Catholic Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it matter if the stance is because of a personal experience or if the stance is a sincerely held religious belief?? This makes no sense - to be fair, as much as it makes no sense for someone to say they'll dispense Plan B to a woman who was raped but not to a woman who participated in consensual sex. And this is my biggest problem with "the right to refuse" - it comes down to WHY you're treating something instead of WHAT you're treating. Do we refuse to treat a type II diabetic because the fat slob did it to himself?? Do we refuse to treat an addict or an alcoholic because they shouldn't be using so much? What about an HIV or AIDS patient? I know a man who contracted AIDS via a blood transfusion.. does he really need to explain that to every health professional he ever encounters?

There are definitely plenty of practice options for someone who doesn't feel comfortable with certain aspects of a job - it involves not taking that job. You can still be a pharmacist without dispensing OCPs or Plan B - just don't work retail, or at the very least, work at a large store where there is a second pharmacist on staff who can fill those scripts. Maybe we should say you have the right to refuse but not to interfere. You don't have to help but you can't hinder. Hand that script off to your partner, no one is gonna care, but it still has to get filled - no one has the right to get in the way of a patient's care.

It matters because of what you said right afterward. Just because I don't think something is right for me doesn't negate nuances in everyones situation. If you don't think birth control is for you, then you don't have to use it. If you don't think having an abortion is for you, then you don't have to have one. I agree with you on the right to refuse but onot interfere. When a person comes into a pharmacy with a script, they should be able to leave with it filled.

Members don't see this ad.

I really believe that when there is a case of moral law contradicting state law, it would be better to go about lobbying to change or challenging a law rather than violating it.
Then you could either open your own pharmacy, or dont become a pharmacist at all

Question for those who would refuse to dispense:

What would you do if a law was passed saying you MUST dispense and you do not have the option of moving? Assume the pharmacy you works for does stock Plan B and contraception. Would you quit your job and find a new career then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for those who would refuse to dispense:

What would you do if a law was passed saying you MUST dispense and you do not have the option of moving? Assume the pharmacy you works for does stock Plan B and contraception. Would you quit your job and find a new career then?

I am suggesting that if before you take up a job, tell your employer your position so he could decide whether to hire you or not.

Also, if you are not the owner, you should abide by the owner's rules. If you are the owner, then you rule.

If you thin you cant dispense it, then drop the pharmacy profession or open your own pharmacy. Simple as that.

As an aspiring pharmacist, you should have known about plan B before you got into this profession. If you don't like providing certain medications, you should open a private pharmacy.
I understand that many people are Christians (I am included), and do not support abortion. However, when you decided to become a pharmacist, you should have been aware that your job is to serve the public, and not to investigate your patients' activities.
If you want to avoid dispensing Plan B, start your own pharmacy business and make sure you don't carry Plan B. I plan on opening mine
I am also a Christian but I recognize one thing. My job in the pharmacy is only to dispense and not to question people's prescriptions if I work in a public pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens. However, if I own a pharmacy, I would deny plan B.
Christian pharmacists must acknowledge that not everybody shares the same beliefs, so I feel it is wrong to impose my religion on someone. There is freedom of religion, freedom of belief system and freedom of speech. To me, this applies in a public pharmacy. In private practice, you can deny plan B if you want.
There are certain things I am going to leave to GOD to judge. Abortions are a personal issue and if you decide to get one and you call yourself a Christian, God would judge you accordingly.
As someone who went out there to serve the public, it is not my job to decide someone's personal decisions. What you can do is to advise your patient why plan B is not appropriate. If she doesn't listen to you, give it to her and do not question her intentions.
There are many reasons for which a woman may take plan B: rape, sex with no protection, control of family size, socioeconomic status, and possible dangers during child birth.
-I don't think it is reasonable to deny giving plan B to someone who has been raped.
-If a woman has 3 kids and doesn't want any more, you can't force her to become the OCTUPLET MOM. You should give her plan B is she wants. There is nothing wrong with that. Contraception, Birth control, and plan B can be used if they are done in the right way for the right reasons.
- A poor person may not be able to sponsor a child.
-Maybe the condom broke during sexual intercourse, and the person is just not ready for a baby.
Let me finalize by saying this again. As a Christian, I don't believe in abortion. I believe that if I get a girl pregnant, she should keep the baby. However, I must also acknowledge that everybody doesn't share the same beliefs. This therefore prevents me from asserting myself into another person's private life. Make sure when you are applying for a position in a pharmacy, Tell your employer your stand so he can decide whether to hire you or not..
Finally, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" Harry Truman

And really all medical treatment. IF God wanted you well, he would have made you that way.

