CCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jakki said:
Hey there,

Is anyone thinking about living in Oak Park? I'm not from the area, but when I interviewed, one of the admissions staff (Lisa, i think) told me that it was a great place for people in their 20s to live. Does anyone from the area have any thoughts or suggestions?

I live in Oak Park, as do lots of other third and fourth years. It's actually an ideal location in my opinion...close to the city (10-15 minutes by car, or just hop on the el) but cheaper than the city. There's also quite a bit here, lots of restaurants, bars in River Forest, decent downtown area, etc. It's about 30 mins to MWU campus however, which doesn't matter too much to MS-3/4's but might be a pain for others.

If you choose to live out here during the first two years it is certainly doable but you must be willing to put up with about an hour commute (both ways) every day. Personally I liked living close to campus the first two years (5 minute commute). But if you don't mind the drive go for it. Oak Park is a lot more fun than Downers/Lombard/Westmont/Oak Brook Terrace.

Members don't see this ad.

OMG; NO!!!...........So, I was browsing around SDN as usual and I noticed that our precious thread was at the bottom of the page!! :( That is just unacceptable...So...bump! :)

Haha, that's right, the CCOM thread, can't make it to the bottom of the page. ;)

So, since i'm new at the whole loan thing, I was wondering about the question on the loan application for CCOM and paying off interest right away while in school or waiting until after I graduate. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks so much!

Oh yes, and enjoy the weather for the people in the Midwest! Gotta love it and make the best of it, because we all know like next week there will be a blizzard!

Members don't see this ad :)
So when is everyone making the move to Chicago? I'm planning to leave Dallas mid July. I'm looking to rent a condo in Oakbrook/DG, but haven't found one yet. I can't figure out if we should buy or rent. Both my husband and I will be FT students.

Hi. I was accepted back in October and sent my money in January, but I fear on-line message boards. They just seem so geeky. But, since we'll be spending a good chunk of time together in the near future, why not broaden my horizons and give this a try, right?

If I can woo you guys to be my friends...I volunteer at the Shedd, which seems to be a topic of interest (at least back in February) and I would love to go and give you guys the inside scoop. Why the turtle is named "Nickle", which fish survived cancer with chemotherapy, and how old the oldest living Australian lungfish is...I have the answers.

JulieBBonkers said:
If I can woo you guys to be my friends...I volunteer at the Shedd, which seems to be a topic of interest (at least back in February) and I would love to go and give you guys the inside scoop. Why the turtle is named "Nickle", which fish survived cancer with chemotherapy, and how old the oldest living Australian lungfish is...I have the answers.

hmmmm..and you think this online message board is geeky...just kidding, welcome to the club!

JulieBBonkers said:
Hi. I was accepted back in October and sent my money in January, but I fear on-line message boards. They just seem so geeky. But, since we'll be spending a good chunk of time together in the near future, why not broaden my horizons and give this a try, right?

Straight. The Shedd it is. Also, I assure you, I party like a ****ing rockstar.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Straight. The Shedd it is. Also, I assure you, I party like a ****ing rockstar.

Rock on Buckeye!

JulieBBonkers said:

Welcome Julie!
You can be our tour guide at the Shedd :)

IM curious to know, how many of my potential fellow classmates have SO's/husbands/wives?

BERNZ said:
hmmmm..and you think this online message board is geeky...just kidding, welcome to the club!

Yeah, you're right. I'll admit I'm a science geek. But at least I'm in good company on that front, right? Plus I spent all last summer working with kids and animals at the Brookfield Zoo so let's say I have a child-like view of zoos and aquariums. I get really excited. As far as computer geeks...ever since my roommate brought home an internet boyfriend, I've been quite skeptical.

Buckeye...every group needs a censored rock star, right?

Yeah, Im not very appreciative of that censorship, but alas, I don't make the rules.

