CASPER Schools 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moequestions

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone thought I'd share this (feel free to update if I missed any). Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I'm rooting for you all!!:clap::banana:

Current MD Schools Requiring CASPER as of JULY2018 UPDATED: (07/28/2018)

1.) Albany Medical College (Albany, New York)

2.) Central Michigan University (Saginaw, Michigan)

3.) Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine (Florida Atlantic University)

4.) Chicago Medical School (Rosalind Franklin University)

5.) Drexel University College of Medicine (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6.) East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, Tennessee)

7.) Long School of Medicine (San Antonio, Texas)

8.) Medical College of Georgia (Augusta University)

9.) Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

10.) Mercer University School of Medicine (Macon, Georgia)

11.) New York Medical College (Valhalla, New York)

12.) Northeast Ohio Medical University (Rootstown, Ohio)

13.) Robert Larner College of Medicine (University of Vermont)

14.) Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (Newark, New Jersey)

15.) Stony Brook University School of Medicine (Stony Brook, New York)

16.) Temple University School of Medicine (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

17.) Texas A&M College of Medicine (Bryan, Texas)

18.) Texas Tech School of Medicine (Lubbock, Texas)

19.) Tulane University School of Medicine (New Orleans, Louisiana)

20.) University of Colorado School of Medicine (Aurora, Colorado)

21.) University of Illinois College of Medicine (Chicago, Illinois)

22.) University of Miami (Miller School of Medicine)

23.) University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

24.) University of Washington School of Medicine (Seattle, Washington)

25.) Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (Richmond, Virginia)

26.) West Virginia University School of Medicine (Morgantown, West Virginia)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Can we move this to the general forum?

Is Wisconsin no longer requiring it? They did this last cycle.

I trashed my secondary because of that.

I think it’s entirely unreasonable to expect students to take a second test. If you can’t figure out what the CASPER teaches you during an interview day with the candidate, YOU have the problem, not the applicant.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone thought I'd share this (feel free to update if I missed any). Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I'm rooting for you all!!:clap::banana:

Current MD Schools Requiring CASPER as of JUNE2018

1.) Albany Medical College (Albany, New York)

2.) Central Michigan University (Saginaw, Michigan)

3.) Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine (Florida Atlantic University)

4.) Chicago Medical School (Rosalind Franklin University)

5.) Drexel University College of Medicine (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6.) Medical College of Georgia (Augusta University)

7.) Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

8.) Mercer University School of Medicine (Macon, Georgia)

9.) New York Medical College (Valhalla, New York)

10.) Quillen College of Medicine (East Tennessee State University)

11.) Robert Larner College of Medicine (University of Vermont)

12.) Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (Newark, New Jersey)

13.) Texas A&M College of Medicine (Bryan, Texas)

14.) Tulane University School of Medicine (New Orleans, Louisiana)

15.) University of Colorado School of Medicine (Aurora, Colorado)

16.) University of Illinois College of Medicine (Chicago, Illinois)

17.) University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

18.) West Virginia University School of Medicine (Morgantown, West Virginia)

19. Long School of Medicine (San Antonio, Texas) - wont be necessary for an interview, but will be used as a “secondary application” for those invited to the interview. Per their email after receiving my primary.

20. Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine (Lubbock, Texas) - not required for an interview but will be required for acceptance.

Oh my goodness, hate to see more schools forcing applicants to take yet another "exam"..

Reactions: 5 users
Oh my goodness, hate to see more schools forcing applicants to take yet another "exam"..
It really wasn’t too bad and I’m the kind to freak about any testing. I got into a bit of a groove. Definitely much less stressful than the ‘Cat. My only contention is I’ll never know my results. Still haven’t wrapped my head around the justification.

Reactions: 4 users
Just curious...how much do you folks write for each question? I usually am only able to do like 3-4 sentences on my practice and idk if that is enough

Was just looking for this! Thanks!

I don't think university of Michigan requires it anymore? It's not on the Casper site.

Edit: nevermind I was looking at the old list

It really wasn’t too bad and I’m the kind to freak about any testing. I got into a bit of a groove. Definitely much less stressful than the ‘Cat. My only contention is I’ll never know my results. Still haven’t wrapped my head around the justification.