There really is no good reason other than (a) I like to control women, or (b) I bought into the lies of those who want to control women.

You cut out the rest of my quote! I went on to say that I really wouldn't be okay with that, b/c it'd reduce the standard of care. But the fact that certain pharmacists/practitioners don't also refuse to fill these other drugs, it gives support that the argument against Plan B is a way to keep women oppressed in our society.

Just pointing out that I agree with you.

Last edited:
Also sophistry. "hypothetical babies"? Like we are hypothetical corpses? "Hypothetical," "unborn," "children," all that crap. All to falsely give imagery of the 5-year-old bouncing on grandmother's knee. It is a cell, a zygote, perhaps an embryo when talking abortions themselves, and occasionally a fetus. The rest is emotional histrionics designed for misleading. Trickery to divert from the enslaving and controlling fate of the women falling in the clutches of the fundie theocrats.
In your dream. To plagiarize/paraphrase an old pro-choice point, If men could get pregnant, abortion would be sacrosanct.

It IS about misogyny and the fundies dying grasp at trying to control women, a control they lost decades ago and just can't accept. THAT'S why Army-Of-God nuts like Paul Hill murders physicians and Eric Rudolph blew up abortion clinics, a gay bar and the Atlanta Olympics. Right-wing loon theocrats.

As long as you let them run the anti-choice agenda of hate and oppression, there will be nothing gained from your side ever.

There are simple and easy ways to reduce the number of abortions to more like Western Europe, but the anti-choice movement solidly reject these measures, showing that the claim about it being about abortions is a flat-out lie. It has nothing to do with fewer abortions, it has with pregnancy being a tool to oppress and control women.

YOU try to push sex-ed, contraception, financial/educational support of pregnant women, subsidized child care or any of the many measures that are shown effective in reducing the abortion rates, and you see the anti-choice elites having a fit.

Because that contradicts their agenda of a patriarchal theocracy.

So don't give me the silly "its about the bebeeeeez junk. That hypocritical claim has been sunk decades ago.
I don't care if it flies with you. It has been demonstrated through anti-choice actions for many decades.
Well, the unfortunate thing is that your only "proof" is a piece of feminist propaganda that presupposes that abortion would be a "sacrament" if men gave birth. That's not proof. That's just an assumption. You've proven nothing and you are using very sketchy reasoning. At this point, it is YOU who need to show us that it is NOT about oppression of women.

All of this proves nothing about motive. I know, crazy people blow up building. It happens. But why does this automatically mean that refusing to sell Plan B is automatically an act of misogyny rather than an act in the name of the aforementioned "hypothetical fetus"?

I personally know a lot of very religious people. Some of them are afraid that they will be sinning if they take part in what they perceive as an abortion. Men and women. That's just how it is. I know these people, they aren't misogynists, they are just deeply religious. Sure, there are many that hate women as there are many women that hate men, but this entire argument remains ridiculous to me.

Maybe its because I know people representing both sides of the issue and I know they aren't specifically being vicious about it, they just don't want their rights trampled...which I can understand. If you go through life thinking that everyone that doesn't agree with you about certain things are evil, morally vacuous people, the only thing you've accomplished is becoming just as venomous.

The only thing I get from reading your writing is that you really don't care about having a real discussion involving the arrival any sort of compromise or symbiotic agreement where all parties can have a satisfactory outcome. All you really care about is getting into an argument making yourself appear as some sort of intellectual god raising above all others via the argumentative battering of other people. Even though your arguments are as filled with holes as those you argue against. You are just too blinded by your ideology to see it. Just like a religion. No deities...but the same unshakable loyalty to an arbitrary collection of abstract ideals.

