CCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by cbrons
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rotations, curriculum, early patient contact experience... just don't say that you don't have any questions

wouldn't most (if not all) information about these be given at their presentation? i don't wanna look like i didn't pay attention to that and have to later ask question....
 
wouldn't most (if not all) information about these be given at their presentation? i don't wanna look like i didn't pay attention to that and have to later ask question....


You should ask them how long it will take to receive your acceptance. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wouldn't most (if not all) information about these be given at their presentation? i don't wanna look like i didn't pay attention to that and have to later ask question....

Yeah, I usually say something like "Well the presentation earlier answered a lot of my questions, but [insert one or two other questions here]?" Or if you have the interview before the presentation, then you can ask whatever. It depends on who is interviewing you too. At LECOM-B I had two of the faculty members who kind of hung around for a lot of the interview day so they knew what information we got in the presentations. At AZCOM, none of my interviewers were at the presentations so I could have feasibly asked questions that were already answered for me during the presentation since they didn't hear all the material that we were given earlier in the day.
 
Yeah, I usually say something like "Well the presentation earlier answered a lot of my questions, but [insert one or two other questions here]?" Or if you have the interview before the presentation, then you can ask whatever. It depends on who is interviewing you too. At LECOM-B I had two of the faculty members who kind of hung around for a lot of the interview day so they knew what information we got in the presentations. At AZCOM, none of my interviewers were at the presentations so I could have feasibly asked questions that were already answered for me during the presentation since they didn't hear all the material that we were given earlier in the day.

nice trick, i haven't thought of that. 😀
 
nice trick, i haven't thought of that. 😀

ask the prof about their research (most do some form of research), if tehy have any tips for you in whatever area they are teaching, ask the do about how they use omm or about theur rotatione xperience...same for the student.


but as been said...ask something.
 
I was actually on campus this past Wednesday. I have been shadowing a DO anesthesiologist who helps teach OM lab and she offered to let me accompany her while she was there. It was a great experience and it definitely reinforced my desire to become an osteopathic physician. I left thinking " wow i would love to learn how to do that."

Everyone i met that day from the head of the OM department to the students were very welcoming and nice. I'm looking forward to hopefully sitting in on a few more labs since i will take my MCAT next summer and apply the summer after that.

Good luck to everyone who applied!
 
Got a rejection letter by snail mail this past Saturday... After I got back from the AZCOM interview too! Oh well... I 😍 AZCOM more anyway!

Sent out to them on June 6th, secondary done June 22nd, Complete mid July... Rejected Sept 18th. 🙁
 
Got a rejection letter by snail mail this past Saturday... After I got back from the AZCOM interview too! Oh well... I 😍 AZCOM more anyway!

Sent out to them on June 6th, secondary done June 22nd, Complete mid July... Rejected Sept 18th. 🙁

Sorry to hear it. I just checked my application checklist, and suddenly they are "unable to find my information". I hope this doesn't mean the bug bummer is coming to me as well.

Congrats on the acceptance though!
 
finally heard back! came home today to find the rejection letter

Got a rejection letter by snail mail this past Saturday... After I got back from the AZCOM interview too! Oh well... I 😍 AZCOM more anyway!

Sent out to them on June 6th, secondary done June 22nd, Complete mid July... Rejected Sept 18th. 🙁


I'm sorry guys. Looks like they're being pretty tough on the acceptances after interviews so far.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have an interview next week here. im so ridiculously nervous, terrified, and excited all at the same time. CCOM seems like an awesome school.
 
I got my very courteous "thanks but no thanks" letter from CCOM today.

Oh well, life goes on. So does the rest of the process....

Good luck to everyone who has interviewed or will soon!
 
I will be checking the portal obsessively from now till mid-October. I love this school so much!!! 😀
 
Got my 2nd interview of the year coming up here on Tuesday. Any words of wisdom/advice about CCOM's interviewing process/questions etc...? For example, DMU rarely ever asks any healthcare/ethical questions, but I have heard CCOM likes them. Consensus?
 
Got my 2nd interview of the year coming up here on Tuesday. Any words of wisdom/advice about CCOM's interviewing process/questions etc...? For example, DMU rarely ever asks any healthcare/ethical questions, but I have heard CCOM likes them. Consensus?

I was the very first interview of the year. I didn't get any ethics questions. A girl in my interview group said she got three though. Overall, the interview was very laid back.
 
Even if we are interviewing on the 28th? Oh boy. lol

that would probably depend...they may put you in octobers meeting. i really do not know since they have not interviewed too many times yet how they work the beginning.

when i interviewed it was the end of january and i thought i had missed the meeting but was pleasantly surprised when the admissions person told us we were in the next adcom meeting which was thursday the following week (i interviewed on a friday) so you never know
 
Last year, people posted that they got the first round of decisions on October 8. At our interview, Mr. Laken said they'd be meeting next week or the first week of October. I just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure.

