Categorizing DO schools by the amount of movement required during OMS-3 and OMS-4 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can anyone give a relative description as to how much movement DO schools require during the 3rd and 4th years. For example, I know that ATSU-SOMA requires students to complete their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years at one of their 12 locations. So I am assuming that you just stay at that location for 3 years and you won't be required to move around?

LECOM on the other hand has a huge list of affiliated hospitals. Do students have to move around these sites throughout the 3rd and 4th year or does each hospital offer ALL clerkships?

I'm very sorry if this question makes me sound like a noob.

@Goro Would you have any information on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:

^^A little dated but I used it when I applied.

In general, you’ll get assigned a 3rd year spot and move there between second and third year. I’ve read anecdotes of people traveling all over for rotations but I’ve never seen it. I have to drive about 40 minutes one way for one of my rotations and that’s the biggest commute for me. I don’t think any of my schools sites have a significantly longer than that. Some are all at one place.

Most schools have spots in the same town as well. I thought this was good when I was applying but when time to pick a site I knew I definitely wanted to get far away from that place lol.

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to above, many sites change and will continue to change as more new schools start. Example, my school had a spot in Dublin, OH (right outside Columbus) that was known to be good. Then, Ohio U added a small branch up in the middle of the state for their DO school, and we lost it. Sure each school has the core sites that take most of their students every year, but there are definitely more that vary as doctors who are willing to take students move, etc.

One thing that my school does thats interesting has been expanding international rotation sites that can be done as electives. They don't force you to move to China but its available haha it would be crazy if they did

Reactions: 1 user
This is a crapshoot as it’s likely to Change, possibly radically, in your 3 years between applying and rotating