Cayman Island Iguana Killing- Environmental Terrorism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wtf? I don't get it...was there some kind of reason at all for this, or did someone just decide it would be fun to kill endangered iguanas? Not that having a reason makes it any better, but maybe there's some issue that we're unaware of.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so :(heartbreaking and SUCH a waste. I just hate people that do things like this.

That is really, really depressing. :cry: People can be so terrible.

I'm going to Grand Cayman with the program Marvet at the end of July, and we're supposed to make a site visit to the Blue Iguana Habitat and have a lecture related to their conservation.

This has pretty much been the worst news that I have heard since being a vet student here in Grand Cayman. Apparently one of the iguanas that was killed had 11 eggs in her. People here have worked so hard to protect them and 1/3 of the breeding population was destroyed in one night. But there are fundraisers all around the island so hopefully that will make a difference.

However, I don't think that Marvet will be affected. I'm sure you will still be able to see them.

There seems to be a high degree of tension between the people who want to continue to develop Grand Cayman and the ones who want to protect the environmental interests of the island. With the blue iguana being so rare (they aren't even found on the other two islands which are only 90 miles away), I don't understand why a high security ENCLOSED exhibit has not been created for them.

I love Grand Cayman, but something is very wrong here.