Case Western SMP 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yadave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this thread is for all the students attending the Case Western Masters in Medical Physiology class 2012-2013

Members don't see this ad.

This is on my list of schools I am going to apply to! Have you already been accepted?

Accepted today. Definitely going to take a good hard look at this one. Ive read over the program site once, but does anyone know of any other sources to inquire about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
The letter was pretty vague. It said to contact Dr. Nosek "at your earlier possible convenience." I'll take that as meaning "take your time." It's nice they don't throw some overly short deadline on you like some other programs, though to be reasonable I probably wont take longer than 3-4 weeks to let them know. I think I am leaning away from this one though the curriculum sounds very interesting to me. I am wondering if there is opportunity to do legitimate lab work in the program.

just got my acceptance today. so far its just case and rush. i have an old friend from highschool who is in the program now. ill see how he likes it and let you guys know.

shocked to be holding multiple acceptances with 3.2 and 27O; do I actually have any chance of getting into med school next year? Anyone know if accepting CWRU means I'llbe considered Ohio res for admissions this coming cyle? Looking at Tufts, Georgetown, USF, NYMC.

Accepted also, and thinking about it. Dr. N said out of the 7 who are completing the program in 1 year, 2 have acceptances (1 dental), and 3 are on waitlists.

Hey, guys! I'm also considering Case and I emailed Dr. Nosek to ask him about the program since there isn't much out there.
I'm deciding between a few programs and I haven't made a decision yet, but Dr. Nosek's replies helped a bit so I thought I'd share.

1. How comparable are the courses available to masters' students to classes taken in medical school, both from the perspective of subject matter and grading?
NOSEK: At Case, the curriculum is all problem based so they take no formal courses in Physiology. Compared with medical school physiology, the material is presented at much greater depth and breathe and the grading is more vigorous.

2. Will students of this program be taking classes at the medical school and if so, will these classes be taken with medical students?
NOSEK: No, you will not be taking classes with medical students but our department is part of the medical school. We teach medical students and some of our elective courses are taken by advanced medical students.

3. Do the majority of students who apply/enroll in your program hope to attend medical school or are they trying to obtain a Masters degree in Physiology?
NOSEK: Most want to get into medical school About 15% want to get into dental school.

4. Of the students in your inaugural class, how many have applied to and been accepted into medical school?
NOSEK: We advise students to take two years to complete our program to get maximal benefit from it when applying to professional school. But we do have 7 students who are doing the program in 1 year. One was accepted in the SOM at Washington University in Seattle, one was admitted to the CWRU dental school, and 3 are on waiting lists at various medical schools.

5. Though there is no official linkage, if a student were to excel in the program and possess a competitive MCAT score, would he/she be looked upon favorably by Case SOM's admissions committee?
NOSEK: Yes

6. What sort of advising is available to students in the program, and more specifically, to those students who are interested in applying to medical schools during the program?
NOSEK: You are assigned two advisor. Your academic advisor helps you choose the courses that will help you get into medical school. The career advisor helps you develop a strategy for getting into a good medical school.

7. Is there a possibility for the program advisors to update the medical schools to which a student has applied of that student's performance after each exam block? Additionally, do the program advisors provide a committee letter for students applying to medical school?
NOSEK: We only communicate with medical schools at the end of each semester for those who have already applied. But we highly recommend that you do not apply to medical school until after your first year in the program. We provide a committee letter.

8. Are there any opportunities for clinical exposure and patient interaction (volunteering or otherwise) made available to students through the University?
NOSEK: Yes. We have 4 affiliated hospitals and many faculty who are working in a clinical setting. You are encouraged to take part in grand rounds and to shadow physicians. We have many students in our program who are working with clinical faculty.

9. Lastly, when does the program typically begin and where do Masters students typically live?
NOSEK: The first day of class is August 27th. The week before there are orientations at the university level and in the department. Students can live close to the university, there is good housing nearby. There is also graduate housing on campus.

Hope this helps! Has anyone learned of any other information or gotten feedback from any current students?

just got my acceptance today. so far its just case and rush. i have an old friend from highschool who is in the program now. ill see how he likes it and let you guys know.

Have you by any chance heard back from your friend? I was accepted about two weeks ago and am trying to get a little more information about the program other than that offered on the website..thanks!