Ah OK, I wouldn't know. I avoided every school that required it last cycle lol

Just curious...how much do you folks write for each question? I usually am only able to do like 3-4 sentences on my practice and idk if that is enough
That was about how much I wrote. Some questions I wrote more, some less. Honestly, once I got started the adrenaline kicked in and I was able to still have ~45 seconds after each scenario to quickly skim my answers.

Is Wisconsin no longer requiring it? They did this last cycle.

I trashed my secondary because of that.

I think it’s entirely unreasonable to expect students to take a second test. If you can’t figure out what the CASPER teaches you during an interview day with the candidate, YOU have the problem, not the applicant.
Medical colleges of WI is on the list above. University of Wisconsin never required Casper.

Reactions: 1 user
Are these the new schools or the updated schools? Dont see RFU or Vermont on the list.

EDIT: Nvm I cant read. Hence the low CARS score....

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really care about taking an hour to do some stupid test, but spending an extra ~$100 for this is ridiculous. $10 per school just to send the results? Thats a blatant money grab.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't really care about taking an hour to do some stupid test, but spending an extra ~$100 for this is ridiculous. $10 per school just to send the results? Thats a blatant money grab.
I wouldn't be surprised if medical schools get a cut of the bounty as well..

Same. Fortunately, only two of the schools I applied to require it, so I only had to pay $30.

Same. Fortunately, only two of the schools I applied to require it, so I only had to pay $30.

Anyone doing any CASPer prep?
I took the sample test and felt pretty solid. Currently scheduled to take tomorrow.

I took the sample test and felt pretty solid. Currently scheduled to take tomorrow.

No prep here. I used to write for a living, so I type fast. I did the sample test to get an idea of what it’s like. That’s all I’m doing. I’m taking it July 8 I think.

No prep here. I used to write for a living, so I type fast. I did the sample test to get an idea of what it’s like. That’s all I’m doing. I’m taking it July 8 I think.

Nice, that seems reasonable. Good luck!
Hopefully, my medical scribing experience will help with the typing

I think you have the wrong Rutgers. Robert Wood Johnson I believe requires it, not NJMS.

Do the schools wait until they receive your CASPER results before reviewing your app?

But with a 3 week processing period, a 6/21 testing date might be a bit on the late side, would you say?
Some schools will review you but will wait for your score to come through to decide on IIs and stuff. Others will wait until they get the score to start reviewing.

I'm thinking about buying some practice material but that's about it

Speaking of money grabs:

so here's a pretty real question I have about casper. Does my webcam need to be on the entire time? My laptop webcam is super flaky and position dependent, so there's a pretty strong chance it will fail at some point lol.

so here's a pretty real question I have about casper. Does my webcam need to be on the entire time? My laptop webcam is super flaky and position dependent, so there's a pretty strong chance it will fail at some point lol.
I would say absolutely yes it must always be on, but I think that’s a specific situation you should take up with Casper since I do not know what happens if the camera does cut out.

I would say absolutely yes it must always be on, but I think that’s a specific situation you should take up with Casper since I do not know what happens if the camera does cut out.
Hopefully Target will accept the return of a once-used webcam.

Hopefully Target will accept the return of a once-used webcam.
Got a $9 webcam on amazon. It was on to take a picture of me, to match to my ID. Other than that I didn’t notice it being on (no green light). If it were oops. I might have a dropped an expletive/odd look or two at some of the people in the scenarios.

Got a $9 webcam on amazon. It was on to take a picture of me, to match to my ID. Other than that I didn’t notice it being on (no green light). If it were oops. I might have a dropped an expletive/odd look or two at some of the people in the scenarios.
I very much appreciate your username and avatar. RIP.

FAU why you torture me so...

I’m taking the test tomorrow. 7 out of 22 schools I’ve applied to use the CASPer system but luckily most of them aren’t really my top choices so I’m not too worried

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Taking a peek on the CASPer website right now, and it seems the list has once again been updated. However, I can't find CASPer information on some of the newer school's websites.