Anyone know what the composition of the admissions committee is?
 
Last year, people posted that they got the first round of decisions on October 8. At our interview, Mr. Laken said they'd be meeting next week or the first week of October. I just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure.

Anyone know what the composition of the admissions committee is?

and i thought i was the only nerdy one who read through the entire thread last year to find the first day ppl posted about their acceptance... i'm so counting down to Oct 8.... 😀
 
I was accepted today to MSUCOM and I feel so relieved. I will be canceling all of my other interviews and withdrawing all of my other applications except for CCOM. Even if I don't get accepted here I'm happy knowing that I have another option! I felt only so-so about my CCOM interview which was a huge bummer because I love the school. It didn't feel conversational or relaxed to me. But I feel much less stressed waiting to hear from them now.

The best part of the interview day was talking to current students. We were sitting in a room with 2 walls made of glass, and it felt like a fishbowl. But sooooo many students came in talked with us. They were warm, welcoming, relaxed and confident. I really like how they stressed the supportive attitude rather than competition in classes. I can see myself at CCOM, but we'll see if the admissions committee agrees...

Good luck with upcoming interviews!
 
I was accepted today to MSUCOM and I feel so relieved. I will be canceling all of my other interviews and withdrawing all of my other applications except for CCOM. Even if I don't get accepted here I'm happy knowing that I have another option! I felt only so-so about my CCOM interview which was a huge bummer because I love the school. It didn't feel conversational or relaxed to me. But I feel much less stressed waiting to hear from them now.

The best part of the interview day was talking to current students. We were sitting in a room with 2 walls made of glass, and it felt like a fishbowl. But sooooo many students came in talked with us. They were warm, welcoming, relaxed and confident. I really like how they stressed the supportive attitude rather than competition in classes. I can see myself at CCOM, but we'll see if the admissions committee agrees...

Good luck with upcoming interviews!

Hey congrats 🙂. I bet it's a relief.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted today to MSUCOM and I feel so relieved. I will be canceling all of my other interviews and withdrawing all of my other applications except for CCOM. Even if I don't get accepted here I'm happy knowing that I have another option! I felt only so-so about my CCOM interview which was a huge bummer because I love the school. It didn't feel conversational or relaxed to me. But I feel much less stressed waiting to hear from them now.

The best part of the interview day was talking to current students. We were sitting in a room with 2 walls made of glass, and it felt like a fishbowl. But sooooo many students came in talked with us. They were warm, welcoming, relaxed and confident. I really like how they stressed the supportive attitude rather than competition in classes. I can see myself at CCOM, but we'll see if the admissions committee agrees...

Good luck with upcoming interviews!

Congrats, playultimate15, i bet it feels great to be on the acceptance side!!! I hope I will be there soon
 
I interviewed this week and the admissions director told us that we would hear in 4-6 weeks :/ I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait that long!

Well maybe he meant that you wouldn't get a letter till around that time. On the other hand, the MW portal may update your status before then... I don't know. I don't like waiting at all whatsoever.
 
I interviewed this week and the admissions director told us that we would hear in 4-6 weeks :/ I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait that long!

yeah for our group, he told us that we will definitely receive a decision in writing (by mail) by mid-October. but hopefully we get the portal update before that :xf::xf::xf:
 
I was accepted today to MSUCOM and I feel so relieved. I will be canceling all of my other interviews and withdrawing all of my other applications except for CCOM. Even if I don't get accepted here I'm happy knowing that I have another option! I felt only so-so about my CCOM interview which was a huge bummer because I love the school. It didn't feel conversational or relaxed to me. But I feel much less stressed waiting to hear from them now.

The best part of the interview day was talking to current students. We were sitting in a room with 2 walls made of glass, and it felt like a fishbowl. But sooooo many students came in talked with us. They were warm, welcoming, relaxed and confident. I really like how they stressed the supportive attitude rather than competition in classes. I can see myself at CCOM, but we'll see if the admissions committee agrees...

Good luck with upcoming interviews!

congrats on your acceptance!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know what the composition of the admissions committee is?



if you were the admissions director you would have to ask yourself who you would want to make a decision about the people who should be in your school.

i think you will find your answer to be in line with the composition of said committee
 
So I still have no interview and no rejection letter.
What's the deal I wonder.
 
So I still have no interview and no rejection letter.
What's the deal I wonder.

everyone needs to relax here. its september, the application/interview process is looong. another day without an interview or rejection is another day that your app is still being considered. there are many kids in our class who didnt receive interview invites/interview here until march. just take a deep breath, and let what will be, be.