CC or 4-Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is just a continuation of the discussion that started blooming in the "Ask Admissions". In an attempt to not hijack that thread, I've moved the debate here.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to insert my thoughts here again as I posted them into the other forum before this thread was made:

I have heard that one reason for preference for 4-year university student versus a cc student is the ability to handle upper-division coursework. This provides additional information to the adcoms to see how students can handle a more intense level of coursework than just solely looking at the prereqs. With cc students, the adcoms are making decisions only based on the prereqs and there is no indication of how they would handle more advanced coursework. Still, getting a 3.7+ at a cc is not an easy task and hard work + perseverance will be recognized when adcoms review applications.

Of course, the efficacy of CCs varies widely state to state, but I'd hazard to say that organic chemistry, physics, calculus and microbiology, anatomy, and physiology are not easy no matter where you take them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was advised to avoid CC at all costs--I was told that it would be looked down upon by professional schools (by the schools themselves). Therefore, I am enrolled at a 4 year institution for my pre-pharm coursework.

P.S. If you can take your pre-pharm at a CC and still get in, more power to you...but most schools still seem to frown upon the CC route. They tend to think of it as "easy" and not "challenging."

I took all my prereqs at a CC. Applied to one school, got accepted to one school... but keep in mind, anyone can have a 4.0. It's those w/ a 4.0 AND a lot of EC activities that tend to stand out.

I was advised to avoid CC at all costs--I was told that it would be looked down upon by professional schools (by the schools themselves). Therefore, I am enrolled at a 4 year institution for my pre-pharm coursework.

P.S. If you can take your pre-pharm at a CC and still get in, more power to you...but most schools still seem to frown upon the CC route. They tend to think of it as "easy" and not "challenging."

I was rejected this year, and a large reason for it, i was told, was because i did all of my classes at a CC.

I don't buy that generalization for a second, and I think it sucks that any adcom would. My General Chemistry class at ECC took the ACS standardized final, as did UB. Our average blew theirs out of the water, without any curve. My Organic Chemistry professor teaches the course at both ECC and at UB. Again, sans curve, our average on tests blows theirs out of the water. And it's not even freakin' close. On every test so far, our average, pre-curve, has been at least 30-40 points higher.

I have also heard that schools look down on students at community colleges, but given that set of data, it seems odd to me that adcoms would think that community college somehow lowers the bar. These are the exact same tests, so throw the "CC tests are easier" hypothesis out the window. These are pre-curve grades, so throw the "less competition on the curve" hypothesis out as well. And, obviously, it's the same material, taught from the same book, by the same professor, so the "weaker curriculum" reason is gone as well.

Maybe my community college is the exception, but from being there, I can tell you that the students aiming for pharmacy aren't there to screw around and backdoor the system. They work hard, and they succeed because they're in an environment conducive to their success. Yes, there are CC students who are merely rejects from a 4-year school, but honestly, most of them are business, liberal arts, english, or some sort of "soft science" major. How many of those people would last long enough in pre-pharm coursework to get close to even sniffing the air at a pharmacy school anyway? Don't underestimate the power of Gen. Chem. to weed out students.

I don't buy that generalization for a second, and I think it sucks that any adcom would. My General Chemistry class at ECC took the ACS standardized final, as did UB. Our average blew theirs out of the water, without any curve. My Organic Chemistry professor teaches the course at both ECC and at UB. Again, sans curve, our average on tests blows theirs out of the water. And it's not even freakin' close. On every test so far, our average, pre-curve, has been at least 30-40 points higher.

I have also heard that schools look down on students at community colleges, but given that set of data, it seems odd to me that adcoms would think that community college somehow lowers the bar. These are the exact same tests, so throw the "CC tests are easier" hypothesis out the window. These are pre-curve grades, so throw the "less competition on the curve" hypothesis out as well. And, obviously, it's the same material, taught from the same book, by the same professor, so the "weaker curriculum" reason is gone as well.

Maybe my community college is the exception, but from being there, I can tell you that the students aiming for pharmacy aren't there to screw around and backdoor the system. They work hard, and they succeed because they're in an environment conducive to their success. Yes, there are CC students who are merely rejects from a 4-year school, but honestly, most of them are business, liberal arts, english, or some sort of "soft science" major. How many of those people would last long enough in pre-pharm coursework to get close to even sniffing the air at a pharmacy school anyway? Don't underestimate the power of Gen. Chem. to weed out students.

Second that!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup::clap:

I went to a CC to complete most of my pre-req and then transfer to a 4-year univeristy to finish my BS. The students in my CC also worked very hard. As long as you do well in your classes, who cares where you go to :D

It is important to remember that the schools generally look for students as "a whole" not just where the pre-reqs were completed or what grades you earned (but high grades of course are preferred). The gpa combined with experience, leadership roles, and EC activities will make your application eye catching no matter where you take your pre-reqs.
Consider a student from a 4 year with little EC and an ok GPA, as opposed to a student with the same GPA but with much more community service/leadership roles. Take your pick. And then of course there is the PCAT. Ultimately you will be taking the same pre-reqs at a CC or a 4 year, if you are determined to make good grades it will happen at either school, not because "it is easier at a CC."
The 4 year university is great because once the AA is completed you can begin upper level science courses that are not offered at CC, this may also help with the PCAT, but often they are not required for entrance into Pharmacy school.

Direct ANY and ALL questions of 4yr vs CC to a 'search'. While it will always be a relevant concern - This particular question has been debated for so incredibly long.

Short answer - Maybe - How do you know for sure? Contact the particular school in question.

When will the question stop??? but I digress. :smack: