Case Western vs Mississippi??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Problend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here is my dilemma. After graduating in May 2010, I've been working in Mental Health for the past 2 years. I was rejected from all my MD schools that I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear back from my DO schools (but by this time I'm assuming I got rejected).

My stats: 3.0 GPA, 27 MCAT 10PS,8 VR,9 BS

I've applied to 2 Post bacc programs and it seems that I got into Case Western's MS in Physiology program and Mississippi College's MA in Biomedical Science program.

I'm taking the GRE soon to apply for MPH and/or MHA programs. The problem is that it's probably too late to apply to MPH or MHA programs, nonetheless, I'll be trying. Now the question remains...do I risk the 40K/yr that I pay at Case - a program that might take 2 years to complete so I'd be 80K in debt with no guarantee after. Or do I do the Mississippi College's program which is a 1 yr program where I'd take all first year med school courses it seems. I just want to get started with med school ASAP. Would you retake the MCAT?

I realize that Case is a big name school and my application would really great if I were to do well in that program. However, in the case that I don't do well...is a MS in Physiology worth anything by itself? I mean, can I get a job with that? If I were to do poorly (say 3.3 GPA), then I would probably go the business route and do MHA/MPH/MBA...

What would you do?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, why did you apply to MD schools with a 3.0 gpa and a 27 MCAT?

But to answer your question, I've seen graduates from MC's program attend many D.O. schools and frequently the M.D. school in Jackson. Now if you want to go M.D., the consensus would seem to travel down the Case Western route or any other SMPs, destroy those classes, retake the MCAT scoring at least 30+ (ideally 32+) and then apply also ensuring great ECs, experience, etc. Your MCAT is not bad for D.O. schools at all. Honestly, do well in the MC program that has fairly great reviews and apply D.O..