CASPer Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbasketball

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm writing an article regarding CASPer and I'm wondering if there are a few students here interested in detailing their experiences with the exam. Most notably, what do you think of the test? Did you prepare for it? Did you find the test challenging?

Feel free to DM me here to discuss more! Looking forward to hearing from some of you!

All the best in the application process

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the test was absolutely useless and a money grab. I don't think the test translates to real life scenarios. However, I got interviews from 3 schools that used it so maybe it was a blessing for me.

Reactions: 7 users
I want to second the above message. I also got interviews from 3 schools that use it, but one of my interview invites came waaaay before my CASPer results had come back, so it couldn't have played a role in the decision to invite me. I was ultimately rejected from that school, but I feel that was more of a problem with fit with the school rather than my CASPer results as I was accepted to another school that uses it (still waiting on a decision from the third school).

I don't understand its purpose and don't see how the insights that it purports to give couldn't be achieved by having some ethical questions during the interview process and/or ethical secondary questions. It just feels like yet another hurdle to jump through for medical school admissions after I've already paid for the MCAT (and all the prep that goes with that), AMCAS, secondaries, 4 years of undergrad education, etc. People go on about how you can't study for it, but you can certainly prep for it. Anyone with enough sense can figure out that to do well they simply need to understand the situation presented and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of both sides' arguments. Because of this ease of preparation, I feel that even the most socially awkward people who have no business interacting with patients can do reasonably well on it.

I would be super interested in knowing who profits off of this test and how they managed to market this to medical schools as a reasonable assessment to require for admission.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For schools that require the CASPer exam for the 1st or even 2nd app cycle, I have heard of schools not even using the test results in their criteria for admissions. In this situation, they are going to look at the class they admitted and then look at their Casper scores after granting admission, and see if/how Casper would have changed who they admitted to the school. I had similar results to the above posters in regards to IIs. I think the test has some value, but because students are interviewed it is worthless. If they could somehow convert this test to something for veterinarian school admissions, bc most have no interviews, then it would probably bring more value.

Would you be interested in expanding on this? You can definitely send me a direct message!

I want to second the above message. I also got interviews from 3 schools that use it, but one of my interview invites came waaaay before my CASPer results had come back, so it couldn't have played a role in the decision to invite me. I was ultimately rejected from that school, but I feel that was more of a problem with fit with the school rather than my CASPer results as I was accepted to another school that uses it (still waiting on a decision from the third school).

I don't understand its purpose and don't see how the insights that it purports to give couldn't be achieved by having some ethical questions during the interview process and/or ethical secondary questions. It just feels like yet another hurdle to jump through for medical school admissions after I've already paid for the MCAT (and all the prep that goes with that), AMCAS, secondaries, 4 years of undergrad education, etc. People go on about how you can't study for it, but you can certainly prep for it. Anyone with enough sense can figure out that to do well they simply need to understand the situation presented and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of both sides' arguments. Because of this ease of preparation, I feel that even the most socially awkward people who have no business interacting with patients can do reasonably well on it.

I would be super interested in knowing who profits off of this test and how they managed to market this to medical schools as a reasonable assessment to require for admission.

I got rejected from a couple schools the same day they got my score so it didn’t go too well haha. But based on my acceptances this cycle I’m actually pretty good at in person MMI/ethical scenarios. I’m just a *really* slow typist and wasn’t able to fully articulate my thoughts during the CASPER test.

I got rejected from a couple schools the same day they got my score so it didn’t go too well haha. But based on my acceptances this cycle I’m actually pretty good at in person MMI/ethical scenarios. I’m just a *really* slow typist and wasn’t able to fully articulate my thoughts during the CASPER test.
Hello! Would you want to be interviewed for my article? Happy to keep you relatively anonymous!