Have you guys received any emails in your student accounts that are not FAFSA related? I have none so far and I'm wondering if it's just because I'm not doing the fafsa thing.

woohoo to partying like a rockstar and welcome aboard Julie!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been invited to interview at CCOM. My concern is the cost of CCOM.
How difficult is it to obtain resident status for tuition purposes? Also, what
can one expect to spend for an apartment, on campus or off campus?
I am specifically thinking about a one bedroom apartment. What is the commute
time from the north end of Joliette ( I have cousins living there)?

I have interviewed at a couple of out of state schools, and they do not allow you to obtain a resident status for the purpose of decreasing your tuition. I'm not sure about the specifics of CCOM, but what I heard at the other schools was your state of residence on your AACOMAS determined your tuition for all four years.

For a one bedroom apartment in the greater Chicago-land area, I think a fair estimate is somewhere between $500 and $1000 per month, depending on where you live, the size, etc. Communting from Joliet will save you some money, but expect a commute of at least 45 minutes each day, depending on rush hour. Good luck with your interview.

So, I'm not sure if anyone is planning on the on campus housing. I got my assignment today in the mail. Redwood Hall 2. Anyone there too? I wasn't 100% sure what I was ranking when I did it, it all seemed the same to me.

I hope everyone's having a great week and has a great weekend. My weekend starts tomorrow as It'll be one big par-tay for my birthday! :D

I got mine. Aspen. Yeah, there were wayyyyyy to many choices to rank while having any sorta clue.

GRRRR, I dont know if I can go back to living in a dorm room. The last time I lived in a dorm we had to be all sneaky about having beer in the room. I guess that wont happen this time! This is definately gonna only be a one year affair for me and its only because everyone said it was a good idea?

How much does yours cost/quarter?

Yeah I got mine too....Redwood Hall 1, 5th floor. I hope they have an elevator in the building otherwise move-in day will be even more fun!!

Oh, and I just thought of this...anyone know why we aren't allowed to have microwaves in the rooms? Is it some sort of a fire hazzard or something...I don't know the sad part in all of this is that I haven't even gotten to the school yet and I am already thinking about breaking the rules.

samiuam said:
Yeah I got mine too....Redwood Hall 1, 5th floor. I hope they have an elevator in the building otherwise move-in day will be even more fun!!

Oh, and I just thought of this...anyone know why we aren't allowed to have microwaves in the rooms? Is it some sort of a fire hazzard or something...I don't know the sad part in all of this is that I haven't even gotten to the school yet and I am already thinking about breaking the rules.

that's one reason why i chose NOT to live on campus!

So, redwood hall 2 floor 6 is 2170 a quarter. Kind of a lot I suppose. I was paying a little over 4 grand for a year at UW, then again that was awhile ago. I was thinking the same thing you were Buckeye. I think only 1 year for me. But I'm sure it'll be okay, we can make it fun at least! It's going to be weird going back to the dorms. A Room the size of a walnut.

samiuam - I'm pretty sure they have an elevator. Otherwise, I'll be having just as much fun as you will as i'm on the 6th floor. And some, okay most, rules are just made to be broken! That's what's fun! ;)

Stripes said:
So, redwood hall 2 floor 6 is 2170 a quarter. Kind of a lot I suppose. I was paying a little over 4 grand for a year at UW, then again that was awhile ago. I was thinking the same thing you were Buckeye. I think only 1 year for me. But I'm sure it'll be okay, we can make it fun at least! It's going to be weird going back to the dorms. A Room the size of a walnut.

samiuam - I'm pretty sure they have an elevator. Otherwise, I'll be having just as much fun as you will as i'm on the 6th floor. And some, okay most, rules are just made to be broken! That's what's fun! ;)

Mine is only 1734/quarter. I ranked mine according to cost, except for my first choice which was the apartments. I reckon I will have to start figuring out who is cool so I can find a roomate for MS2.