And I see you are a physician somewhere...how wonderfully stereotypical...god complex and all...:laugh:

Here is my challenge to you - and this may make you step outside of your shell if you actually tried:

Can you formulate a solution or a few ideas that could satisfy both parties? Use your brain cells for good rather than just screaming at people that disagree with you. What can you think of that allows for access to care AND allows people with differing theological lifestyles to maintain autonomy over their lifestyles?

Last edited:
All of this proves nothing about motive. I know, crazy people blow up building. It happens. But why does this automatically mean that refusing to sell Plan B is automatically an act of misogyny rather than an act in the name of the aforementioned "hypothetical fetus"?

I personally know a lot of very religious people. Some of them are afraid that they will be sinning if they take part in what they perceive as an abortion. Men and women. That's just how it is. I know these people, they aren't misogynists, they are just deeply religious. Sure, there are many that hate women as there are many women that hate men, but this entire argument remains ridiculous to me.

Maybe its because I know people representing both sides of the issue and I know they aren't specifically being vicious about it, they just don't want their rights trampled...which I can understand. If you go through life thinking that everyone that doesn't agree with you about certain things are evil, morally vacuous people, the only thing you've accomplished is becoming just as venomous.

The only thing I get from reading your writing is that you really don't care about having a real discussion involving the arrival any sort of compromise or symbiotic agreement where all parties can have a satisfactory outcome. All you really care about is getting into an argument making yourself appear as some sort of intellectual god raising above all others via the argumentative battering of other people. Even though your arguments are as filled with holes as those you argue against. You are just too blinded by your ideology to see it. Just like a religion. No deities...but the same unshakable loyalty to an arbitrary collection of abstract ideals.

And I see you are a physician somewhere...how wonderfully stereotypical...god complex and all...:laugh:

This may be one of your best posts ever (aside from the slander jabs) - Landing in the middle is the best choice when the multiple sides of the issue are so polarized.

When you lose objectivity - you likely lose any real ability to work a decent solution.

I've got a question for some of you in the know-how [WVU, you may know this]: is it illegal to not hire someone based upon their refusal to sell Plan B? Like..if someone did say they wouldn't dispense and you didn't hire them for that reason, is that discrimination?

Here is my challenge to you - and this may make you step outside of your shell if you actually tried:

Can you formulate a solution or a few ideas that could satisfy both parties? Use your brain cells for good rather than just screaming at people that disagree with you. What can you think of that allows for access to care AND allows people with differing theological lifestyles to maintain autonomy over their lifestyles?

Regnevejr has been making some of the strongest points on this forum. The solution you present, is "let people believe whatever" solution only to pacify both sides of the debate. Personally, I don't think this is a solution. This just sweeps problems under the rug and it will only escalate when issues arise. I think the progression of medicine and culture doesn't occur by avoiding problems, it occurs through change. Granted Regnevejr's ideas are radically progressive, but progressive never-the-less.

slandering both sides of the debate doesn't show neutral stance or present a solution, and it doesn't make you better than a devout evangalist or a radical liberal.

If you know that there are people out there on this forum who are passionate about pro-choice and super feminist, expect people to criticize you when you talk about Somebody getting "the giant cock of injustice rammed up their hind parts."

If you know that there are people out there on this forum who are passionate about pro-choice and super feminist, expect people to criticize you when you talk about Somebody getting "the giant cock of injustice rammed up their hind parts."

Okay, now you're just getting silly. Don't take a colloquialism and turn it into some social justice point.

You cut out the rest of my quote! I went on to say that I really wouldn't be okay with that, b/c it'd reduce the standard of care. But the fact that certain pharmacists/practitioners don't also refuse to fill these other drugs, it gives support that the argument against Plan B is a way to keep women oppressed in our society.

