Graduating Early in 3 years instead of 4 and unsure of what I should do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magician7772222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
just finished up 2nd year and realized I’m going to be graduating next spring which would be the end of my 3rd year (started college with AP and DE credits plus took summer classes). For the upcoming year I was planning on taking Physics 2 during fall and Biochem during spring however I just realize that I would also have to take the MCAT during this upcoming year aswell. So im left with two options and im not sure what would be better

Option 1:
I try to self study biochem and study for the mcat during my 3rd and last year then apply at the end of 3rd year and have a gap year during what would have been my senior year while Im waiting for responses from med schools.

Option 2:
I don’t start preparing for the MCAT until after I take biochem, I have a gap year during what would be my senior year and spend that time studying for the MCAT, apply at the end of that year and then have an additional gap year while waiting for replies from medical schools. Im conflicted on what would be a better option. On one hand I’m not sure how good of an idea taking mcat during my 3rd year would be but on the other hand I do not want to have two gap years before even applying my first time. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

just finished up 2nd year and realized I’m going to be graduating next spring which would be the end of my 3rd year (started college with AP and DE credits plus took summer classes). For the upcoming year I was planning on taking Physics 2 during fall and Biochem during spring however I just realize that I would also have to take the MCAT during this upcoming year aswell. So im left with two options and im not sure what would be better

Option 1:
I try to self study biochem and study for the mcat during my 3rd and last year then apply at the end of 3rd year and have a gap year during what would have been my senior year while Im waiting for responses from med schools.

Option 2:
I don’t start preparing for the MCAT until after I take biochem, I have a gap year during what would be my senior year and spend that time studying for the MCAT, apply at the end of that year and then have an additional gap year while waiting for replies from medical schools. Im conflicted on what would be a better option. On one hand I’m not sure how good of an idea taking mcat during my 3rd year would be but on the other hand I do not want to have two gap years before even applying my first time. Advice is greatly appreciated.
Depends on what you prefer honestly. You know youself best and how you retain and the speed that you learn new information. I took biochem at the same time I studied for the MCAT and I felt like it was alright for me. Because I had to learn all the content for the class, I “counted” that as MCAT studying (memorizing amino acids, glycolysis, etc.). If you go this route you can either do MCAT prep the entire spring semester and just learn the biochem part as you go, or increase the study load during the back half of the semester and you’ll have a bit of biochem foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.