CC or Post-Bacc ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nojuhyun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Florida residents with U.S permanent resident.
I already have a bachelor degree(not related science) at foreign country. I want to be a dentist.
I don't need another second bachelor degree. I just need
pre-requisites for dentistry school like NOva or Loma Linda.
so I consult with UCF admission advisor, and they said, i better take post baccalaureate program in UCF.
I've never heard about post-bacc program.
maybe student who already have thier bachelor degree want to get more good GPA. right?

my conflict is
English is not my first lauguage.
i'm not sure i can get a good GPA in post-bacc.

what do you think if i just go to CC and transfer to UCF undergrad?

1. Post-Bacc in UCF ?
2. CC and Transfer to UCF ?

what's the pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

I already have a bachelor degree(not related science) at foreign country. I want to be a dentist.
so I consult with UCF admission advisor, and they said, i better take post baccalaureate program in UCF. I've never heard about post-bacc program.
maybe student who already have thier bachelor degree want to get more good GPA. right? my conflict is English is not my first lauguage.
i'm not sure i can get a good GPA in post-bacc. what do you think if i just go to CC and transfer to UCF undergrad?
1. Post-Bacc in UCF ?

It is not so much a question whether or not you need/don't need a second bachelor's degree; it is more a question of what will it take if you really aspire to pursue dentistry in the US. You might want to db check with your adviser since a post bac is not designed to give you the pre requisites you will need to gain acceptance to any dental school in this country. Moreover, ds will require that you have your pre recs/degree from a US institution. Your English may be a hindrance wherever you may happen to go to school.

I am Florida residents with U.S permanent resident.
so I consult with UCF admission advisor, and they said, i better take post baccalaureate program in UCF.
I've never heard about post-bacc program.
maybe student who already have thier bachelor degree want to get more good GPA. right?

my conflict is
English is not my first lauguage.
i'm not sure i can get a good GPA in post-bacc.

what do you think if i just go to CC and transfer to UCF undergrad?

1. Post-Bacc in UCF ?

what's the pros and cons?
I don't know how much dental schools care about B.S. from diff country.
I think you need another B.S. with high gpa to prove yourself.
English is very important. That's why DAT test your RC skill.

If I were you, I would go to 4 year institution, take another B.S. degree in science, get high GPA and DAT with good amount of extracurricular.

post-bacc are just upper level science classes and people usually take these to increase GPA, it's never meant for prerequisites.
CC is not recommended since everyone can get 4.0GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
i want to go to 4 year college, too.
but i have to take SAT.
I graduated high school 17 years ago in foreign country.
i don't think i can do SAT right now.

and UCF staff tell me I better take Post-Bacc program even if i explained all about my situation.
I can't understand.

what's wrong with my life?
I just need pre-requisite credit for dentistry school.

is the only way that i have to go to the Community College with Excellent DAT score ?

If I were you, I would do CC classes then UCF undergraduate classes because it is significantly cheaper and fulfills the same purpose in my opinion.

Here's what you should do:
--Take 60 credits at a CC in Florida.
--Take a few pre-requisites at the CC level. I took Biology I and II, General Chemistry I and II, Physics I and II at a community college. I got into Nova with CC pre-reqs.
--Florida Universities require about 60 undergraduate credits for students without the SAT test.
--Do well in these Community college courses and this will give you time to improve your English (if you need it, not saying you do).
--Transfer to UCF and take Biochemistry, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, and any OTHER pre-requisites that the dental school requires.

You MAY or MAY NOT need a second Bachelors (FROM USA), I am not sure how this works for dental schools.

My plan seems good as long as you need the pre-requisites like Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry. If you don't need these classes, then you should do POST-BACC.

Hope that helps.

This is only an opinion, please do not take my advice without talking with a professional advisor.

I graduated high school 17 years ago in foreign country.i don't think i can do SAT right now.
and UCF staff tell me I better take Post-Bacc program even if i explained all about my situation. I can't understand. what's wrong with my life?
I just need pre-requisite credit for dentistry school.

If you are worried about taking the SAT you may wish to consider alternatives because your road ahead is not going to be just smooth sailing. There may be nothing wrong with your life but the attitude may be a different matter.

If you are worried about taking the SAT you may wish to consider alternatives because your road ahead is not going to be just smooth sailing. There may be nothing wrong with your life but the attitude may be a different matter.

great point

I think I have to stick with Mylilpony opinion.
CC with 4.0 GPA and transfer to UCF with upper class and Excellent DAT.
Thank you.

I think I have to stick with Mylilpony opinion.
CC with 4.0 GPA and transfer to UCF with upper class and Excellent DAT.
Thank you.

Make sure you check with a professional advisor. At least to make sure it's a Do-able plan. But, that's what I would do. Glad I could help. Good luck! :D

Did you take the TOEFL since English is not your first language? The thing about going to a CC for pre-reqs is that they will be more likely to help out someone that may have trouble with English. However, taking pre-reqs from a CC will take you out of the running for schools like Tufts and Boston. You should also consider the fact that if you think you can't handle the post-bacc program, then how are you going to handle the dental school curriculum?