CCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This one is in my backyard, so I'm anxious to get the secondary. I visited there my junior year when I was dating a girl in Downers Grove. Its a pretty ballin' neighborhood, mansions line up outside the entrance.

There's also a pharmacy and PA school (and I think something else) there. It's a pretty enclosed area and as you drive up to the guarded entryway it feels like you're headed to Langley. The campus is absolutely amazing though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Monday, June 21

CCOM Secondary Essays (Both essays limited to 1,500 characters):
(Thank you FutureDoc1988)

1. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of Osteopathic Medical Education you are seeking?

2. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

Update: Friday, August 20

First round of interview invites started rolling out August 19.

Earliest date for interview is Friday, September 18 and notification is via e-mail. Good luck to all those interviewing! First acceptance offers and dates will be in next update.

Update: Monday, September 13

Checking over last year's thread, it looks like the first batch of acceptances were sent out as early as 10/08/2009. The committee apparently meets at the end of every month and the Dean must sign off on all of the acceptance recommendations before an applicants status is updated on the MWU student portal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They used to give tours there and let you talk to adcoms at the end. I'm gunna call up tomorrow and see if they still do that. If so, ill post the date I'm going (I think they do it every two weeks or so) if anyone else is interested.

A friend of mine just started PA school at MWU and she said it's amazing. I'm also applying to CCOM...good luck to you. Still "Submitted to AACOMAS" status...no secondaries yet :(

I haven't submitted my application yet. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a girl in pharmacy school there as well and she loves it, I'm telling you its a pretty cool campus

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

I think they offer tours on tuesdays and fridays at 9. thats what the lady on the phone told me but she said it could change during the summer.
I think Im going to try and visit in august

Anyone know about any regional bias of this school? Their website says Top Home States: Illinois (58%), Indiana, Wisconsin.
I guess that is a slight regional bias. Anyone have any input?

Received Secondary.
The prompts are
1. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of Osteopathic Medical Education you are seeking?

2. Why should CCOM accept you into this years class?

Both essays limited to 1,500 characters

well, Ive submitted my primaries to them...but without LORs (still waiting on two to come through)

Does anyone know if I can still get a secondary without the LORs submitted?

well, Ive submitted my primaries to them...but without LORs (still waiting on two to come through)

Does anyone know if I can still get a secondary without the LORs submitted?

Yeah you can get the secondary without the LORs submitted. I am still waiting on my committee letter but I got the secondary today. You submit the LORs with the secondary, you don't need to have them in before.

If anyone has questions just lemme know and I will try to do my best to answer them. I'm very excited to start at CCOM this coming fall :)

Received Secondary.
The prompts are

2. Why should CCOM accept you into this years class?

Both essays limited to 1,500 characters

I recieved my secondaries today as well! Good luck!@

Members don't see this ad :)
First interview invites from last year appear to be late August.

Anyone know about any regional bias of this school? Their website says Top Home States: Illinois (58%), Indiana, Wisconsin.
I guess that is a slight regional bias. Anyone have any input?

They don't have a regional bias, and I'm also pretty sure most other private schools (DO or MD) won't care where you're from. The regional concentration in the stats is probably more related to applicant biases. I got in from Colorado, if that helps. Definitely apply if you're interested, it's the best school ever.

What students are gunna be on campus this Friday (I have a tour there scheduled w a group)? I understand class isn't in session but is anyone there (for whatever reason) anyway? I wanna hear the real down low.

Thanks Dr Skeptismo.
Does anyone know if they accept LORs via interfolio? The DOCIB says they do, but the secondary instructions state: Letters must be sent directly from the evaluator and must be printed on letterhead stationary, which includes the complete contact information for the evaluator.

Are they strict about this? I have no idea if my letters are on letterhead stationary or not... I guess I better start to let my writers know that it matters.

Thanks Dr Skeptismo.
Does anyone know if they accept LORs via interfolio? The DOCIB says they do, but the secondary instructions state: Letters must be sent directly from the evaluator and must be printed on letterhead stationary, which includes the complete contact information for the evaluator.

Are they strict about this? I have no idea if my letters are on letterhead stationary or not... I guess I better start to let my writers know that it matters.

Call Interfolio and ask if the letters are on Letterhead.

