CC Dual Enrollment High School Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I understand that CC courses taken during high school must be reported to AMCAS and I know that AMCAS lists these courses as HS GPA along with GPA for each year of undergrad. My question is: do the CC courses taken during high school factor into the cumulative undergraduate GPA calculation? That is, are HS GPA, Freshman GPA, Sophomore GPA, Junior GPA, and Senior GPA weighted and averaged or are only the latter four averaged for cumulative undergrad?

I'm curious because it seems like including those courses would tend to pad the GPAs of people who did have dual enrollment in high school.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I understand that CC courses taken during high school must be reported to AMCAS and I know that AMCAS lists these courses as HS GPA along with GPA for each year of undergrad. My question is: do the CC courses taken during high school factor into the cumulative undergraduate GPA calculation? That is, are HS GPA, Freshman GPA, Sophomore GPA, Junior GPA, and Senior GPA weighted and averaged or are only the latter four averaged for cumulative undergrad?

I'm curious because it seems like including those courses would tend to pad the GPAs of people who did have dual enrollment in high school.

Thanks a lot!
Could help them, yes. It could also hurt them though.

Yes, it does factor into your cumulative AMCAS GPA. And yes, that does tend to pad the GPAs of people who had dual enrollment in high school, but there are a bunch of other ways to pad one's GPA if a person really wants to do that (take easy summer courses at a community college, use free electives to take the easiest courses your college offers, etc.) I don't really know if this is true, but I'm guessing that if dual enrollment courses are really inflating an applicant's GPA that much, the adcoms will realize that the primary reason for the high GPA is dual enrollment courses taken in high school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess dual enrollment shouldn't/couldn't inflate GPA all that much since very few people would have more than a year's (full-time) worth. But I guess it gives schools greater leeway because when they publish the average GPA of the incoming class, they can use the inflated GPA.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot!

Absolutely. I have one CC class myself and it adds to my GPA by 0.01 lol