anesthesia intern year requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlnn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a question regarding anesthesia intern year requirements, specifically for those who have switched from another specialty to anesthesia. I am currently a PGY-2 in ortho who is applying into and hopefully matching this year. I have applied to several pgy-2 positions as well as one advanced position that has an affiliated prelim year, at my top choice.

When looking over the ACGME intern year requirements, it looks like my ortho intern program fulfills all the requirements except for the month of EM (which we do not do). Will this become as issue for me if I do match into the advanced or PGY-2 position or is this something that can be fulfilled during elective blocks?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I had a question regarding anesthesia intern year requirements, specifically for those who have switched from another specialty to anesthesia. I am currently a PGY-2 in ortho who is applying into and hopefully matching this year. I have applied to several pgy-2 positions as well as one advanced position that has an affiliated prelim year, at my top choice.

When looking over the ACGME intern year requirements, it looks like my ortho intern program fulfills all the requirements except for the month of EM (which we do not do). Will this become as issue for me if I do match into the advanced or PGY-2 position or is this something that can be fulfilled during elective blocks?

Thank you!

The one month each of critical care and EM don't sound very negotiable judging by the ACGME language

Screenshot_20230110_205737_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Would ask the anes PD at your program what they think about making it up.

Also, why you switching from ortho?

Reactions: 1 user
The one month each of critical care and EM don't sound very negotiable judging by the ACGME language

View attachment 364525

Would ask the anes PD at your program what they think about making it up.

Also, why you switching from ortho?
Thanks! I did do a month of SICU intern year but no EM. Switch has been driven mainly by personal/health reasons. I was upfront and honest with programs and it has been received very positively, which has been a relief.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine that if you got into Ortho you have pretty good stats and support from your program will help. I think you just need to talk with the programs and they'll likely work something out.

Learning what that Ancef Pump-o-Gram really means? Well, that's going to be quite the hurdle.

This happened to one of the residents at my program who switched into anesthesia from urology. They ended up doing their EM month as a CA-3 (oof) in place of one of their elective blocks.

I imagine that if you got into Ortho you have pretty good stats and support from your program will help. I think you just need to talk with the programs and they'll likely work something out.

Learning what that Ancef Pump-o-Gram really means? Well, that's going to be quite the hurdle.
Haha can’t wait to learn all about it :)

Reactions: 1 users
This happened to one of the residents at my program who switched into anesthesia from urology. They ended up doing their EM month as a CA-3 (oof) in place of one of their elective blocks.
Awesome thank you for sharing!

Most programs will let you use an elective to do EM month rotation. Worst case of the program is inflexible, they would make you delay graduation one month to do the EM month.