What students are gunna be on campus this Friday (I have a tour there scheduled w a group)? I understand class isn't in session but is anyone there (for whatever reason) anyway? I wanna hear the real down low.

i will be around working on my thesis research.....i woudl be happy to meet for coffee and you can pick my brain.

i love it there and that is precisely why i am applying again while i am on the waitlist...i *know* this is where i want to be!!!

Thanks Dr Skeptismo.

Interfolio is fine. You should read "Letters must be sent directly from evaluator" to mean "Letters shouldn't be sent from the applicant." Pretty sure the school just wants to make sure the letters are legit. Did you get a committee letter? If you did, you should be set... as long as your committee sends it out on time:xf:

If anyone has questions just lemme know and I will try to do my best to answer them. I'm very excited to start at CCOM this coming fall :)

Hi Spartan,

I have a couple questions about CCOM:

1. What would you say are some characteristics that make CCOM unique to other schools with D.O. programs? (Any unique core principles/values, community programs, grants/scholarships, approaches in teaching...?)

2. Do you know what kind of personalities typically comprise CCOM's student body? (Is it a competitive environment or very laid back? Are students generally multidisciplinary, extra-curricular, well-traveled, conservative, etc.?)

Any feedback you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Jenna

:)

Last edited:
Hi Spartan,

1. What would you say are some characteristics that make CCOM unique to other schools with D.O. programs? (Any unique core principles/values, community programs, grants/scholarships, approaches in teaching...?)

2. Do you know what kind of personalities typically comprise CCOM's student body? (Is it a competitive environment or very laid back? Are students generally multidisciplinary, extra-curricular, well-traveled, conservative, etc.?)

Many thanks,

Jenna

I would love to know this too because I don't think I'll get a chance to visit the campus until I have an interview (hopefully that will happen :D ). It seems like the campus is fantastic, but what is the student body like?

Hi Spartan,

Many thanks,

Jenna

having been here for the past 2 years in the masters program i will also chime in

1. there is an exhaustive emphasis on community service. there are plenty of opportunities to do so and be involved in and around cmapus. there is also an open door policy among the faculty...you can walk into any faculty office any time and ask a question. the profs here really do support you and want to do everything in their power to help you succeed.

2. fom my experience, everyone is very cooperative and laid back. obviously there are the extremes...but in general every med student i have encountered is wonderful and giving and helpful to each other.

mwu is truely a very unique and wonderful place to be :)

Thanks Dr Skeptismo.

How many LORs do they need then? The DO that I shadowed doesn't have letterhead :eek:

Hello CCOMers 2015!

I am very interested in family & preventative medicine and how it relates and can be applied globally. I understand that CCOM has some 17 hospitals and facilities in which to complete rotations and that they are highly focused on community service, but to they have global rotation opportunities? I know that some medical schools have an international rotation option. I haven't been able to find that much about it on CCOM. Any ideas?

Thank you, and best of luck!

Last edited:
Hello CCOMers 2015!

I am very interested in family & preventative medicine and how it relates and can be applied globally. I understand that CCOM has some 17 hospitals and facilities in which to complete rotations and that they are highly focused on community service, but to they have global rotation opportunities? I know that some medical schools have an international rotation option. I haven't been able to find that much about it on CCOM. Any ideas?

Thank you, and best of luck!

Global rotation opportunities? Not that I know of. Those would probably have to be set up independently like you would an away rotation. I know some medical trips, if they're long enough and with the right group, offer rotation credit but again that has to be set up by you.

You'll find PA, PT, OT students but few med students unless they're doing research or you visit on a day the 4th yrs are there for class.

Hi Spartan,

Many thanks,

Jenna

For your first question, we are a well-established DO school so we do have a rich history and tradition that some others do not. They try to involve the osteopathic philosophy in a lot of different classes, not just OMM. We're involved with running several different clinics in the suburbs and in Chicago as well as host health fairs, etc so there's definitely community involvement. Grants and scholarships you'll need to seek out but I think the school only offers some need based ones. Teaching is generally lecture based but there is inclusion of more team based approaches in some classes.

With all med schools you're going to have some gunners but the vast majority of our class is laid-back and gets along really well. From my experience, no one's tried to screw anyone over and there's always study guides that get mailed around to everyone. The average age for my class was 24 so most people had spent some time working, doing research, etc after undergrad. In fact, only 20% of our class was straight from undergrad. The different experiences definitely bring a lot to the table which I think only help with classes. Our class gets along really well and I think that's true of the older classes too.

