CCOM (Midwestern U) Biomed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nweb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this program?

It seems pretty decent for a pre-DO like myself...I'm kind of unenthusiastic about the requirement of fulfilling a master's thesis and research in the second year, but good course content.

Let me know,
THANKS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there NWEB sorry that it took me a while to get back to you. Anyway...i loved the program here at Midwestern University...but keep in mind that i was not a biomed student....i was an at large student in the biomed program. The only difference is that the profs new that I was not going for my masters, and that I was completing the work to prove myself for medical school. AS for the course content I thought it was great, but i only took two classes per quarter...i chose biochem and physio...great classes with great profs. Very challenging but great prep for medical school. Some of the other classes seemed quite boring but they are classes that you would have to take at any masters program (reserach methods, etc.) So if you are sure that you want to complete your masters its a great program...but if you are only doing it to get into medical school there is another option which is what i did. This year id say that 80% of the biomeds applied to medical school...i know that 3 of us got in here at CCOM...the others are still waiting!

I hopt that that helped a little...i tried to respond to your pm but couldnt get it to work...i will surely keep up with this thread to answer anymore questions!!!

Well actually, it seemed like the Master's degree option was the only way for me take the grad level courses at Midwestern. Either they don't publicly advertise the program option that you are in, or I couldn't find it on the webpage. I have spent the past three years of my life in research and would rather have a route with coursework only to boost the med school app.
They have a grad certificate program at PCOM that I was actually leaning toward attending because they have coursework in the first year and you can continue in the second for the master's (if you want it).

Anyway, can you please direct me to more info on partaking in only courses at midwestern?

Thank you so much for your help.

You are so right that they do not advertise anything about the at large student option. If you go to www.midwestern.edu and log onto their biomedical page, you will see one or two sentences in there maybe under the curricula section about taking classes as an at large/non-degree seeking student. Like i said...it will only allow you to take two classes per quarter so if you feel like you need a whole lot of improvement on your application a certificate program might be best. dont hesitate to ask questions...ill answer them to the best of my ability.