CBSE Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDSlacker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school just had us take the CBSE this past saturday as a practice test. I have been searching online to try and find the answers to the questions but I haven't been able to locate anything. Is there some place or a past forum where these are located or are these not available. There were a few questions where I wasn't sure exactly what they were going for and would like to see they were trying to go with the answer.

One of the questions that is still bugging me was about a teenage boy who comes in with a fever of 103 and a sore throat. Physical exam showed exudative discharge on the tonsils and swollen lymph nodes. Then they asked what the laboratory studies would show and they basically had every combination of catalase pos/neg and hemolysis alpha/beta/gamma. I know the initial though is Group A Strep but isn't adenovirus a more common cause of strep throat, so I wasn't sure what to put. I ended up putting group A Strep characteristics but I would be interested to see what they were looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

My school just had us take the CBSE this past saturday as a practice test. I have been searching online to try and find the answers to the questions but I haven't been able to locate anything. Is there some place or a past forum where these are located or are these not available. There were a few questions where I wasn't sure exactly what they were going for and would like to see they were trying to go with the answer.

One of the questions that is still bugging me was about a teenage boy who comes in with a fever of 103 and a sore throat. Physical exam showed exudative discharge on the tonsils and swollen lymph nodes. Then they asked what the laboratory studies would show and they basically had every combination of catalase pos/neg and hemolysis alpha/beta/gamma. I know the initial though is Group A Strep but isn't adenovirus a more common cause of strep throat, so I wasn't sure what to put. I ended up putting group A Strep characteristics but I would be interested to see what they were looking for.

given that information, diptheria might also have been a possible choice, right?

exudate w/ lymphadenopathy?

I am assuming that they were going for the most likely cause (don't remember if this was specifically stated in the question) but from what I remember GAS is the most common bacterial cause and adenovirus is the most common viral cause.

"Viral tonsillitis was most common in children younger than 3 years of age and group A beta-hemolytic streptococci tonsillitis in children 6 years of age or more"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3601520

Members don't see this ad :)

LAD + high fever + exudate + sore throat + no cough + patient's age gives you a Centor score where Strep. pyogenes has a higher pretest likelihood than a viral infection. In real life you'd treat him empirically with penicillin antibiotics regardless of the rapid strep results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centor_criteria
A bit more third year material, but that's definitely been a trend on Step 1 to increase Step 2 CK-like material. Yeah, you're right. Most pharyngitis is viral. But they're giving you every reason to suspect bacterial. Now if the prompt started with a viral prodrome (rhinorrhea, cough; don't even need myalgia/arthralgia) that progressed to sore throat I'd lean toward viral.

Alright thanks for the clarification guys. Glad I stuck with my gut and went with GAS. Anyone know if the entire exam/answers are available somewhere online to review?

Alright thanks for the clarification guys. Glad I stuck with my gut and went with GAS. Anyone know if the entire exam/answers are available somewhere online to review?

I think the CBSEs can only be administered by medical schools (not purchasable by students), so I doubt there's an answer key or questions floating around unless someone randomly remembers a few of them. There are more than enough practice NBMEs floating around though.

I think the CBSEs can only be administered by medical schools (not purchasable by students), so I doubt there's an answer key or questions floating around unless someone randomly remembers a few of them. There are more than enough practice NBMEs floating around though.

What is the difference between these tests? I made a topic that didn't get many responses http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1007193 but maybe you guys can help. I thought the CBSE was the same as NBME... is it not?

<_< And while here, could either of you probably add a bit more to my topic/question. I'm still trying to work out a good practice test plan in the coming weeks.

What is the difference between these tests? I made a topic that didn't get many responses http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1007193 but maybe you guys can help. I thought the CBSE was the same as NBME... is it not?

<_< And while here, could either of you probably add a bit more to my topic/question. I'm still trying to work out a good practice test plan in the coming weeks.

The CBSE is the same format as the NBME practice exams (4 blocks of 50 questions), but they just have different questions. All of the practice NBMEs (called CBSSA on the actual NBME website) have questions that are totally different than any of the CBSEs, so when you buy one, you know you aren't repeating any questions. There are forms 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, and 15 available for purchase on the NBME website, and form 5 is the only one without extended feedback (shows you the questions you got wrong and your wrong answers at the end).

The way I planned out my practice tests worked out for me. I did one every weekend and tracked my progress. I studied between the NBMEs and took them at the end of every week to gauge my progress. Generally, the more questions you do the better (not necessarily more NBMEs though). If it's within your budget or time, you should do a few just to know your baseline or track your progress coming up to the real exam.

The CBSE is the same format as the NBME practice exams (4 blocks of 50 questions), but they just have different questions. All of the practice NBMEs (called CBSSA on the actual NBME website) have questions that are totally different than any of the CBSEs, so when you buy one, you know you aren't repeating any questions. There are forms 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, and 15 available for purchase on the NBME website, and form 5 is the only one without extended feedback (shows you the questions you got wrong and your wrong answers at the end).

The way I planned out my practice tests worked out for me. I did one every weekend and tracked my progress. I studied between the NBMEs and took them at the end of every week to gauge my progress. Generally, the more questions you do the better (not necessarily more NBMEs though). If it's within your budget or time, you should do a few just to know your baseline or track your progress coming up to the real exam.

They are exactly the same, but our school's CBSE had four blocks of 46 questions rather than the 50 you find in the CBSSA's. Not a big deal though, I don't know why there needs to be a difference haha.

They are exactly the same, but our school's CBSE had four blocks of 46 questions rather than the 50 you find in the CBSSA's. Not a big deal though, I don't know why there needs to be a difference haha.

Was it 46? I couldn't remember haha. And hey man, that's 16 less questions you have to do...

Sorry don't mean to derail, but besides the NBMEs and CBSEs... what else is there? I don't know what the UWSA's are. :(

Those are the USMLE World self assessments. You can buy those in addition to the qbank itself. It's the exact same format as Qbank questions, except that they give you a structured, 4, 46 question blocks, then estimate a score for you at the end. The plus side is you get those nice explanations for all the questions after you are done, the negative side is I still feel like NBME's are better predictors. I still think they are worth the money thought :)

Those are the USMLE World self assessments. You can buy those in addition to the qbank itself. It's the exact same format as Qbank questions, except that they give you a structured, 4, 46 question blocks, then estimate a score for you at the end. The plus side is you get those nice explanations for all the questions after you are done, the negative side is I still feel like NBME's are better predictors. I still think they are worth the money thought :)

oh LOL thanks... I have those, it just didn't click that UW = UWorld -____-

I took a CSBE in school a few weeks ago. I'll use that as my baseline and then spread the others out over the coming weeks. I appreciate it!