Does CCOM have problem based learning integrated into the curriculum at all?

Global rotation opportunities? Not that I know of. Those would probably have to be set up independently like you would an away rotation. I know some medical trips, if they're long enough and with the right group, offer rotation credit but again that has to be set up by you.

Thank you! I am aware that some schools offer an international rotation as a rotation elective in the fourth year. In my research into CCOM, I couldn't find anything similar. Thanks again.

Does CCOM have problem based learning integrated into the curriculum at all?

Nope, we do have clinical correlation cases and cases in physio but PBL is a whole different beast.

edrunner, thank you for all that info. I just got my secondary and am very excited about the possibility of going here.

I live about 30 mins from Downers Grove, do many people you know who came from chicago land commute? or do they live near campus.

Hey, Can any CCOM students talk about how helpful the faculty is? Do you feel as though you get a good amount of mentoring about "how to be a doctor," opportunities you can pursue and things like that? Does anyone know about its family friendliness?

edrunner, thank you for all that info. I just got my secondary and am very excited about the possibility of going here.

I live about 30 mins from Downers Grove, do many people you know who came from chicago land commute? or do they live near campus.

those that live closer tend to commute...i live in the nw burbs about 50 -55 min drive (33 miles) and i commute

and i will not be applying since i got the call today and will be in the class of 2014!!!

i wish you all the best of luck with the application cycle!!!!

Just went on a tour today and it was really nice! Everyone I talked to was very friendly and I got a good vibe overall. The area is nice, but the whole commuter campus aspect isn't a huge plus for me coming from the Illinois Champaign campus, and doing a master's program in the city. I suppose I'll be too busy to notice where I am.

For those of you that have toured..do you know what days/times they tour? I was going to call later this week to set up a tour but I was just wondering.
Thanks

Soooooooo...

Has anyone heard/learned anything at all?

^^^Gainsville...... did you go on the tour with me?

^^^Gainsville...... did you go on the tour with me?
No, I haven't been up to see the school. But i do not like that there are more Florida kids applying there. I like competition except in this med school thing haha

how fast are you guys turning in the secondary? I received mine just a couple days ago and I'm not sure if I need to be in a rush right now...

how fast are you guys turning in the secondary? I received mine just a couple days ago and I'm not sure if I need to be in a rush right now...

I turned mine in the day I got it I think. Was complete on the 28th including letters

If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process, or about the commuting (I'm from about 30min away of campus), feel free to ask me. I am starting here in a few weeks!

If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process, or about the commuting (I'm from about 30min away of campus), feel free to ask me. I am starting here in a few weeks!

ditto to the above.

i have been commuting the past two years as a masters student and will continue to do so as a med student. my commute is about an hour so it is on the long side.

but i would be happy to answer any questions about campus or the area, i have been a chicago resident most of my adult life :)

I have a question for you guys. I got two emails from CCOM, one telling me to submit a secondary and another one today talking about how I made a good decision choosing CCOM and its strengths. Is this a reminder for me to submit my secondary? I was taking my time to write a good essay but it has been close to a week since I received the secondary and I can't work on it more until tues or so. Are you guys going by the two weeks rule to return secondary applications to schools??

I have a question for you guys. I got two emails from CCOM, one telling me to submit a secondary and another one today talking about how I made a good decision choosing CCOM and its strengths. Is this a reminder for me to submit my secondary? I was taking my time to write a good essay but it has been close to a week since I received the secondary and I can't work on it more until tues or so. Are you guys going by the two weeks rule to return secondary applications to schools??

I don't think it's a reminder to complete the secondary. I got an email from them that I was complete on 7/2 and then received a "Why Consider CCOM?" email on 7/4. (I'm guessing it was the same one you got? or similar)

I don't think it's a reminder to complete the secondary. I got an email from them that I was complete on 7/2 and then received a "Why Consider CCOM?" email on 7/4. (I'm guessing it was the same one you got? or similar)

Same. I vaguely remember them sending out a similar e-mail last year despite me having already been complete. It also cant hurt since it will give you some ideas on what to write about.