Cat Toys - Best Colors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor-S

Clinical & Research PhD-MD who is feline fine!
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that cats perceive blue, grey, and yellow toys better than red or green colors (because cats have less cones than humans)?

Which "colors" are best for cats in general?

Members don't see this ad.

I know my sister's cat's two favorite toys are both green. One is a frog and one is a holly leaf (and I think there's also a bit of red in that too).
He could just be the odd one out on this though, which is already true since he's more dog than cat :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
100% anecdotal reply :D

The only toy my Millie kitty will play with is a brown mouse that squeeks when she bats it around. My fosters would play with EVERYTHING: they would steal my brightly colored hair ties, would steal bobby pins, cat toys of every color . . . I haven't noticed any overwhelming similarity between what my different cats prefer to play with. Cali would play with toys that had feathers and anything that dangled (like shoelaces and sweatshirt ties) but ignored everything else.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
100% anecdotal reply :D

The only toy my Millie kitty will play with is a brown mouse that squeeks when she bats it around. My fosters would play with EVERYTHING: they would steal my brightly colored hair ties, would steal bobby pins, cat toys of every color . . . I haven't noticed any overwhelming similarity between what my different cats prefer to play with. Cali would play with toys that had feathers and anything that dangled (like shoelaces and sweatshirt ties) but ignored everything else.

My kitten loves her brown squeaky mouse (and her squeaky bird...and her squeaky elephant...and her squeaky dinosaur) hahaha

My kitten loves her brown squeaky mouse (and her squeaky bird...and her squeaky elephant...and her squeaky dinosaur) hahaha
Isn't it the cutest? :love:

(but also kind of obnoxious and sometimes I hide the squeeky mice because oh my gosh do you HAVE to play with it while I'm sleeping, cat?)

My cat likes noisy toys too! Squeaky brown mouse, squeaky blue and yellow dinosaur, green and yellow cricket that makes cricket sounds, pink crinkly ball... She's 13, so she doesn't play with toys too much anymore, but when she does those are her favorites.

None of my cats seem to care about color so much as texture/movement. They'll all play with a variety of things ranging from a bright red jingly ball to brown feather-bug-wand thing. Last time I visited home, one of them really loved a clear/colorless milk-jug ring I gave him

Isn't it the cutest? :love:

(but also kind of obnoxious and sometimes I hide the squeeky mice because oh my gosh do you HAVE to play with it while I'm sleeping, cat?)

Hahaha sameee. The squeaky ones are by far her favorite!

I think cats are all very individual in their toy choices. Some like movement, some like noise, some prefer certain textures. I think color is probably last on the list of criteria for cats, honestly.

@SkiOtter @PrincessButterCup @mmmdreamerz @LyraGardenia @Devastating @that redhead ... here is my question concerning color perception in cats.

I found a new cat toy on the internet that I want to purchase for my cat. The toy is offered in different colors: blue, green, red, black, orange.

With the exception of these different colors, the toy is identical for everything else (i.e., it is identical in its shape, texture, weight, etc.).

The only thing that is different about the toy is the actual "color" of the toy.

Knowing that a cat has a lower concentration of cones in their eyes, which color do most cats seem to perceive better than other colors?

Blue ... Green ... Red ... Black ... Orange?

[Note: It is my understanding cats perceive blue, grey, and yellow toys better than red or green colors (because cats have less cones than humans).]

Last edited:
@SkiOtter @PrincessButterCup @mmmdreamerz @LyraGardenia @Devastating @that redhead ... here is my question concerning color perception in cats.

I found a new cat toy on the internet that I want to purchase for my cat. The toy is offered in different colors: blue, green, red, black, orange.

With the exception of these different colors, the toy is identical for everything else (i.e., it is identical in its shape, texture, weight, etc.).

The only thing that is different about the toy is the actual "color" of the toy.

Knowing that a cat has a lower concentration of cones in their eyes, which color do most cats seem to perceive better than other colors?

Blue ... Green ... Red ... Black ... Orange?

[Note: It is my understanding cats perceive blue, grey, and yellow toys better than red or green colors (because cats have less cones than humans).]

I don't think we know what colors cats perceive "best". They certainly don't perceive colors as we humans do, but the actual application of any lack of color perception is probably inconsequential. I would say the variation in colors offered is purely from a marketing standpoint for the human eyeballs.

From a DACVO at a CVMA proceeding in 2015: "There is more controversy concerning color vision in the cat. It has been demonstrated that they have three cone types but the number of each color type varies. Behavioral testing, however, does not confirm they are trichromats like man. Some believe their color vision is limited to blue and grays while others believe it is similar to dogs but with less richness of hues and saturation of the colors."

I don't think we know what colors cats perceive "best". They certainly don't perceive colors as we humans do, but the actual application of any lack of color perception is probably inconsequential. I would say the variation in colors offered is purely from a marketing standpoint for the human eyeballs.

From a DACVO at a CVMA proceeding in 2015: "There is more controversy concerning color vision in the cat. It has been demonstrated that they have three cone types but the number of each color type varies. Behavioral testing, however, does not confirm they are trichromats like man. Some believe their color vision is limited to blue and grays while others believe it is similar to dogs but with less richness of hues and saturation of the colors."
Thanks @that redhead.

I'm going to place an order for the blue cat toy and the black cat toy.

Although the toys are intended for my cat, I'll probably play with them more than the cat!

Reactions: 2 users
I remember my kitty used to play with a turquoise band lol.

Reactions: 1 user