1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Catagorical to Prelim

Discussion in 'Internship' started by merlin, Dec 15, 2005.

1. merlin

merlin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay, so any normal person wouldn't really think about this idea, but what if you were not offered an interview at a place you really really desired to train at and felt willing to even do a prelim year to be there. Would a program ever consider you for a prelim position if they have already rejected you as a catagorical and you didn't originally apply as a prelim? Long question eh? cheers.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Prelims are usually more competitive than categorical because more people are applying to them (derm, rads, ophtho, anesthesia, rad onc). You never know, though!

4. robotsonic

robotsonic Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That may be true for prelim medicine spots, but I'm pretty sure prelim surgery spots aren't that difficult to get. Some of them are pretty crappy (you are treated differently than the categoricals and have no hope of actually entering the categorical program), and others are better, but I'm guessing those are harder to get.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question.