CC under one administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, surgery, medicine, and anesthesia each have their own governing body for CC, but I heard from a CC fellow that they were going to combine it under one administration/organization so that everyone will be board certified in CC medicine regardless of your background (assuming the background is eligible for CCM).

Anyone else hear similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, surgery, medicine, and anesthesia each have their own governing body for CC, but I heard from a CC fellow that they were going to combine it under one administration/organization so that everyone will be board certified in CC medicine regardless of your background (assuming the background is eligible for CCM).

Anyone else hear similar?

The critical care societies have been discussing this for some time. Unfortunately, leaders at the level of the ABMS and each individual specialty (ABA, ABIM, ABS) have not worked well together towards this goal.

We still have a ways to go for uniform training of fellows (uniform goals and objectives). If this happens, then it will pave the way for a common exam. Once a common exam is accepted, then there may be a stand alone specialty board.

More likely……eventually all 3 will agree on common fellowship goals and objectives, AND we may see ONE common critical care exam that is recognized by each individual specialty (ABA, ABIM, ABS). This will eliminate discrepancies in training and testing.

Europe is piloting this with the CoBaTrICE project. http://www.cobatrice.org/
This has really gotten the attention of our critical care leaders and the project is well done.

We (USA) still have a long way to go before everybody plays nice with each other in the critical care "sandbox".

kg
Nice timely topic NDESTRUKT

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone post the links to the accreditation requirements for the Surgery & Anesthesia CC fellowships? I'd like to compare to see what the differences are between all of them.

Thanks.