Case Western University- Master's in Medical Physiology Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm curious to know what the personal statement should be about for your app? I don't see anything on the website or application itself.

Thanks

Mine was pretty standard. First few paragraphs were how I developed an interest in dentistry. Last paragraph was about why I wanted to go to case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted earlier this week. Very excited, first acceptance to an SMP so far. I'm hoping for one program over this, but very excited to have somewhere to go! And this seems like a great program. Has anyone been to Cleveland? What's the atmosphere like there? Also, I had found a thread a while ago where people who were in the program wrote about their experiences, but I can't find it ANYWHERE! Does anyone have any idea where it is on the site?

@trishaaah
I haven't seen one with previous experiences but I would definitely check current thread for the fall 2014 class. Let me know if you find the one you were talking about. I would love to read it.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-western-thread-2013-2014-app-cycle.1054341/

Awesome, thank you! I'll definitely check it out. The one I'm thinking of had a lot of students talking about it and their experiences with professors and stuff, and I believe they said, too, that if you get above a certain score on the shelf exam they change your grade to an A for the corresponding course(s). Which is kind of cool.

Do you happen to know how grading works there? Online it says A, B, C, etc. but I'm not sure if this means it's A/A-/B+/B/B-, etc.

@trishaaah I think at the open house they said its just A/B/C. I am not 100% sure on that though. They did say an 85% was an A and if you get a C (rare) you wont be able to get into professional school.

Reactions: 1 user
@trishaaah I think at the open house they said its just A/B/C. I am not 100% sure on that though. They did say an 85% was an A and if you get a C (rare) you wont be able to get into professional school.
Awesome thank you! Very helpful. And that makes complete sense about the C.

Hey everyone, I just finished my first year in the program. I'm glad to answer any questions you guys have. I'll check in periodically.

Over/under on how this program will be received now that it's also an online program, which I thought was the death of these programs?

http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...-ms-medical-physiology/msmp-internet-program/

There is an option to do the program over the internet. The lectures are streamed live and recorded. Exams are given at a secure testing location. For this reason I am fairly certain that your transcript would not report your classes as online courses but I'm not 100% sure. If you're concerned you should contact the program and ask. I would recommend to anyone that they should not do the online version if they can be here in Cleveland. There are a lot of benefits to being in this environment (hospitals, research, friends, study groups etc…)

Hey everyone, I just finished my first year in the program. I'm glad to answer any questions you guys have. I'll check in periodically.
Hello. How do you feel about the program? Do you feel like it is preparing you for your career goal? Are you pursuing medical school? How is advising? What are the pros and cons of the program? What would you change?

Just accepted earlier this week. Very excited, first acceptance to an SMP so far. I'm hoping for one program over this, but very excited to have somewhere to go! And this seems like a great program. Has anyone been to Cleveland? What's the atmosphere like there? Also, I had found a thread a while ago where people who were in the program wrote about their experiences, but I can't find it ANYWHERE! Does anyone have any idea where it is on the site?

Congrats on your acceptance! The atmosphere in Cleveland is like a small city. Case is located just outside of the actual downtown part of Cleveland so it doesn't feel very busy (other than the ambulances and helicopters for the hospital), but you're close to a lot of city "things." People go downtown on the weekends and to Ohio City for night life. In terms of literal environment, Cleveland is similar to the northeast in that its cold in the winter with snow and hot and humid in the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I was accepted to the MS in Pathology and was wondering about housing options. It seems like there are some really nice places for graduate students, however I've seen a lot of posts about "not so good" areas in Cleveland so I am a little worried. If anyone has advice about the best apartments/areas that are "safer", please let me know!!! Thank you! Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate for this upcoming fall, let me know! 25, female...fyi. Thanks!

Look on craigslist. Little Italy, Cleveland Heights, University Circle. It's not that hard to find something reasonably priced and close to campus. If you will have a car you can venture further out to Shaker Heights etc…

Recently got accepted!! Pretty fast turnaround.

Now that the program has had a few years, whats are the pros and cons of the program? Any successful pre-dents out there?

The pre dental students seem to be having a lot of success!

Hello. How do you feel about the program? Do you feel like it is preparing you for your career goal? Are you pursuing medical school? How is advising? What are the pros and cons of the program? What would you change?

I have enjoyed the program a lot so far. I'm impressed with Case and the institutional culture here. It's academically intense but also very laid-back. I absolutely feel that it's preparing me for my career goal (which is medical school). I have learned so much this year; not just scientifically speaking, but how to study more effectively, how to think more clinically, how to take exams. The advising is good. Some problems with premed advising as a whole is that every student is different and everyone you talk to tells you something different. I think that at Case they do a good job of trying to individualize the advising and help you to make a plan that is unique to your given situation. You get an academic and career advisor. Also, I haven't come across a faculty member that wasn't willing to meet and offer advice. It's a collaborative environment for sure, and you get the sense that the faculty truly want us to succeed. Our success is their success, and that's how it should be.

