CC malpractice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard various answers on this one, but is malpractice high for the CC folks? Some say yes, some say no.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard various answers on this one, but is malpractice high for the CC folks? Some say yes, some say no.

Since you are an employee in most cases at academic medical centers, the malpractice is included in your employment package - ie, it does not come out of your salary.

However, the private practice model is different. I am aware of some private practice CC groups which cover a few community hospitals; since they are not employees of the hospitals, but rather consultants who bill for their time, they would presumably be responsible for their med mal. I've not heard them complain about the cost...not that that means it isn't high (and I"m talking about Pennsylania where malpractice is high for everyone). Would be interested in hearing from others in the community who might have first hand knowledge.

I took a position at a community hospital IM-Crit Care. There were two options when I took the position. Option 1: Hospital employee. I get an hourly rate for being present in the ICU and a different rate for home call. Billing based on RVU's taken care of by hospital at contracted yearly rate with hospital (varies some year to year). Significant benefits including malpractice insurance with tail paid by employer (no idea what the cost is). Option 2: Non-hospital employee. I am paid same hourly rate for being in the ICU and different rate for being on call. I am responsible for billing/collection, malpractice insurance etc. I chose option 1 and my malpractice insurance is paid. Billing and collection are taken care of by the hospital. I have a separate umbrella liability (nominal cost) that I pay yearly.