, hopefully I'll get the call up and be in your class... *fingers crossed*

larrybirdfan said:
where were they from?
He must be talking about UVSC because that is where he went to school.

Generallee said:
Well, good luck to ya. If you do choose Case, hopefully I'll get the call up and be in your class... *fingers crossed*

are you from midwest? you seem you're from the midwest. it'd be an easier decision for you if so.

Lidopaine82 said:
Hey, glad to see another Case student. See you in the fall!

Same here. See you in August!

polarnut said:
are you from midwest? you seem you're from the midwest. it'd be an easier decision for you if so.

Nope, I'm actually from Seattle. But, currently reside in Cleveland. My better half is going to grad school here so it would be better if we stayed in Cleveland for my 4 years of dental school. But, we definitely will be heading back West after dental school!!!

Boy, I feel for ya, this is a tough decision to make. I wish I had decisions like yours to make! :D

My dad actually lives in Henderson, NV (Suburb of LVegas) and always tells me to move out there. He loves it!

Generallee said:
Nope, I'm actually from Seattle. But, currently reside in Cleveland. My better half is going to grad school here so it would be better if we stayed in Cleveland for my 4 years of dental school. But, we definitely will be heading back West after dental school!!!

Boy, I feel for ya, this is a tough decision to make. I wish I had decisions like yours to make! :D

My dad actually lives in Henderson, NV (Suburb of LVegas) and always tells me to move out there. He loves it!

if i had a dad living in the suburb of las vegas, i wouldnt be having a second thought. haha.

man, i'm thinking about going to both schools again, even though thats gonna cost me soooo much money, just to see and go over the pros and cons again that i wasnt able to see when i was there for interviews.

polarnut said:
if i had a dad living in the suburb of las vegas, i wouldnt be having a second thought. haha.

man, i'm thinking about going to both schools again, even though thats gonna cost me soooo much money, just to see and go over the pros and cons again that i wasnt able to see when i was there for interviews.

PM me if you have any questions about Case. I know alot of dental students that go there. I live in Cleveland, so if you have any questions about Cleveland, feel free to PM me. I'll try and help you the best I can... :thumbup:

Case has quite new technology and resources. They have i think 72 dentsims and have a clinic chair for each student!!
Also, Cleveland is not that bad. You don't have to live downtown. Actually Cleveland Heights is pretty cool. Some low key bars, etc. Yeah the weather will suck compared to LV but the traffic is much better :) Also, I am not sure digital resources are the best overall way to learn, but that will save you some $$$ Case is expensive, but living is pretty cheap.
I am from cleveland so I dont think its that bad. but I am truly impressed with Case!
Goodluck!

polarnut said:

Case

Pros:
- Innovative curriculum

Cons:
- Cleveland
- Cleveland
- Cleveland weather

UNLV

Pros:
- Brand new facility
- Integrated curriculum
- Las Vegas

Cons

anybody else wanna chip in their 2 cents for me to muse on!? pretty please :oops:

polarnut said:
anybody else wanna chip in their 2 cents for me to muse on!? pretty please :oops:

I am a 3rd Year at UNLV.
If you have any q's about UNLV specifically I will be happy to answer them within reason. Let me know.

chinchaz said:
I am a 3rd Year at UNLV.
If you have any q's about UNLV specifically I will be happy to answer them within reason. Let me know.

1. do you think the UNLV curriculum is difficult compared to some other schools? i hear that 4-5 students fail out every semester at UNLV. they talk much about integrated curriculum. do you think that it is better and effective in term of preparing you for the board exam?

2. the school is relatively new. do you think that the school has improved immensely since your first year? if so, can you talk a little about what they have changed?

3. what further changes are to be expected? are there still any significant kinks, in your opinion, that the school needs to address?

4. when i interviewed at UNLV, the school felt pretty much like a commuter school. it is completely separated from the main university, and i didnt notice any housing community near the school. do most students drive to school from afar (+1 mile)? is housing readily available and does the school help accomodate students to find one?

5. how is the overall atmosphere within the student body? does the school encourage any type of student body organizations/social clubs/activities, etc?

6. assuming that i wont be eligible for in-state tuition after 1 year for various reason, do you think that UNLV is still worth $53,000 tuition/year for 4 years for dental education? compared to say....Case, which is $43,000/year.

7. lastly, do you think that as D3 student, the current D1 students are benefiting immensely from the trial/errors improvement that you had to suffer through? please be honest with this question: do you think that incoming class, class 2010, will also experience significant ups and downs that comes with the school being so new?

sorry for the long list of questions. your answers will be appreciated!

you may want to put, horrible IT support for UNLV. they all suck, i speak from experience.