CBT for anxiety/panic manual?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peony

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for recommendations for a good CBT book that specifically focuses on anxiety and/or panic attacks. I already have the Mind Over Mood book which I’m using with some patients with depression, but I’d like something a little bit more focused on anxiety that I could use as a session guide or as bibliotherapy for certain patients. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Check out these self-help books recommended by the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies:
ABCT | Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies | Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

There are also treatment manuals for interventions, such as exposure-based behavioral therapy for panic disorder, that are intended to be a reference for clinicians. These are usually developed for research purposes but can be useful in clinical settings also. There are too many to list for anxiety disorders. In general, I like the Treatments That Work series though some are better than others. You can also email researchers to obtain their treatment manuals used in clinical trials (I've had good luck with this in the past). I suggest that you consult your psychotherapy supervisor for specific recommendations and guidance on how best to use a treatment manual.

I really like the Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorder, as the name says it's transdiagnostic but Barlow has some research suggesting it works as well as anxiety specific manuals for anxiety. It makes sense for panic disorders too although I haven't used it for that myself. The other benefit is with the comorbidity of anxiety/depression being so high it makes it easy to target both at the same time.

About The Unified Protocol | Unified Protocol Institute- Expert CBT Training

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're fairly new to the area, the Treatments that Work series have a decent set of books (provider and patient) for a treatment protocol. Panic (uncomplicated, anyway) is a good one for students/trainees to treat at some point in their early therapy years, very good success rates, and a fairly straightforward approach. Definitely one where you can clearly show the principles of the therapy within session.

If you are open to not "straight" CBT, the Worry Less, Live More acceptance-based treatment for anxiety is AWESOME. I love that book and pretty much anything Roemer & Orsillo have written.

Reactions: 1 user
For an ACT CBT approach, I really like the Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety (Eifert & Forsyth). You can talk/work through parts of it with clients and/or give them homework to read parts or do exercises in it on a weekly basis.