Anesth cc schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushirrit0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Started accm fellowship a few weeks ago now (how the time flies). My schedule in the unit is lighter than I imagined it would be. I dont wanna be the weirdo worried about not working enough, but im wondering what others peoples experiences were. For reference I have been doing a week of days, a week of nights, and a few days as the backup person to do consults etc, academic days sprinkled in here there. I just sort of envisioned only having 4 days off a month / something more brutal?

Members don't see this ad.

Read/do procedures/work on an academic project of your choice/enjoy life outside of the hospital. Every fellowship is structured differently when it comes to workload, days off, etc.

Last edited:
Was this the schedule presented when you interviewed? There are certainly brutal programs out there, that only manage "one day of in seven" if you squint really hard, and pretend signout take 0.0 seconds (as in, finish a block of nights 0700 Monday morning, start back on a block of days 0700 Tuesday morning). There are also super chill, M-F only, no call fellowships. Where your program falls on that spectrum should have been apparent when you interviewed, unless they changed structure in the intervening year and a half.

Regardless, you are there now, so make the best of your single year of training. With relatively abundant academic days, really focus on your patients and team while you're in the unit, rather than punch out early to work on an academic project. On your protected days, really throw yourself into your project and/or studying. Make each day count, as you have one year to get all the experience that you can, with someone else around to help/guide you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a very chill M-F fellowship with something like every three weekends. You have to be self driven. My echo skills aren’t that strong because I was lazy but otherwise everything else I felt competent in. Do lots of reading on your own and motivating yourself. Can’t be a deadbeat, however you wouldn’t have gotten this far if you were.

Read/do procedures/work on an academic project of your choice/enjoy life outside of the hospital. Every fellowship is structured differently when it comes to workload, days off, etc.
Was this the schedule presented when you interviewed? There are certainly brutal programs out there, that only manage "one day of in seven" if you squint really hard, and pretend signout take 0.0 seconds (as in, finish a block of nights 0700 Monday morning, start back on a block of days 0700 Tuesday morning). There are also super chill, M-F only, no call fellowships. Where your program falls on that spectrum should have been apparent when you interviewed, unless they changed structure in the intervening year and a half.

Regardless, you are there now, so make the best of your single year of training. With relatively abundant academic days, really focus on your patients and team while you're in the unit, rather than punch out early to work on an academic project. On your protected days, really throw yourself into your project and/or studying. Make each day count, as you have one year to get all the experience that you can, with someone else around to help/guide you.
They did go over the schedule.. but they didn’t go in depth is what I realized after starting. For example, on interview day they told us average of 55-60 hours, week of days, week of nights and triage fellow. I expected to be in each role for for several shifts in a row, not just triage fellow twice in a week if that makes sense. I’ve never had that kind of schedule so didn’t even think to ask if each role was for the whole week. So it just ends up being a lot more days off than I expected.

I honestly came in expecting the schedule was going to be fairly brutal coming off of CA3 year. So I hope it’s ok and that I learn enough, and remain motivated to do a lot of self study as well. Thank you for your input.

Reactions: 1 users