I guess just the basics. Did he feel that the program helped his application significantly? How much were the medical physiology students actually involved in research? How does he feel about the program being so new? How many students have had any success getting into medical school this year?

Thanks to both of you in advance

Sorry for the delay....Here are his responses to some questions I asked him...

"To answer your question as to why I chose to go here, I was comforted by the fact that the med school, children's hospital, cancer center, and main university hospital were right on campus. This is where I have been able to make the most of going here, having found an awesome mentor and started some research/teaching projects that I would have never pursued (probably) anywhere else. But many people have not had the time or desire to seek these opportunities out. It really comes down to what you want to do with your time and your level of motivation.

While the medical physiology program itself is extremely comprehensive, it is very very new. Of course it will prepare you for medical school. That is without question. However we as a first class have endured something of a building period and have had to remain very flexible. Will many of these kinks be worked out next year? Yes. But there will definitely still be some adjusting taking place. Albeit a smaller amount than this year.

Also at this time we have no agreement with Case medical school for automatic interviews or any kind of special treatment in applications. This sucks.

The majority of our class (50 or so people total?) are applying this cycle to med school. So we won't know if it helps people get in until this winter rolls around. A few applied before, only one of which has actually shared that he got in. The rest applied to dental school. A few of them have interviews or so I've heard. It is definitely "geared" towards preparing students for medical school. But as of yet, absolutely no preference has been given for case med. The admissions committee for the med school knows they don't have to take anyone but the best students, plenty of which apply...so they aren't really scratching to fill seats.

Lastly, Cleveland itself is a point of contention. Some people love it and some people hate it. I'm somewhere in between. It takes a lot of looking to find the parts of Cleveland that people say make it so great, but they are here. On the flip side, Cleveland can be real ghetto and crime is definitely prevalent, even around campus. But it's usually pretty easy to avoid it."

So thats what he said, it seems like most people in the program waited until they finished before they applied so there really isn't much data showing how much it helped students get in. hope this helps

Congrats for all those who had been accepted :)

what do you think my chances for being accepted for a PhD after finishing this master program , I mean what if I decided later to proceed directly to PhD without entering medical school ??

Last edited:
I have been accepted to this program . After thinking about I have decided to attend. If anyoneattending is interested in finding a roomate let me know. I am 23 year old male from Seattle Washington.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the delay....Here are his responses to some questions I asked him...

"To answer your question as to why I chose to go here, I was comforted by the fact that the med school, children's hospital, cancer center, and main university hospital were right on campus. This is where I have been able to make the most of going here, having found an awesome mentor and started some research/teaching projects that I would have never pursued (probably) anywhere else. But many people have not had the time or desire to seek these opportunities out. It really comes down to what you want to do with your time and your level of motivation.

While the medical physiology program itself is extremely comprehensive, it is very very new. Of course it will prepare you for medical school. That is without question. However we as a first class have endured something of a building period and have had to remain very flexible. Will many of these kinks be worked out next year? Yes. But there will definitely still be some adjusting taking place. Albeit a smaller amount than this year.

Also at this time we have no agreement with Case medical school for automatic interviews or any kind of special treatment in applications. This sucks.

The majority of our class (50 or so people total?) are applying this cycle to med school. So we won't know if it helps people get in until this winter rolls around. A few applied before, only one of which has actually shared that he got in. The rest applied to dental school. A few of them have interviews or so I've heard. It is definitely "geared" towards preparing students for medical school. But as of yet, absolutely no preference has been given for case med. The admissions committee for the med school knows they don't have to take anyone but the best students, plenty of which apply...so they aren't really scratching to fill seats.

Lastly, Cleveland itself is a point of contention. Some people love it and some people hate it. I'm somewhere in between. It takes a lot of looking to find the parts of Cleveland that people say make it so great, but they are here. On the flip side, Cleveland can be real ghetto and crime is definitely prevalent, even around campus. But it's usually pretty easy to avoid it."

So thats what he said, it seems like most people in the program waited until they finished before they applied so there really isn't much data showing how much it helped students get in. hope this helps

Thanks for the insight! Did he by any chance mention what the kinks were or why there are only 7/~50 students graduating in 1 year? I'm leaning towards the program, the reputation of the institution is well known, but the program itself is very new and that's really my only concern..i'm hoping to finish the program in 1 year

I just got accepted today, yay! I was surpised I heard back so quickly. Anyways, do you know how long you have to accept their offer of admission? I'm still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools but don't want to risk missing out if I'm only accepted to one school.