Albany Medical College
Central Michigan University
Drexel University
East Tennessee State University – Quillen
Florida Atlantic University – Charles E. Schmidt
Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Mercer University
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
Rutgers University – RWJ
Texas A&M University
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Temple University – Lewis Katz
Tulane University
University of Colorado Denve
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Vermont
University of Washington School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
West Virginia University

So Dr. Ryan Gray of the premed years podcast just did an interview with the director of admissions at one of the medical schools in IL. They are a Casper school, and she talked about it. She said they do not use it currently as a screening tool, but they have noticed that people who do well on Casper tend to interview better.

She also said that other schools that use Casper who have colleagues of hers use Casper as a way to give someone a chance who may have less than stellar stats.

Finally, she said that the grading of Casper is based on American standards of ethics and writing, and that first gen and foreign test takers do worse than native born Americans or second and beyond generation college students. She got that info from the annual meeting this year.

She said that her school keeps that in mind, but others may not.

So Dr. Ryan Gray of the premed years podcast just did an interview with the director of admissions at one of the medical schools in IL. They are a Casper school, and she talked about it. She said they do not use it currently as a screening tool, but they have noticed that people who do well on Casper tend to interview better.

She also said that other schools that use Casper who have colleagues of hers use Casper as a way to give someone a chance who may have less than stellar stats.

Finally, she said that the grading of Casper is based on American standards of ethics and writing, and that first gen and foreign test takers do worse than native born Americans or second and beyond generation college students. She got that info from the annual meeting this year.

She said that her school keeps that in mind, but others may not.

If it’s not used for screening then why have it? I bet it’s RFUMs or UIC. I got accepted to UIC and rejected my interview at Rosalind but the whole CASPer stuff seemed pointless to me. What is the standard American ethics and writing? I didn’t even get to finish every answer either but just went with the “nicest” option in each scenario.

If it’s not used for screening then why have it? I bet it’s RFUMs or UIC. I got accepted to UIC and rejected my interview at Rosalind but the whole CASPer stuff seemed pointless to me. What is the standard American ethics and writing? I didn’t even get to finish every answer either but just went with the “nicest” option in each scenario.

It’s UIC I think (she says in the interview, I just forget). She said they are going to use it once the first students to take it go through clinical years. So probably in a year or two, since she said their first students to take it are finishing second year. She did say it has no correlation with preclinical years, but she’s expecting it to correlate with clinical performance.

It’s UIC I think (she says in the interview, I just forget). She said they are going to use it once the first students to take it go through clinical years. So probably in a year or two, since she said their first students to take it are finishing second year. She did say it has no correlation with preclinical years, but she’s expecting it to correlate with clinical performance.

So it was a waste of time for us applicants.

Per their website, Tulane encourages the CASPER but does not require it. They accept both non-Casper and Casper applications.

U Washington informed me that they signed up for CASPer this cycle and are intending to add information about it to their website soon. Just FYI

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if one can take the CASPER and sent to the schools prior to AMCAS being processed or receiving a secondary application invite?

So should I just go ahead and take it and send it to any schools I applied to that required it now? Or do I wait for the schools to alert me I need it?? Or wait until secondaries?? Ugh I didn’t even know about this really until just recently

So should I just go ahead and take it and send it to any schools I applied to that required it now? Or do I wait for the schools to alert me I need it?? Or wait until secondaries?? Ugh I didn’t even know about this really until just recently
Take it. My results have already been sent to schools that I haven't listed on my primary yet but will be adding soon.

Take it. My results have already been sent to schools that I haven't listed on my primary yet but will be adding soon.
Thank you for the info! I will go ahead and start preparing /signing up now

****...just realized that a couple of the schools on my school list REQUIRE CASPer (thought it was just optional for them...). Would it be feasible to "prep" tonight and take it tomorrow evening? Obviously its not as bad as the MCAT and the extent of prep work is severely limited but was wondering if it was better to take it tomorrow than to wait till the next test date.

****...just realized that a couple of the schools on my school list REQUIRE CASPer (thought it was just optional for them...). Would it be feasible to "prep" tonight and take it tomorrow evening? Obviously its not as bad as the MCAT and the extent of prep work is severely limited but was wondering if it was better to take it tomorrow than to wait till the next test date.
You don't need to prepare unless you have no life experience with moral situations or don't know how to handle those situations. I went in with 2 hours prep right before the test and felt fine about it. Read the FAQ and do the sample test.

Reactions: 3 users