Case Western vs Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natalux

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Case Western
Pros:
  • Higher ranked
  • I like the curriculum a LOT based on the info I got on my interview day
  • Mandatory research thesis/time set aside for research - I don't have much of an independent drive to pursue research tbh so I think that this would conversely help me to make sure I involve myself in research as opposed to having to seek it out myself?
  • Great selection of hospitals for rotations
  • I like Cleveland tbh
Cons:
  • A little over $100k more expensive; this difference will be entirely composed of loans
  • Further from home
Ohio State
Pros
  • went here from undergrad so I'm already familiar with campus, Columbus, etc
  • So much cheaper (I'm in-state)
  • Still an excellent school overall!!
Cons
  • Prestige difference, although this is minimal
  • No dedicated research time
  • It seems like a lot of students from here match into Ohio programs; I'm not sure how much of this is just due to student preference, but I'd like to move out of Ohio for residency
  • Having gone here for undergrad means I'll spend another 4 years in the same place, won't get to experience a new city etc
I also don't have as much detail on OSU's curriculum as I received about Case Western's, so I don't know how much of a practical difference there is between the two.

Summary: There's a lot about Case that I really really like, but it's a lot more expensive and I don't know if the differences between Case and OSU are worth 100k.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Really depends on your financial situation. I'd personally go to OSU since it's a great and cheap school for IS. They also emphasize training in ultrasound, which different doctors keep telling me to learn well in med school ("ultrasound is the future stethoscope.") But I also understand how you want to experience a different city (my friend from OSU is going through the same dilemma as you). Plus, I heard Case is one of the lower stress schools (whatever that means).

Tl;dr: I vote OSU because it's cheaper

Reactions: 2 users
Disclaimer: was accepted at both, and am withdrawing from Case

The prestige difference is negligible imho (OSU has a solid match list; I think the midwest matching is largely self-selection), and the cost difference is significant. I second the OSU pro of ultrasound training, and having the option to not attend lectures.

It sounds like you really like Case, though, so I think it's up to you to decide if that 100k difference is worth it. It wasn't for me.

Reactions: 1 users
OSU is an awesome school, very little prestige difference (will have no tangible difference for residency), well known throughout the country, strong match lists, and 100k cheaper.

"It seems like a lot of students from here match into Ohio programs; I'm not sure how much of this is just due to student preference, but I'd like to move out of Ohio for residency"

This point here is largely based on student preference. You can go anywhere from there if you so desire, don't worry.

Case is also a great school and if you go there you will be very successful career wise, but you have to personally weight that with 100k in loans.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If money is not a big consideration, I'd probably choose Case. If taking loans, etc. I'd probably go to OSU.

Reactions: 1 user
Former Ohio resident, OSU grad, and I used to work for their medical center.

I'd choose OSU. I think the prestige is pretty comparable between the two and OSU has a great match list. The price for in-state also can't be beaten. I think the choice will ultimately be up to what you want to do in the future. Case definitely has a more research-focused approach, but I think both will provide you the support you need to match competitively in any specialty. While OSU doesn't really have a dedicated research focus, the medical center is incredibly accessible and the physicians I used to work with were very receptive of med students doing research with them.

I also get the urge to leave - I'm a Columbus native and it felt like I'd spent my entire life around OSU's campus. But hear me out - Cleveland = Columbus + lake effect snow + (even more) potholes

Great choices! I'd choose OSU. The 10 spot "rank" difference is not worth $30k/year ($65k vs $35k). That's $120k straight up and $180k after interest compounds over a decade of studying.

Case is almost never worth the cost, unless the perceived prestige between the schools were wildly off. That's not the case between OSU and Case, as they swim in each other's circles. OSU also just has a better overall school culture/pride than Case, for obvious reasons.

$100,000 is a lot of money, even more on the back end with interest (you will pay back more than double the principal assuming a 6% rate on the loan). I can't begin to tell you how much financial freedom that will afford you. Your residency will be less stressful, you will have more money to spend on things like eating out, a vacation, or even a better car/house/apartment.

Your earnings potential if you graduate from either program will be the same, and is dependent more on your STEP scores and clinical experiences. OSU has a tremendous program with excellent resources, and is in a thriving and safe area. It will give you a top education just as much as CWRU. Between the two, a medical student will have more 'fun' in Columbus. Plus, more Big 10 football.

The lack of research focus won't hurt you if you are truly attracted to research. My friends who went to OSU were all research driven and had several impressive publications under their belts each by the time they graduated.