Catagorical to Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merlin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so any normal person wouldn't really think about this idea, but what if you were not offered an interview at a place you really really desired to train at and felt willing to even do a prelim year to be there. Would a program ever consider you for a prelim position if they have already rejected you as a catagorical and you didn't originally apply as a prelim? Long question eh? cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Prelims are usually more competitive than categorical because more people are applying to them (derm, rads, ophtho, anesthesia, rad onc). You never know, though!

rugtrousers said:
Prelims are usually more competitive than categorical because more people are applying to them (derm, rads, ophtho, anesthesia, rad onc). You never know, though!

That may be true for prelim medicine spots, but I'm pretty sure prelim surgery spots aren't that difficult to get. Some of them are pretty crappy (you are treated differently than the categoricals and have no hope of actually entering the categorical program), and others are better, but I'm guessing those are harder to get.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question.