Western COMP vs TUCOM CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenAnne1229

Reaction score
I am from OR and currently deciding between two acceptances at my top DO schools. I would like to stay on the west coast, and have been lucky enough to receive acceptances from both Western U COMP in Pamona and TUCOM CA in Vallejo.

I have spent some time in San Francisco visiting family, and also have friends/family in the LA area. From my research, the schools have comparable stats, solid reputations, high match rates, and high boards pass rates. I am interested in public health/community health, and will likely pursue IM (or more broadly primary care) although I have contemplated OBGYN as well.

I recognize that Western has a larger class size compared to TUCOM CA, but I don't feel that either class size is a pro/con for me at this time. Both schools are P/F (western uses a H/HP/P/F specifically). Being from OR, weather is not as much a concern for me, but commuting/traffic, especially on rotations, is something I am not familiar with in terms of how these two schools compare.

Any and all thoughts are helpful! Does anyone have insight specifically on geographic location, cost of living (pricy at both it seems), or rotation locations/quality (I couldn't get a clear assessment during interview day if one school had more established rotation sites than the other). I tour both schools in the next month.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
HI!! Im in the same boat! I live in Northern CA, but went to SoCal for school. They are both expensive won't lie. Traffic in Northern CA is better than in SoCal. I was planning to reach out to both schools financial aid office to see if they have a list of affordable housing nearby. I know Touro NV has one so figured Id ask. I have no clue wehre Im going, Im also deciding between those 2 and also Touro NV. But thats where Im starting if that helps.