I'm trying to compare both of these programs. Can anybody give any info? I'm trying to get into Medical school as a long term goal. I got my acceptance from case, still waiting on UC. I know the case program is still young, but I figure that Case is such a good school that it won't be unorganized.

Pro's cons?

Thanks

Sorry for two posts. Anybody know what the most suitable areas to live in are close to Case? Do most students drive to classes or live close by?

Thanks

Sorry for two posts. Anybody know what the most suitable areas to live in are close to Case? Do most students drive to classes or live close by?

Thanks

So a friend's boyfriend is from Cleveland and I've been talking to his mom, as she is a realtor, about the best places to live in the area. Some of the area's around Case are not the best but it seems like decent places to look into living are University Heights, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights and Tremont (?). I also have a silly map that I got from a post I made on the subreddit r/Cleveland that gives an interesting look at the area surrounding Case. I'll post it later when I can pull it up.

I haven't accepted yet as I'm waiting to hear back from 1 more school before I make my final decision but it's looking more and more like I might accept at Case. Are any of you guys California natives? If I accept here I'm planning to drive out there and do a 2 week road trip across the US and am looking for someone who might be wanting to join me since none of my friends can take 2 weeks off from their jobs to do this.

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I am a 22 year old male and i have already accepted my offer to attend this fall for the medical physiology program. I will be making a trip from Maryland to Cleveland to check out a couple apartments this upcoming weekend. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

So a friend's boyfriend is from Cleveland and I've been talking to his mom, as she is a realtor, about the best places to live in the area. Some of the area's around Case are not the best but it seems like decent places to look into living are University Heights, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights and Tremont (?). I also have a silly map that I got from a post I made on the subreddit r/Cleveland that gives an interesting look at the area surrounding Case. I'll post it later when I can pull it up.

I haven't accepted yet as I'm waiting to hear back from 1 more school before I make my final decision but it's looking more and more like I might accept at Case. Are any of you guys California natives? If I accept here I'm planning to drive out there and do a 2 week road trip across the US and am looking for someone who might be wanting to join me since none of my friends can take 2 weeks off from their jobs to do this.

Shaker heights is a quaint little town. A college ex lived there; I loved staying with her family, it was a nice little part of cleveland. Great places to eat too :)

Anyone looking for a roommate? I'm 22-year old male, I just graduated from Case undergrad, and I have a few places to live in mind. I'm pretty familiar with the campus and surrounding areas.

Thanks, and feel free to PM me if you're interested. Looking forward to meeting everyone this Fall.

Hi,
Im interested in rooming. Im 23 year old male from Seattle.

The Commonwealth Medical College Masters: Biomedical Science

CaseWestern Reserve University School of Medicine Masters: Medical Physiology

University ofSouth Florida-Morsani Medical School Masters:MS in Medical Sciences (Medical Track)

GraduateSchool of Biomedical Science Stratford Campus Masters: Biomedical Science

MississippiCollege Masters: Medical Science

University ofNorthern Colorado Masters: BiomedicalScience

Barry University-College of Health Science Masters:Master of Sciences in Biomedical Sciences Non-Thesis Master’s Program

Hey everyone, so as of now I am thinking of going to case. I may need a roommate. I'm 22 female PM. Also does anyone know if their is a Fb page for this class? Let me know. Thanks!

Hey everyone, congrats on the acceptances!

I'm deciding between Case and UMDNJ. I'm going to be visiting Case this week and meeting with Dr. Nosek and some of the faculty. I will be asking them questions regarding the program, research/volunteer opportunities as well as finance/tuition/OH residency. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them and I'll see if I can ask him.

I feel like the Case program offers a lot more than just proving yourself in upper level electives (which is pretty much what the UMDNJ program is) but again, the program is brand new and I wonder how med schools would weigh a new MS program at a big name versus an established MS program at a smaller institution. For me, the tuition costs and the in-state preference/residency issue (I'm from the tri-state area and would much prefer to stay there) is what's holding me back.

anyone in similar situations?

Thanks!

Wow, I know it's late in the game, but I hope someone gets to claim my spot! Wishing you the best :)