Dorm life sucks, but in a way its kinda cool. Almost like goin back to freshman year, which was loooooots o' fun :D

Hello, everyone! SO I only got on this thread once and since then I have been traveling in Paris and Italy. I finally saved up enough money...props to a year off. Next stop China and the Philippines!
I just got my housing for Redwood 2 level 1. The whole dorm thing seems a bit tramatic but then again there is sure no excuse not to be in class. Plus, I am from the south and right now the whole idea of snow and driving in snow and functioning is snow is quite foreign. So the closer I am to the school the better.
--- Hey, did you get to see the anatomy lab? There were tests during my tour and was just wondering how it was set up. How is the circulation in room? (I know that it will still smell)? How are the bodies kept? Not that it matters...just curious.
Thanks!

You guys are making it sound like I'm gonna miss out on the dorm fun! So Nawlins sounds like you're having a great time...were the guys in Italy as flirtatious and hot as they say?! Sorry I can't remember what the Anatomy lab was like or if we even got to see it for that matter. Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Anyone else doing any traveling before heading off to our first year at CCOM? First year, CCOM...WOOHOO okay, got a little excited there for a sec!

what's this dorm business all about? CCOM hasnt sent me any info on housing. I suppose after my interview, they figured I was just too much of a ladies man to live in a dorm anyway. plus, it may be hard to convince some chicks to come back to my dorm room after partying. I'm looking at getting an apartement in DG that is walking distance to a bar or at least a Bennigans.

Heellllooooo laddiieesss...hows about you and I go back to my closet sized dorm room and practice some sweet OMM techniques...hhhmmmmmm? I cant wait to try that one out! Think it will work?

BERNZ said:
Heellllooooo laddiieesss...hows about you and I go back to my closet sized dorm room and practice some sweet OMM techniques...hhhmmmmmm? I cant wait to try that one out! Think it will work?

It'll work if I use it; probably not for you.

After-parties will occur at llorts house.

Sunsun: Ill be in Manchester, London, Rome, Milan, Florence, Venice, and Kenai, Alaska (King Salmon fishing) this summer.

A lil full of our selves now arent we bucky?...well its game on than buddy!

Well Im on the waitlist for apt. Anyone else? Letter said it is highly unlikely that I will get off the waitlist. Off campus here I come.

Dr. MTB said:
Well Im on the waitlist for apt. Anyone else? Letter said it is highly unlikely that I will get off the waitlist. Off campus here I come.

Hey Dr. MTB,
Is the waitlist just for the apts? What they say about the resident dorms?
Anyone have suggestions on what to sign up for in Redwood or where ever? I know I'm a little late in filling it out, but if I don't get anything, I'll just bunk with cousing who lives about 4 miles away.
Thanks for any input.
Have a good weekend.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Sunsun: Ill be in Manchester, London, Rome, Milan, Florence, Venice, and Kenai, Alaska (King Salmon fishing) this summer.

Buckeye: lucky punk!!

Do any of you guys have any idea whether or not the class is full yet? I have an interview on the 13th. I'm a Chicagoland resident; I made the mistake of not returning my secondary and letters until Feb, so now my chances are looking ever slimmer. thanks for any feedback!

KHep said:
Do any of you guys have any idea whether or not the class is full yet? I have an interview on the 13th. I'm a Chicagoland resident; I made the mistake of not returning my secondary and letters until Feb, so now my chances are looking ever slimmer. thanks for any feedback!

Hey KHep!
I was told that if they are still inviting students for interviews, then there are still open spots. I'm not sure how many open seats are left.
Good luck on your interview!

Chachie2682 said:
Hey KHep!
I was told that if they are still inviting students for interviews, then there are still open spots. I'm not sure how many open seats are left.
Good luck on your interview!

That is FANTASTIC news! Thanks so much!

Chachie,
the way I understood the letter is that if it has a private bathroom (apt or residence halls) then the chances of getting it are slim to none. I filled my app out in the last week of february.

Hi Everyone!

I've been either traveling, packing/unpacking or entertaining houseguests since 3/21, so I have just now caught up with the latest postings.

KHep, good luck with your interview. Don't worry about the class size; if they have invited you, they want to get to know you and admit you.

Julie and Nawlins, welcome to our class and to our discussion!

Congrats to all of you who are receiving your on-campus apartment assignments. You will surely enjoy being right in center of activity.

