CC not offering veteran benefits if not degree seeking. Advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBeauford

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been lurking this site for a while, and really haven't contributed, but I guess I myself could use a little help. I'm 27, and will be out of the army after serving as a combat medic. Prior to joining, my life's goal was to become a pharmacist, after having worked in a Walgreens pharmacy 3 years as a tech. Long story short, I failed my goal with my substandard GPA, however got into a BSN program. Still didn't have my head on straight, I was put on academic probation for 1 year from the program. At this point, I joined the services. During this time, I went a took a few classes(Chem II, AP II) and aced both with my new priorities on straight, and having being married.

With my introduction out of the way, I am running into a bit of a snafu. I plan on applying to the University of Kansas School of Pharmacy when I return. However, I still have around 30+ credits to to take, and had planned on taking them at the community college where we will be living(Johnson County Community College). Upon applying, I learn I cannot use my veterans benefits there without seeking a degree from there. I found a degree that was similar, but was still bloated with classes that I don't need/want. Has anyone found a workaround to this problem, or do I have to suck it up and drive to KU 30 miles for my classes. Any answer is much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not too familiar with veterans benefits, so I can't really say. Hopefully someone with experience with that can chime on it for you. However, you stated that you worked as a technician for 3 years, so I suggest you look around for companies that offer tuition reimbursement for their employees. Because I work full-time, my company paid for almost all of my tuition, books, etc... Good luck, and thank you for your service! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't plan on using much of my alloted money (<10,000). I just wanted somewhere closer and cheaper.

Does your CC offer a pre-pharmacy major? That's what I did, and it satisfied the GI bill requirements. I didn't have to follow a set time frame requirement, I just took the courses I needed.

Anything outside of the degree plan, you would have to cover yourself if I remember correctly.

I'm an Army Veteran and have been taking pre-pharmacy courses for the last 2.5 years. My school also required that I be degree seeking to use my benefits. I declared a Biology major and have taken most of the required courses. I'm in no way planning on finishing my B.S. in Bio, but they don't really hold you to it anyways. It is good to have a degree when applying, but I already had one pre-military. I still have ~24 months of benefits and will use it when I declare a new major (Doctor of Pharmacy). Of course, I need to get accepted first:) Just realize that you may have to pay for odd classes such as political science, public speaking, or any other random things required by school that you are looking at applying to for the PharmD. Good luck.

Is there a reason you can't declare a degree, and then take the classes you want and ignore the degree.

Is there a reason you can't declare a degree, and then take the classes you want and ignore the degree.

+1

There isn't any sort of punishment if you don't receive said degree; I tutored a student previously who pursued that plan without any problems.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will pursue a general sciences A.S.