CCOM versus Western COMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2019Hoos

Reaction score
CCOM
Pros: Option to have in-person class/watch recorded lectures
Seems to be more research opportunities
Tons of rotation sites in Cook County/greater Chicagoland area
Beautiful campus in a nice area
Excellent match, seems to place more students into competitive specialty residencies than WesternU (which is what I am interested in)

Cons:
Extremely expensive
Far from friends/family
Graded curriculum
STEP/COMLEX prep doesn't seem the best, during my interview they said they expected the curriculum to cover the material, don't offer as much time off to study

COMP:
Pros: Established Rotation positions
Location: California, closer to family/friends, better chance of california residency
Tuition: cheaper than CCOM
Grading: Honors/P/F
Match: excellent match, 100% in 2023 I believe

Cons:
Research seems a little shaky
Seems to be some BS mandatory classes
Not sure how much they prep you for USMLE versus COMLEX
I've heard campus isn't in the best area

I am originally from Northern California, so I am somewhat familiar with the southern California area. I've never been to Chicago, but hear great things. I know how competitive it is, and I know that everything is subject to change once you begin medical school, but for the time being I am interested in pursuing Ortho. I want to attend the school that best prepares me to match into this specialty. Thank you to anyone who has any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I may be mistaken but I believe the mandatory attendance Western has that CCOM does not (ie, excluding OMM, anatomy lab) are only (or mostly) during the conference weeks at the end of each block in pre-clinical and 4 times in 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 user