Well, we survived our trip to Chicago over Easter weekend. It snowed all day on Friday, big wet snowflakes which made it very tough to see where we were going. We visited the MWU campus and I did have to show my acceptance letter to the gate guard. She was nice and gave us a pass to drive around the campus. She asked if we wanted to enter any of the buildings, which seemed to require a call to admissions. Due to the weather, we declined. So, if any of you decide to visit before orientation, make certain to have some sort of ID or admissions communication with you.

Our househunting expedition was frustrating and difficult, but ultimately successful. We have decided on Naperville, even though it is further west than where we wanted to live. The town is so clean, green and well-designed. We found a great realtor and the ball is rolling now. We plan to return in late May or early June to actually choose our new home (once we have a contract on our St. Louis house).

The Oak Park/River Forest area is a beautiful, historic and thriving community. I think it would be a fantastic halfway location for the 1st two years in Downers and also for the clinical rotation years with easy access to the downtown hospitals. We would love to live there, but the homes are WAYYYYY too expensive ($400K for a small 2-3 bedroom bungalow--yikes!!!) The rental market there is much more competitive, but parking is at a premium so many apartment dwellers store their cars and walk to the train station. If I were childless and not living on campus, Oak Park would be my top choice area.

Well, got to go now, but I just wanted to check in and let you all know about the trip. Good luck to all of you who are beginning the search for your new home or apartment off campus. It is a challenge, but fun, too!

P.S. A huge thanks to Frazier, whose thoughtful and accurate comments about Chicago living have helped us tremendously.
:love:

Thanks for the encouraging words, Manifesting! With a little luck, I may get to join in on your other topics soon.

BTW, we have really good friends and some cousins living in Naperville, so let me know if you need any feedback on the public schools there.

hi everyone! i'll be joining you all at mwu next fall-- woot! just wanted to hear from those of you who went to this meet and greet thing on saturday-- any fun? any cool kids not posting on sdn? i skipped because 1) i live 4 hours away, and 2) it was my birthday (momentous 22)!

ps-- i'm planning on living off campus so if the drinking on campus thing doesn't work out, we can party at my place!

Hey Manifesting,
Glad to hear that you are back. Thanks on the input for bring info when visiting the campus. Good to hear that your are settling in Naperville, good luck with the rest of your moving journey :)

Hey Squashy,
Welcome to our class! I was working on Saturday so I couldn't make it either. That's okay, we can make our own "meet and greet" thing over the summer!

Thanks for the feedback Dr. MTB!

Squashy409 said:
hi everyone! i'll be joining you all at mwu next fall-- woot! just wanted to hear from those of you who went to this meet and greet thing on saturday-- any fun? any cool kids not posting on sdn? i skipped because 1) i live 4 hours away, and 2) it was my birthday (momentous 22)!

ps-- i'm planning on living off campus so if the drinking on campus thing doesn't work out, we can party at my place!

Happy Belated Birthday!

Hello beautiful people! I hope everyone is enjoying the weather as much as I have the past few days!

Congrats Squashy on CCOM! I'll take ya up on partying anytime at your place!

Yay Manifesting! Congrats on finding a house! I bet it's really exciting!

Buckeye, oh how I wish to be you and going to all the marvelous places. I guess CA will have to do.

Oh, so has anyone had titers done at CCOM? Apparantly CCOM doesn't accept some of the test results I got from my school so I have to get them done down there. Oh the joys of having blood drawn and huge bruises on my arms so I look like a druggie.

Yeah, I havent even started the hep series. I guess I should start that.

Stripes said:
Hello beautiful people! I hope everyone is enjoying the weather as much as I have the past few days!

Congrats Squashy on CCOM! I'll take ya up on partying anytime at your place!

Yay Manifesting! Congrats on finding a house! I bet it's really exciting!

Buckeye, oh how I wish to be you and going to all the marvelous places. I guess CA will have to do.

Oh, so has anyone had titers done at CCOM? Apparantly CCOM doesn't accept some of the test results I got from my school so I have to get them done down there. Oh the joys of having blood drawn and huge bruises on my arms so I look like a druggie.

