I am one of the ODs that was accused in this case. Let me tell you the facts from my point of view:
After 2 days and a dozen phone calls, I am informed that I am being accused of cheating on the visual portion of the test. (I freely admit that I missed the field. I knew I missed they minute I took it. I was nervous and the "the first words out of your mouth after seeing this field is your answer and you cannot change it" tripped me up. It happens.)
I hire a lawyer ($4,200) and fly down to the Board meeting. After reviewing the facts:
* None of the 6 accused know each or had ever interacted, except for two NOVA students who sat during the exam at the exact same time in two different rooms.
*We all missed the field. And yes the answers we gave were the right answer to other fields in use during the test. But the Boards only use a finite number of fields, so this is bound to happen.
* No actual evidence was ever presented. No cheat sheets. No proctor or observer hearing a conversation between candidates. The only evidence was that some of the proctors had a weird feeling about some of the candidates.
The Board votes 7-0 to give us our licenses.
Now, I do not expect the Board to pay for my lawyer, or compensate me for lost wages. It is all water under the bridge at this point. I have a good job lined up in Tampa. But I do not want these false allegations to haunt me for my entire career. Based on the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude of some of the posters, it seems this could well be the case.
Again, do not be so quick to judge when you are no involved and know only a tiny fraction of the facts
-Nate
--
Nathan Bonilla-Warford, OD
ICO 2004
CV at:
http://www.bonillawarford.net/cv.html