Categorical Wash U...Hows the Intern Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Huskie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the intern year is at Wash U? I am trying to decide where to rank the categorical vs the advanced. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty tough. 3 months ICU (MICU, CTICU, SICU), 6 months IM, 2 months surgery. 11 months of call, at least 8 of those q4.

From talking to our PGY-1 residents, it sounds like their year has been quite challenging. It's a lot of work, but I think their experience will pay off. They are working on a lot of the surgical services along with the surgery residents and attendings. They will know how to manage surgical, medical and ICU patients outside of the OR. You'll know how BJC works and the "system" instead of learning it when you come for CA-1. It is definitely not "cushy", and you'll work that year, but I think in the end you would come out a very strong CA-1 resident. It's all about experience and you will DEFINITELY get it if you do the internship year at Barnes.

Hope this helps,
TRG.

Thank you. That helps. I am still debating where that categorical spot is going on my rank list.