CASPER Schools 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don't need to prepare unless you have no life experience with moral situations or don't know how to handle those situations. I went in with 2 hours prep right before the test and felt fine about it. Read the FAQ and do the sample test.

Good to hear, similar to what I was thinking.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to prepare unless you have no life experience with moral situations or don't know how to handle those situations. I went in with 2 hours prep right before the test and felt fine about it. Read the FAQ and do the sample test.
How did you manage to prep for 2 hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
When the test date says Thursday, June 21st at 5:00PM, does that mean the test must be started immediately at 5, the earliest it can be started is 5, or must be taken by 5? I wasn't able to find any info about that on the FAQ.

When the test date says Thursday, June 21st at 5:00PM, does that mean the test must be started immediately at 5, the earliest it can be started is 5, or must be taken by 5? I wasn't able to find any info about that on the FAQ.
5PM exactly the test is available. You have a 10-15 minute window of allowance to begin the test. I don't think you can take it after that window of time.

Reactions: 1 user
5PM exactly the test is available. You have a 10-15 minute window of allowance to begin the test. I don't think you can take it after that window of time.
Ok cool, that clarifies it. I was hoping to take it tomorrow morning, but I'll have to just wait until the next one in July.

Ended up getting accepted to start school this summer after having signed up to take CASPer anticipating re-applying. Now they won't refund my $20.

Anyone taking it tonight? #June21CASPerSupportGroup :help:

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone taking it tonight? #June21CASPerSupportGroup :help:

Was going to do it this evening but ended up deciding to just move my test date to July 8th. Only 2 of the schools on my list require it, one being a reach and the other being a low-yield school LOL.

Just sitting around waiting... read up on some bioethics with UW's website, but other than that, I'm banking on my 110 wpm typing and my "I'm-not-a-super-jerk" attitude to get me by. I just don't want to have a brain fart and freeze... :confused:

Was going to do it this evening but ended up deciding to just move my test date to July 8th. Only 2 of the schools on my list require it, one being a reach and the other being a low-yield school LOL.
I envy you. If I end up applying to my 25+ schools, I think somewhere between 5-15 of them, depending on my finalized list, will want a CASPer. I'll be pretty broke after that and secondaries...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just sitting around waiting... read up on some bioethics with UW's website, but other than that, I'm banking on my 110 wpm typing and my "I'm-not-a-super-jerk" attitude to get me by. I just don't want to have a brain fart and freeze... :confused:

I envy you. If I end up applying to my 25+ schools, I think somewhere between 5-15 of them, depending on my finalized list, will want a CASPer. I'll be pretty broke after that and secondaries...

Yea, I got a 0% APR credit card just for applications. Probs will approach 4k with everything (minus any hopeful interviews).

Good luck to everyone taking the CASPer in a few minutes!

THAT WAS THE PITS. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.

Ay ay ay that was not fun for my hands haha

Ay ay ay that was not fun for my hands haha
My hands actually feel okay.... but I definitely think I could've explained some of those questions better. Ugh. :bang:

Reactions: 3 users
My hands actually feel okay.... but I definitely think I could've explained some of those questions better. Ugh. :bang:
SAMEEEEEEE!!!!! I kept on panicking and then I felt like I was repeating myself over and over again. And there were 2 questions just confused the crap out me lol

I actually felt pretty OK about most of the questions, minus a couple of those standalone questions.

I think we all kind of did. Some of these questions are basic, but you could prob write entire essays on similar issues

SAMEEEEEEE!!!!! I kept on panicking and then I felt like I was repeating myself over and over again. And there were 2 questions just confused the crap out me lol
I definitely used the words "honest, open, and respectful dialogue" in maybe every scenario lol.

I actually felt pretty OK about most of the questions, minus a couple of those standalone questions.
Most of the video scenarios were actually not too bad, but I agree, it was the standalone questions or the word-based scenarios that made me doubt myself.

I completely forgot about the webcam haha I hope they enjoy my reactions throughout haha :wideyed:

Reactions: 1 users
I'm at a loss for why the time limit is 5 minutes. Even 8 would have been vastly superior. What's the value of preventing us from carefully considering the scenario for a minute? In cases where i paused to think, I payed for it dearly with cut off sentences and arguments.

I'm at a loss for why the time limit is 5 minutes. Even 8 would have been vastly superior. What's the value of preventing us from carefully considering the scenario for a minute? In cases where i paused to think, I payed for it dearly with cut off sentences and arguments.
100% of my scenarios had cut off senten

Reactions: 3 users
So wait, does anyone have insight to people on how CASPer scores can affect the chance of getting an II? I'm aware that CASPer can't really rescue you if your stats are not up to par with the school. However, if my stats are average for the school, is an average CASPer ok? Is it only a bad CASPer score that really affects your application?

I need to stop freaking out about this but I can't. I'm pretty sure I did average.... maybe.

So wait, does anyone have insight to people on how CASPer scores can affect the chance of getting an II? I'm aware that CASPer can't really rescue you if your stats are not up to par with the school. However, if my stats are average for the school, is an average CASPer ok? Is it only a bad CASPer score that really affects your application?