Probably the only downside to the program I can think of is that compared with other SMPs out there it is not a simulation of the first year of medical school. However, this is also positive because you really get to focus on physiology and make sure that you know it cold. Also, it opens up the door for you to take elective courses and tailor your degree towards what you specifically need/want to accomplish. Starting next year they are introducing "areas of concentration" that will allow you to specialize in given area of physiology. One example that people may find interesting is the neuroscience one, in which you do a clinical rotation through neurology with the 3rd year med students at Case. Also, having a somewhat lighter course load than some SMPs allows you to get involved in clinical and research opportunities (which are bountiful here in Cleveland).

Reactions: 2 users
I have enjoyed the program a lot so far. I'm impressed with Case and the institutional culture here. It's academically intense but also very laid-back. I absolutely feel that it's preparing me for my career goal (which is medical school). I have learned so much this year; not just scientifically speaking, but how to study more effectively, how to think more clinically, how to take exams. The advising is good. Some problems with premed advising as a whole is that every student is different and everyone you talk to tells you something different. I think that at Case they do a good job of trying to individualize the advising and help you to make a plan that is unique to your given situation. You get an academic and career advisor. Also, I haven't come across a faculty member that wasn't willing to meet and offer advice. It's a collaborative environment for sure, and you get the sense that the faculty truly want us to succeed. Our success is their success, and that's how it should be.

Probably the only downside to the program I can think of is that compared with other SMPs out there it is not a simulation of the first year of medical school. However, this is also positive because you really get to focus on physiology and make sure that you know it cold. Also, it opens up the door for you to take elective courses and tailor your degree towards what you specifically need/want to accomplish. Starting next year they are introducing "areas of concentration" that will allow you to specialize in given area of physiology. One example that people may find interesting is the neuroscience one, in which you do a clinical rotation through neurology with the 3rd year med students at Case. Also, having a somewhat lighter course load than some SMPs allows you to get involved in clinical and research opportunities (which are bountiful here in Cleveland).
Such great information! Thank you so much!

Hello, I was accepted to the MS in Pathology and was wondering about housing options. It seems like there are some really nice places for graduate students, however I've seen a lot of posts about "not so good" areas in Cleveland so I am a little worried. If anyone has advice about the best apartments/areas that are "safer", please let me know!!! Thank you! Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate for this upcoming fall, let me know! 25, female...fyi. Thanks!
Hi Pinky642, I'm attending this fall as well, and also looking for apts and roommates currently, if you are still interested? (I'm from michigan, female, 23). I'm going to Cleveland this coming Wednesday and Friday to meet with my advisors, and probably look for places to live for next year. Let me know :)

Hi Pinky642, I'm attending this fall as well, and also looking for apts and roommates currently, if you are still interested? (I'm from michigan, female, 23). I'm going to Cleveland this coming Wednesday and Friday to meet with my advisors, and probably look for places to live for next year. Let me know :)
Hey cheesesmile! I was in Cleveland over Easter break...I found a really nice apartment, it's on the "overlook", about a mile from campus. Its an old mansion they turned into apartments and they offer furnished apartments, which is what I was looking for! It's called overlook housing. Anyways, they are the cheapest/nicest place we looked at so hope this helps! Btw, how did the meeting with the advisors go? When I went I spoke with Dr. Petersen and that was it...apparently there are not that many students in the pathology program....maybe that's a good thing??

hello,

for those who have attened the program or will be attending the program do you not find the costs of the program to be high for return on investment, considering it is relatively new and has no true linkage.

i have been accepted into the program and love the culture i have seen from case. this would be an ideal school to atttend except it is easily 10k more than other programs that i have been accepted to. i have asked financial aid for potential grants or assistance, but it seems loans are only method for finance

if anybody is aware of alternative funding opportunities (secret grants or scholarships) through case western then can you plese post them.

thank you

Not really sure why a school would offer grants or scholarships for a "useless-ish" degree program designed for GPA repair?

Not really sure why a school would offer grants or scholarships for a "useless-ish" degree program designed for GPA repair?

i was a bit idealistic in asking the question. hoping such a university would see value in providing assistance for committed students. i agree the degree is useless, outside of improving gpa, and essentially another revenue stream for university.

but if there are students wanting to attend the program Dr. Nosek did mention a way to obtain tuition assistance. if you are able to obtain full time employment at case western then you can take advantage of tuition assistance as a part time student.