Just pointing out that I agree with you.
I know. I wasn't criticizing, I was emphatically agreeing and expanding:) :love:

All of this proves nothing about motive.
It proves that the ones who control the message, the ones who raise the issue you fall in lock-step behind, their goal is misogynistic oppression of women. Even if you don't get that, by carrying out their will, you also carry out their mission.
I know, crazy people blow up building. It happens. But why does this automatically mean that refusing to sell Plan B is automatically an act of misogyny rather than an act in the name of the aforementioned "hypothetical fetus"?
When you use the nuts' vocabulary and arguments, then you took hook, line and sinker. That means you rapidly become indistinguishable from them.
I personally know a lot of very religious people.
So do I. I am one of them. I am not condemning Christians, I am condemning right-wing fundamentalist theocrats. Big difference.
Some of them are afraid that they will be sinning if they take part in what they perceive as an abortion. Men and women.
And where was it they got that idea??.... Oh, yes. from the ones who control the message.
That's just how it is. I know these people, they aren't misogynists, they are just deeply religious.
I am deeply religious as are many other pro-choice people. So claiming this as defining the situation is bogus.
Sure, there are many that hate women as there are many women that hate men, but this entire argument remains ridiculous to me.
So you never checked the message. very sloppy of you. Check out Phyllis Schlafly.
Maybe its because I know people representing both sides of the issue and I know they aren't specifically being vicious about it, they just don't want their rights trampled...which I can understand.
Sure. But remember your rights stop at the next person's body.
If you go through life thinking that everyone that doesn't agree with you about certain things are evil, morally vacuous people, the only thing you've accomplished is becoming just as venomous.
Sure. Any other irrelevant stuff you got there? Oh, I am sorry, was that more than an attempt at a general truism? Was this some kind of deceptive Ad Hominem directed at me?
The only thing I get from reading your writing is that you really don't care about having a real discussion involving the arrival any sort of compromise or symbiotic agreement where all parties can have a satisfactory outcome.
That compromise has already been established. This was done decades ago. One side wanted no restriction on abortion, the other side wanted full restriction on abortions. The compromise was reducing the need for abortions through reducing unwanted pregnancies.

Unfortunately, since then, the theocratic side reneged on the compromise, objecting to every active prevention tool for unwanted pregnancies as well as any tool that could make the woman more certain that she could handle carrying to term. The compromise was already made and YOUR side then reneged on the compromise. Go check the history of your side, you seem woefully ignorant of the dishonest organizations you support and listen to.
All you really care about is getting into an argument making yourself appear as some sort of intellectual god raising above all others via the argumentative battering of other people.
*YAWN*
Even though your arguments are as filled with holes as those you argue against.
Talk is cheap. What holes?
You are just too blinded by your ideology to see it. Just like a religion.
So what is this psychobabble? You talking to the mirror?
No deities...but the same unshakable loyalty to an arbitrary collection of abstract ideals.
Oh, you mean like the right of people to control their own bodies? Very abstract, isn't it? By golly, people should be forced to give blood or their extra kidney. Your Ad hominem does not hold water.
And you clearly are a fundie...how wonderfully stereotypical...hate mongering, lying misogynist ans all...:laugh:

Yeah, that REALLY was useful, wasn't it!:rolleyes:

Can you formulate a solution or a few ideas that could satisfy both parties?
It has been done already. Reduce unwanted pregnancies with better sex-ed and better/cheaper contraception. Reduce the fear of being able to raise NOT unwanted pregnancies through educational, financial and health-care support. Address future worries by supporting young families and establish financial, educational, respite and employment support as well as maternity/paternity leave for new families.

That was already settled. Now YOU step outside your shell and explain why the pro-life movement reneged on this!!!
Use your brain cells for good rather than just screaming at people that disagree with you.
Don't you get tired of trying to get serious and yet argue through Ad Hominems?
What can you think of that allows for access to care AND allows people with differing theological lifestyles to maintain autonomy over their lifestyles?
First of all implement the above and cut abortions 5 to 10-fold. Then work out something where Plan B does not go past anyone who may have religious qualms about it, put it on the racks next to the Aspirin. Finally, put birth control pills in the OB/GYN's office, and you never will even have to worry about it.

Then you can worry about rejecting Concerta scripts just because you don't agree with ADHD diagnoses (This has happened, and is also an issue in the various morality exclusion clauses), or refuse psychotropic medications when you are a Scientologist.