I need to stop freaking out about this but I can't. I'm pretty sure I did average.... maybe.
I honestly wouldnt freak out too much over this. From everything that I have read, it seems like most schools dont really know how to use the data and we are more in a trial period. Personally I thought the questions were fairly easy, only one question I thought back on and said "if I had more time to think about my answer that could have been better." I am SURE you did fine. Relax and make sure you get those secondaries ready! Best of luck to you!

Some schools use it as a screening tool when deciding on interviews. I listened to a podcast with a director of admissions for a CASPer school, and she said that their school doesn’t use it yet, but she’s seen a positive correlation between performance on CASPer and performance on interviews. She also said her colleagues who do use it mainly use it as a way to offer IIs to people whose stats are a little sub-par but who scored well on CASPer.

Some schools use it as a screening tool when deciding on interviews. I listened to a podcast with a director of admissions for a CASPer school, and she said that their school doesn’t use it yet, but she’s seen a positive correlation between performance on CASPer and performance on interviews. She also said her colleagues who do use it mainly use it as a way to offer IIs to people whose stats are a little sub-par but who scored well on CASPer.
Yeah. My #1 choice switched to both MMI and requiring CASPer this cycle. I suspect it has some weight but primarily functions to tip the balance towards offering an II vs. outright rejection/silence.

Yeah. My #1 choice switched to both MMI and requiring CASPer this cycle. I suspect it has some weight but primarily functions to tip the balance towards offering an II vs. outright rejection/silence.

Well. My stats are a little sub-par so..
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

How many of these schools require completion of CASPer before evaluating your application? Can they still send out interviews if you do CASPer at a later date? I've been searching on MSAR and only some of the schools list CASPer as a requirement that must be completed in order to be marked as "complete." Others that are on the list above don't even mention it on MSAR. This is annoying.....................

Is Wisconsin no longer requiring it? They did this last cycle.

I trashed my secondary because of that.

I think it’s entirely unreasonable to expect students to take a second test. If you can’t figure out what the CASPER teaches you during an interview day with the candidate, YOU have the problem, not the applicant.
Agree :)

looks like it isn't even super necessary for Tulane.

upload_2018-6-28_16-17-38.png

Posting this as a heads up: I took it tonight & it was super glitchy. First it couldn't access the webcam, and then the video froze so many times that I lost track. All their tech support chat could suggest was to "restart the browser & then restart the computer". I did that, & it would work for a while & then freeze again, prompting another restart. I was able to complete it (& was assured that it wouldn't affect my score), but it was pretty frustrating. Given the lack of standardized testing conditions, it doesn't seem like a very objective measurement.

I'd previously done the sample test & systems check, & I used the latest version of Chrome (per the site's suggestion).

Posting this as a heads up: I took it tonight & it was super glitchy. First it couldn't access the webcam, and then the video froze so many times that I lost track. All their tech support chat could suggest was to "restart the browser & then restart the computer". I did that, & it would work for a while & then freeze again, prompting another restart. I was able to complete it (& was assured that it wouldn't affect my score), but it was pretty frustrating. Given the lack of standardized testing conditions, it doesn't seem like a very objective measurement.

I'd previously done the sample test & systems check, & I used the latest version of Chrome (per the site's suggestion).
Were u able to actually see yourself? Now I'm worried lol

Were u able to actually see yourself? Now I'm worried lol

I couldn't at the beginning, where they ask you to take the picture, but after I restarted my computer I could.
I couldn't see myself from the webcam during the test (I don't think you're supposed to - that would be distracting), but the light next to my webcam was on.

I took it yesterday too and had zero problems. Sorry you had to deal with that. Did you use the available support?

I couldn't at the beginning, where they ask you to take the picture, but after I restarted my computer I could.
I couldn't see myself from the webcam during the test (I don't think you're supposed to - that would be distracting), but the light next to my webcam was on.
Oh ok. Same

University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine should be added to this list!

Can anyone else relate: I took it today and I looked at a lot of CASPer prep videos (and my typing isn't that slow), but I couldn't finish any of the questions on time and I think I f'ed up pretty badly lol :( Also I'm worried that I took it so late. I have everything else in so I would be complete in the end of August

Are any of these schools that REQUIREs the CAPSER in order for your app to complete? Which of them are recommend/suggest to have CASPER? trying to save money here by not sending to those that don't require it.

Also, for those of you who qualify for FAP, does FAP cover your fee if you send your results to additional schools? Or just free for one school?

Can anyone else relate: I took it today and I looked at a lot of CASPer prep videos (and my typing isn't that slow), but I couldn't finish any of the questions on time and I think I f'ed up pretty badly lol :( Also I'm worried that I took it so late. I have everything else in so I would be complete in the end of August

You didn’t take it that late. Also, what’s done is done. I tell people the only prep worth doing is making sure you can type decently quick. Don’t worry about it now since it’s already done.

Are any of these schools that REQUIREs the CAPSER in order for your app to complete? Which of them are recommend/suggest to have CASPER? trying to save money here by not sending to those that don't require it.

Also, for those of you who qualify for FAP, does FAP cover your fee if you send your results to additional schools? Or just free for one school?
Yes. FAP covers all of the fees for CASPER. Not sure about the answers to you other questions.