CBSE Study During Second Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cubelife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a second-year dental student with a strong interest in OS. I've acquired all of the recommended study materials and have a general idea of how I want to navigate through them. My biggest question is for those who went to ranked schools- how did you manage to study for the CBSE while also performing well in school? I know that the simplest answer is to say "just do it", but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to manage their time between studying for exams and the CBSE?

The second year at my school is arguably the worst as we are constantly slammed with exams and are preparing to transition to clinic. I know that it would be smart to wait until third year to study and take it, but I want to give myself plenty of time for a retake. Additionally, it seems like a lot of programs require you to have a score in order to extern. I'll appreciate any feedback or input!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people either wake up extra early or stay up extra late, depending on whether you’re a morning person or a night person. You carve out whatever time you can. Schedule is always unpredictable. There is no better advice than “just get it done”

Reactions: 1 user
You just fit in study time whenever you can, whether that's on lunch breaks or on your commute to school. I used to bust out my anki reviews whenever I wasn't doing anything. Just pull out your phone and start chugging away. It's a grind for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose certain days in the week to wake up extra early to get through 40 questions on Uworld (which can take a while if you go through them well) and other days I studied at night depending on my schedule. I utilized weekends a lot to get quite a bit done too.

The schools that have summer breaks and no mandatory attendance get a huge advantage

You do not need a CBSE score to extern at most programs.
Just study and do the best you can!
My main recommendation is to keep # resources using to minimum - you won't have enough time to go through more than 2-3 resources.

Last edited:
I am a current D2 who is on the CBSE grind too. I totally agree with you that the time commitment of D2 is worse than D1. I am trying to incorporate anki into my studying. At a minimum, finishing my reviews and new cards for the day makes me feel like I am getting closer to a good score even if I am not able to fit in anything else. Of course, whenever the opportunity arises I try to also do some dedicated study. Staying awake after my dental school obligations can be a challenge tho lol.

Does anyone want to make a CBSE study group?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a D1 who thinks they wanna do OS... I think im gonna start studying soon for CBSE and seems like this confirms it.

I'm a D1 who thinks they wanna do OS... I think im gonna start studying soon for CBSE and seems like this confirms it.

Its only October, so I would suggest you should make sure you have your classes under control before you try studying for the CBSE. Once you're confident you can keep your grades high, then definitely go for it! I started studying late December of D1 because I was able to make strong grades first semester. Even now I feel I have lot to learn for the CBSE, so D1 is not too early.

Reactions: 1 user
what resources are you guys using? as far as anki what decks? I haven't found a solid one to download yet. Thanks

I went to a school with somewhat mandatory attendance, is pass fail, and 2 weeks of summer break. I studied & did Anki 4 hours on weekdays, 12 hours on weekends. Scored high 80s. Like a poster above said. Just get it done, you either want it bad enough or you don’t.

Reactions: 2 users