The only thing that I started was the hep shots, everything else...not yet.
Great weather we are having, very sunny!

Welcome, Squashy!!! It is wonderful to have you join us. Congratulations.

Hiya, Chachie & Stripes! Thank you for your sweet, supportive comments about our move. We love Naperville and will actually select our new home from the listings available in early June, once the kids are out of school and we have a sale contract on our current home. This whole concept of relocating my family is just so big, scary, exciting and consuming. It is very sweet of you to take an interest & to be happy for our progress. Your sincerity feels like a warm hug!

I also wish to express my thanks to all of you '09ers who have tolerated my many questions about Chicagoland and/or who have contributed such helpful "insider" information about communities, schools, transportation, etc. I know that I am much older than most of you and I do tend to over-analyze things, so I can only imagine what a bore I've been. Thank you for accepting and supporting me these last few months. If this discussion group is representative of our class as a whole, I know I will be very pleased with my decision to attend CCOM.

Oh, I forgot! I was so busy gushing that I did not post about the shots/titers!
I had my 2nd Hep B vaccine yesterday and have very little soreness. My doc wrote a lab slip for the titers, but it sounds like my insurance will not cover them and the charge for each titer is about $20 more than the MWU charge. I'll have to dig out my folder and check on the deadline, but is anyone planning to wait until August and have the titers completed at student health?
I think I am on schedule to have my 3rd and final Hep B shot during the October clinic and then the titer on that will be the last step. I hope...

Manifesting, a preemptive welcome to the Western suburbs. Do you know where you will be living in Naperville (since it's the size of a small city)?

Squashy, welcome to the club!

The titers were not that bad. I had my uncle (a pulmonary disease doctor) write a scrip to have me get the labs drawn at the hospital I work at. They stuck me once but used 4 tubes to get all the blood they needed. Very simple and painless, and the best thing is that I didn't have to pay for it. So I do not understand why any insurance would not pay for these titers, unless it's an HMO (crazy HMO's!). For those who have not had them drawn, from what I inferred in the university's letter, they all of this done by the time classes start, so if have a low titer, you will need to get a booster and maybe another titer before classes.

Hope everyone's weather is warming up like here in Chi-town. (I think we're finally done with winter)

Hey guys...just logged on and wanted to tell you not to fret about your titers and what not. If they are too expensive and you dont want to spend the money...you can wait till you get there and they have one day in the fall i think in sept or oct. where they can bill you on your bursar bill...so it comes out of your loans...hope that helps

tovah

Frazier135 said:
Manifesting, a preemptive welcome to the Western suburbs. Do you know where you will be living in Naperville (since it's the size of a small city)?

Squashy, welcome to the club!

The titers were not that bad. I had my uncle (a pulmonary disease doctor) write a scrip to have me get the labs drawn at the hospital I work at. They stuck me once but used 4 tubes to get all the blood they needed. Very simple and painless, and the best thing is that I didn't have to pay for it. So I do not understand why any insurance would not pay for these titers, unless it's an HMO (crazy HMO's!). For those who have not had them drawn, from what I inferred in the university's letter, they all of this done by the time classes start, so if have a low titer, you will need to get a booster and maybe another titer before classes.

Hope everyone's weather is warming up like here in Chi-town. (I think we're finally done with winter)

HoosierDO said:
Hey guys...just logged on and wanted to tell you not to fret about your titers and what not. If they are too expensive and you dont want to spend the money...you can wait till you get there and they have one day in the fall i think in sept or oct. where they can bill you on your bursar bill...so it comes out of your loans...hope that helps

tovah

Sweet, thanks for the tip!

Studio available in Downers Grove Illinois less than 5 minutes from CCOM.

$800 includes utilities. Email: [email protected] for more information!

www.ccomforum.tk

new and existing students check it out-still going since '03-if anyone is interested in championing a new section please feel free to drop me a message. For example, apartment listings, recommended book/supplies, etc etc.

kb -ms-III