CC damage opinions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Selso2109

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for some info from people who may have experience with my situation. I’ve been hearing a lot of negativity about prerequisites that have been completed at community college. I am planning on applying this may and I have been nervous on the effect that my status may have on my chances.

Prereqs taken at community college:

Calculus A
Biology I A
Biology II A
Gen Chem I A
Gen Chem II A

Prereqs taken at Rutgers University:

Organic Chemistry I: C+
Organic Chemistry II:A
General Physics I: A

Obviously, that C+ is ugly but I hope that I have rectified that with the A in the more difficult Orgo 2. I can explain the C+ in the interview.

My cumulative GPA from both schools is a 3.78 with a 3.74 in science.

EC: 50 hours dental shadowing-50 hours MD shadowing- 2 Years US Army military intelligence corps, 1 year served overseas in Korea.

I'm taking the DAT this summer.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

The real question is...are you willing to take those classes over at a university? Obviously, the answer is no. So just apply this year and hope for the best, because no matter what we say, the fact is that we cannot read the admissions committees' minds. Just keep pulling those university A's on your future bio courses, or else those CC A's will actually look insignificant (i.e. the c.c. was too easy).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at cc for almost 3 years. I took bio series, chem series, ochem series and others and then put in a year and a half at a 4 year school and got in first try so don't sweat the cc curse thing. I also have a 3.26 overall GPA/ 3.15 sci gpa! It must be my winning personality:laugh:

I agree-if you don't plan to retake the classes then don't worry about it. However, you should check the websites for where you are applying and even possibly contact the admissions office to see if the school has limits on cc coursework. Some do, some don't. This could save you $$ and some frustration.

ur stats and experiences seem to reflect your tough character, and your interest in health...

im a rutgers grad...if u want easier classes that still say rutgers on the transcript take a ride up the turnpike to newark and take upper level bio courses...
i was in newark for my undergrad...got decent grades, got accepted to multiple schools

btw i also took CC classes did arite and i still made it to d-school

I did 3 years of undergrad total (2 years in a community college and the last year at a state university). GPA at comm. college (all the basic sciences): 3.80 and GPA at university: 3.84 (w/a 4.0 on all upper level classes (except a B in Biochem)-- also got a C in OChem 2, so don't worry too much... just make it up on your DAT)) My DATs were average (20 total Sci and 19 AA)
Also have a lot of volunteer hours. Don't worry too much... Applied in Dec to 6 schools, interviewed at 2, accepted at 2 and declined the last 3 interviews, rejected at 1. Get the best grades that you can and the community college won't hurt you (I think I've proven that with my mediocre DAT scores also!!) :) Peace.