Okay, so I've thought about it today, and I came up with a solution. Ready? Here goes.

A pharmacist is allowed to refuse to dispense certain medications for religious reasons. However, the pharmacist must state on application that he or she will not dispense those medications, and an employer has the right to refuse to hire based upon that alone. If a pharmacist does not state that upon application, or decides after he or she has been employed to stop dispensing, he or she may be fired at will without receiving unemployment. Companies such as Wag's, CVS, etc will be able to make blanket statements about whether they will or will not hire pharmacists who will not do 100% of the job. If a pharmacist IS hired that refuses to dispense, he or she may not "pick and choose" who to dispense to - it's all or nothing. If there is only one pharmacist on staff and he/she refuses to dispense, it must be clearly posted so as to save people waiting in line and the embarassment of being told no.

Seems like it would work to me?

Okay, so I've thought about it today, and I came up with a solution. Ready? Here goes..... Seems like it would work to me?
Not sure how this would work in Basin, Wyoming?

this thread is getting super old and totally off-topic (i.e. ppl going off about their own beliefs, and telling ppl why their pt of view is wrong)
moderators..send this one to the dungeon.. i think many ppl have answered this OP's question meaningfully.

this thread is getting super old and totally off-topic (i.e. ppl going off about their own beliefs, and telling ppl why their pt of view is wrong)
moderators..send this one to the dungeon.. i think many ppl have answered this OP's question meaningfully.

agreed...its at the point where the same stuff is being repeated over and over again :sleep:.
There's really nothing else to be said.:thumbdown:

Of course not, if it is harmful to the patient in any way, of course not. but what relevance does that question really have????

Everyone agrees that no one should force their beliefs on anyone, and no one should use their positions in pharmacy to force religious beliefs. but at the same time, a persons faith may give them strength to be great at what they do. I see Athletes, Rappers, Rockers, Actors, and even one of the Best neurologist in the nation (Ben Carson) say that they could not be great at what they do without their faith.

You're question about the satanist is pointless. you already know the answer to that.

Why does everyone keep using stories of the "abusive pharmacist/doctor" that won't give treatment because of their beliefs. Are there any real examples of this???

Dreezy10

Why do you assume that a satanist would be causing harm? I believe this question is entirely relevant. If you are of a "major" religion (Judaism, Christianity, etc) people seem to be much more accepting, yet as soon as you mention something outside of that people automatically make ridiculous judgements. Satanism has nothing to do with violence or harm, I have no idea where you got that from other than inaccurate assumptions. (The foundation of Satanism rests on the belief that there is no higher power, that oneself is whom one is resonsible to living for. I've read the Santanic Bible as well as a whole host of other religious texts. Perhaps you should do a little homework before passing judegements.)

To the OP: You are very adamant in your beliefs, which is fine. You do not what people criticizing you, which is also fine. Don't you find it hypocritical to criticize others? I respect your beliefs and your personal choice to believe them. I in tern would expect you to respect mine and everyone else's. You not believe in birth control and that is totally acceptable and you are entitled. You are not, however, entitled to make that decision for others. You yourself can choose not to partake, but when you start refusing others the right to take it you are forcing your beliefs on them. That is wrong and disrespectful. I suggest you take some time and maybe get a job in a phamracy and experience the world a little. You are going to meet some really amazing people who have different ideas from you and you should not be judgeing them for it.

From a health perspective: I was on birth control pills at 11 years old because I had issues with severe menstrual bleeding and ovarian cysts. The pills made my periods managable and stopped me from getting the incredibly painful cysts. Even with your beliefs, could you really deny someone something they need?

Birth control is not going anywhere. You don't have to use it and don't have to condone it. But please, do try to grow up a bit and learn to respect other's rights to their own beliefs and thie own bodies.

I have been working in a pharmacy for about a year. I can say that nearly a third of all of our fills are birth control every day, if not more. If you really can not respect people enough to remove your predjudice perhaps you should consider a career that would not put you in that perdicament. It will save both you and your patients any heartache.

And for the record, Plan B is NOT the abortion pill...

Status
Not open for further replies.