CC postbacc + online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlaurel380

Reaction score
I am working on a DIY-postbacc but finances are something I have to take into consideration. I am taking classes at a local four year, but I need to mix in some community college courses (my cc offers courses like immunology and histology) to be able to afford all the credits I need to take. Will this be detrimental to my application? Also, will online extension courses through UCLA or UC Berkeley count? They offer some courses that I was unable to register for at the university.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Extension courses are fine. Why do you need to take CC courses? Are you working on a degree?

Reactions: 1 user
No, I’m done with my degree. I can’t afford 12-15 credits of extension/4-year per semester right now, so I take half extension half CC bio electives each semester. I am saving up so I can take more 4 year classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will not be detrimental. I was in a similar position before and contacted every school I was interested in to see if they care if it's at CC or 4year. Every one I contacted said that CC is fine, but you should definitely still have some demonstration of ability to cope with 4 year programs (don't fail your 4 year classes and then take all of them again at once in CC for instance). At the same time though, the CC courses I took actually were among the hardest I have ever had. They really grilled tf out of every concept more than any class I took at 4 year.

Reactions: 2 users
At the same time though, the CC courses I took actually were among the hardest I have ever had. They really grilled tf out of every concept more than any class I took at 4 year.
The god's honest truth. I went to my state flagship school and the post bacc science courses I've taken at my local CC have been far and away more challenging than anything in any of my previous degrees including grad school, lol.

My state has a really solid CC program with profs who are there long-term and only care about teaching, no research and little industry work. All the professors I've had but one have been PhDs and incredibly intelligent, wonderful educators.

Everyone has access to essentially the same content in all but a very few colleges at this point, but you lose out on some opportunities and social capital for the crime of needing to budget your money as an independent adult student. It kind of sucks and definitely doesn't help disadvantaged people out at all. I can barely swing it as a software person with a fairly cushy job, I can barely imagine trying to take classes working full time in a labor or service field for example.

Wish this stigma would finish up dying already. It's lame.

Reactions: 2 users